LT looked good - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

LT looked good

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: LT looked good

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:20 pm

Greene is clearly a better player than LT at this point in time. The playing time SHOULD reflect the difference in talent, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. In any case, Greene is the guy you want on your fantasy roster. LT has lost at least a step and his running style took advantage of his speed for the most part. This guy is now a bit player from a talent perspective.

I'm somewhat wary of the Jets offense in general. I think Sanchez has a ways to go and that the team in general could struggle to score points. The defense is probably going to carry the team, the standout player on the offensive side of the ball on that team could easily be the kicker.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:26 pm

Greene is clearly a better player than LT at this point in time. The playing time SHOULD reflect the difference in talent, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. In any case, Greene is the guy you want on your fantasy roster. LT has lost at least a step and his running style took advantage of his speed for the most part. This guy is now a bit player from a talent perspective.

I'm somewhat wary of the Jets offense in general. I think Sanchez has a ways to go and that the team in general could struggle to score points. The defense is probably going to carry the team, the standout player on the offensive side of the ball on that team could easily be the kicker.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Greene is clearly a better player than LT at this point in time. The playing time SHOULD reflect the difference in talent, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. In any case, Greene is the guy you want on your fantasy roster. LT has lost at least a step and his running style took advantage of his speed for the most part. This guy is now a bit player from a talent perspective.

For that reason, wouldn't it be natural for them to fall back on what worked last year? A power run game? A power run game that does not fit the fading skills of LT, no matter how good he looked in exhibition.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dgan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:20 pm

I love Greene. I want him really bad because I think there is a really good chance he has a great year. That's the truth, so I don't want to give the impression I'm dogging him.

My issue is not his talent or his upside or his opportunity. My only issue is the draft position (which started this whole thing). In the early 2nd, you have a lot of rock solid names you can pick, especially at WR. The bust rate for RBs is high enough without adding any additional question marks.

Had you asked me 3 months ago, I would have put Greene up with Mathews. The problem is Mathews situation has remained very clear. Greene's prominence from the COACH'S view has never really been confirmed. We've gone round and round with the same scenario with Jamaal Charles in another thread. One thing I've learned over the years is that a player's ability often translates very little into the coach actually calling his name. (See DFoster/DWill history)

So, early in the second round is not where I want to "assume" something is going to happen the way I think it will. You can live with a top 10 (hopefully top 5) WR pick there, which is a much more reliable selection, historically. You can win with that. You cannot win if Shonn Greene ends up being the 25th ranked fantasy RB in the league. And while I don't think that will happen, I can easily see a scenario that it will.

If you are that confident he will get the touches we're talking about, I'm not going to mock you. I'm just saying I don't have enough confidence to take him over a top flight WR. I prefer to take my upside, unproven RBs in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds. It's just a much cheaper selection.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Purple1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:13 am

I didn't really see the game but one thing I've learned from my many years of FF is to never count out a guy with a history like LT.

He was one of THE Top backs for a good long run while the Shawn Alexanders, Priest Holmes and Larry Johnsons were busy falling off the FF planet LT has still been producing.

He's 31 with a lot of miles on him and you can tell he's on the downside of his carreer but......
I can't think of a better situation for him at this point than the one he's in.
Good run-blocking O-line CHECK
Run heavy offensive scheme CHECK
Young inexperienced cocky yet insecure D-bag of a QB(Bitching about paying an extra 59 cents for ranch to some poor shlub stuck working at pizza hut when you make more in one year than most people make in thier whole lives= D-bag who I will always route against! Thank you Hard Knocks!)
(Sorry rant)

If your in a TD heavy league taking a flier on him as your 3rd-4th RB ( not really sure of his ADP) could really help you out.

I really wouldn't be suprised to see him have 1 more really solid season. I remember getting my ass kick buy a few washed up old RB's named Curtis Martin and Marcus Allen.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby justinj312 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:44 am

To be blunt, IMO LT has lost at least a step and is brittle. I don't see him being worth much unless you enjoy having an old backup RB who will be probably be dealing with continual nagging injuries while routinely listed as questionable. No thanks, I don't need the headache.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mattb47 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:32 am

justinj312 wrote:To be blunt, IMO LT has lost at least a step and is brittle. I don't see him being worth much unless you enjoy having an old backup RB who will be probably be dealing with continual nagging injuries while routinely listed as questionable. No thanks, I don't need the headache.

Well of course he has lost a step...but that doesn't really preclude him from being a factor in that offense. A great offensive line can make a guy look years younger and he's still an excellent receiving back which gives him a sizable edge in that department over Greene. We know LT will have the 3rd down work pretty much locked down, and I do think he'll be a factor down in the redzone too as most coaches like going with the more proven commodity when it matters the most near the endzone...and LT has shown over his career that first and foremost, the guy can flat out score TDs. He even scored a good deal of TDs last year with an absolutely HORRID offensive line and having been on the decline.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk