Keeper League and Rules?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper League and Rules??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper League and Rules??

Postby tjhart27 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:11 am

Our league is having an issue with the following.

Rule: You can keep 2 keepers from previous year. The keeper results in losing your draft pick two rounds prior to previous years draft round. If the player was a free agent pickup and not drafted in previous year you lose your 9th round pick.

Pros and Cons????

Some of the bottom half players want it to be you loose your last round pick.
tjhart27
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper League and Rules??

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:18 am

put it to a league vote
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League and Rules??

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:15 pm

We do something like this in baseball - it works quite well IMO and I think its a good keeper format for a league where you want to use keepers but don't want it to be the prime factor in determining the best teams year to year.

I assume that you will be letting players be kept for multiple years, forfeiting a pick 2 rounds earlier than the year before (whether drafted or kept), right? So if you drafted Mendenhall last year for a 10th rounder, you could keep him for an 8th rounder this year, 6th rounder next year, and so on. Again, I like that setup (we use this in my baseball league), but I think I'd make teams forfeit draft picks 3 rounds earlier instead of 2 in order to prevent someone from hitting the jackpot with a last round pick and keeping him for 7-8 years.

When you say that some want it to be that you lose your last round pick, are you referring to free agent pickups (keeping them with a last round pick instead of a 9th round pick)? You should definitely go with the 9th round idea - it rewards teams who proactively DRAFT sleepers instead of those who stumble onto them mid-season. Someone who drafted Miles Austin in Round 17 last year should be rewarded more than someone who picked him up in Week 3. In fact, you could argue that free agents should not be keeper-eligible at all (though I wouldn't go that far).

Go for it - its a good format.
Bloody Sox
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner