just joined the forum and i have a question... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

just joined the forum and i have a question...

Moderator: Football Moderators

just joined the forum and i have a question...

Postby radiohead625 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:23 pm

So this is my second year of serious fantasy football. I played two leagues last year and finished 3rd and 4th. My question is how do you start to formulate a bulletproof draft strategy? I wanna get this stuff down and it just seems like i have so many questions about my mock drafts. I wanna start feeling good about them. I wanna be the guy in my league that drafts chris johnson, ray rice, brandon marshall, matt schaub and so many other great picks like one guy did last year. He ran away with the league and basically knew he would from the start.. can you offer some good advice?
radiohead625
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: just joined the forum and i have a question...

Postby DonElway » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:40 pm

mock draft a lot. THis will give you an idea of what to expect when the 1 dumbass per draft makes a bad move allowing you to capitalize.

Depending on how hard core you are, make an excel spread sheet that can graph the drop off's per position. this will help you to know when you are out of the running for the major scorers in 1 position and to move on to somewhere else. for example. this year there is a giant drop off after the top 4 RB's are gone. so if you have the 6th or 7th pick, it's time to move on to WR. Andre johnson is pulling in about 220 points at WR while if you take RB you will still get about 200 points, but that is the next platue of RBs. there are still about 5 RB's that can be picked from that will get you 200 in the second round. The drop off in WR drops badly after A.Johnson/Moss/D.jackson are gone. Don't miss out.

Also. Keep a close eye on the 2 teams above and below you. This will help you know when to pull the trigger on QB.

If it's round 14 or 15 and you don't know what to do with it. look for an injury prone starters backup. you don't need to worry about having a second D. Roll the dice on Brian westbrook or LT

These are just a few things to get you started. I'm not the best, but I'm not the worst either.
DonElway
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby gridiron-guru » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:59 pm

radiohead625 wrote:So this is my second year of serious fantasy football. I played two leagues last year and finished 3rd and 4th. My question is how do you start to formulate a bulletproof draft strategy? I wanna get this stuff down and it just seems like i have so many questions about my mock drafts. I wanna start feeling good about them. I wanna be the guy in my league that drafts chris johnson, ray rice, brandon marshall, matt schaub and so many other great picks like one guy did last year. He ran away with the league and basically knew he would from the start.. can you offer some good advice?

Often times when you see a guy run away with a draft and then a season -- the rest of the people in the league are too blame. It's less about that one person knowing a ton of players -- and more about other players in your league not making good selections high in the draft. Just my two cents -- having experienced leagues nad maturity among fantasy football gamers...when a league has a few years under its belt, it is less likely to have someone walk away with the title uncontested.
gridiron-guru
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby radiohead625 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:24 am

thanks so much guys. I really appreciate the help! Last question... value based drafting is the best way too go?
radiohead625
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby justinj312 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:10 am

IMO, Don't be afraid to take players u really like a round or two early. Do your research, be confident, and be ahead of the game. A lot of the breakout players good can go quick, so IMO it's better to be proactive rather than pushing your luck and waiting until their regular ADP.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:55 am

-draft def and kicker w your last 2 picks
-draft a TE in about round 10...only draft 1, no need for a backup
-wait on QBs(imo) and get 2 in rounds 7-10. 1 of them should be good
-load up on as many RBs as possible. i woudl say only get 1 backup WR...as they usually dont flucuate as much as RBs
-so your bench should have 1 backup QB, 1 bench WR and the rest RBS

these are my standard rules for my drafts. now finding the breakout guys i have no idea
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk