Somebody explain to me why non-PPR still exists? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Somebody explain to me why non-PPR still exists?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Somebody explain to me why non-PPR still exists?

Postby murphysxm » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:25 pm

I am in multiple leagues and have one that is still non-PPR. I hate it and decided to drop it this year. I just don't get why that format is still out there. PPR allows for so much more strategy and skill. I am just looking for people's opinions on the other side of the fence.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 222)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Somebody explain to me why non-PPR still exists?

Postby Matthias » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:56 pm

I don't think "strategy and skill" mean what you think they mean.

Adding PPR changes projected player values. It doesn't really make it a deeper or more difficult or more fulfilling game. It's still the same game. Project player points. Get as many of them as you can. None of my leagues are PPR but they have their own individual scoring which make them more interesting.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby murphysxm » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:47 pm

i guess my biggest gripe is how it makes RB's so important. In PPR you draft different positions because you can get equal points acrross positions. In standard scoring you have to be strong at rb or you are in a hole.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 222)

Postby mattb47 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:51 pm

And then many would argue that 1 PPR would tend to overvalue the WRs. There isn't really going to be a scoring system in which a certain positions (or positions) aren't going to be more valuable than others. I do like PPR but I understand when people don't want it and I don't think it's a huge deal. I think the biggest difference it makes is just in there being more reasonable options at flex positions...personally, I think RBs are still just as important in PPR leagues because there is a greater divide between the elite PPR backs and everyone else.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Somebody explain to me why we still have drafts and everyone hasn't moved onto an auction already. They're so much more fun.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby u_fig_eater » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:43 pm

To me, awarding PPR seems artificial. You get the same amount of points whether the receiver made a 40-yard catch or a -2 yard catch. Why should a receiver get PPR when a running back doesn't get points per carry? And a QB doesn't get points per completion. It just seems like a "free stat" that doesn't vibe with me.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:55 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:To me, awarding PPR seems artificial. You get the same amount of points whether the receiver made a 40-yard catch or a -2 yard catch. Why should a receiver get PPR when a running back doesn't get points per carry? And a QB doesn't get points per completion. It just seems like a "free stat" that doesn't vibe with me.

Catching a pass requires more skill than taking a handoff. I am a PPR supporter. I feel it adds more realism to the game, in addition to adding different options for building a successful team. In the real game, players who catch dump-off passes and possesion receivers are very valuable to a team as the studs who score the bulk of the TDs. I also like the way it changes a draft. No longer is the first round a RB suasage fest, after the first 4-6 RBs there are WRs who scores as well as RBs left. Gives it a different look and makes it possible to compete using different strategies.

That said, I have no beef with those who favor traditional scoring. Different strokes folks.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Matthias » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:18 pm

moochman wrote:
u_fig_eater wrote:To me, awarding PPR seems artificial. You get the same amount of points whether the receiver made a 40-yard catch or a -2 yard catch. Why should a receiver get PPR when a running back doesn't get points per carry? And a QB doesn't get points per completion. It just seems like a "free stat" that doesn't vibe with me.

Catching a pass requires more skill than taking a handoff. I am a PPR supporter. I feel it adds more realism to the game, in addition to adding different options for building a successful team. In the real game, players who catch dump-off passes and possesion receivers are very valuable to a team as the studs who score the bulk of the TDs. I also like the way it changes a draft. No longer is the first round a RB suasage fest, after the first 4-6 RBs there are WRs who scores as well as RBs left. Gives it a different look and makes it possible to compete using different strategies.

That said, I have no beef with those who favor traditional scoring. Different strokes folks.

I don't understand this justification.

In the threads where the guy is doing consensus picks for the first round, assuming non-PPR, Andre Johnson was picked #7.

We reward possession receivers by giving RBs and WRs 0.25 pts (so worth 2.5 yards) for every first down they make.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:23 pm

Matthias wrote:
moochman wrote:

In the threads where the guy is doing consensus picks for the first round, assuming non-PPR, Andre Johnson was picked #7.

We reward possession receivers by giving RBs and WRs 0.25 pts (so worth 2.5 yards) for every first down they make.

Pretty slanted toward RBs, no? Third and one and my RB gets the first down. And an 8 yard pass on second and 10 is pretty valuable to a team, scarcely would mention in that set up. Like I said, different strokes.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Matthias » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:49 pm

moochman wrote:
Matthias wrote:
moochman wrote:Catching a pass requires more skill than taking a handoff. I am a PPR supporter. I feel it adds more realism to the game, in addition to adding different options for building a successful team. In the real game, players who catch dump-off passes and possesion receivers are very valuable to a team as the studs who score the bulk of the TDs. I also like the way it changes a draft. No longer is the first round a RB suasage fest, after the first 4-6 RBs there are WRs who scores as well as RBs left. Gives it a different look and makes it possible to compete using different strategies.

Pretty slanted toward RBs, no? Third and one and my RB gets the first down. And an 8 yard pass on second and 10 is pretty valuable to a team, scarcely would mention in that set up. Like I said, different strokes.

Well, a) the 3rd down back is normally not the same as the 1st down back; and b) we're rewarding the event, not trying to equalize some sort of value. Running backs are worth more than WRs. But a WR who catches 7 passes for 40 yards and 5 of those are for first downs has brought more value to his team than a receiver who caught 7 passes for 40 yards and none of them were for first downs. At the end of the day, it doesn't shift the scoring that much. But it at least recognizes the contribution.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk