Steven Jackson's Value - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steven Jackson's Value

Moderator: Football Moderators

Steven Jackson's Value

Postby Stelly » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:25 am

SJax obviously has lots of concerns coming into this season - injury history, off-season back surgery, bad team, rookie QB. He also has a lot of upside. On a horrible offense last season, he still put up 1,700 total yards (but only 4 TDs). He was the 10th ranked RB in my league. When he plays, he's a stud. The "when" part is the problem.

His current ADP seems to be in the back end of the first round for a 10-team league. His name has popped up in several threads where people mention that that won't draft him, or don't think he's worth a first round pick.

My question is this...if SJax falls in your draft, where do you think his value lies this year?
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Steven Jackson's Value

Postby Goody » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:40 am

For me, I have the 9th pick in my 12 team non-ppr and I won't touch him unless he falls to me in the 2nd round (2.04).
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Reg » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:00 pm

I think if he slips past 12 or so, and you don't REALLY want one of the WRs left, I would take him
Reg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Purple1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:26 pm

For me Jackson has always been a guy I avoid esspecially since the down turn of the rams a few years ago.

He's a good back but in the position you have to take him its just not worth it imo. I prefer drafting a good WR or QB from a good offense in the end of the first early second round over a good RB on a really bad team. The Rams are really bad and not getting better anytime soon. I wouldn't want to have to be conserned with hoping the rams score every sunday, I have a feeling it could be a long stressfull FF season if thats the case.

I know I wouldn't even consider drafting him till late 3rd, 4th round in my leagues(my leagues scoring are not as yardage heavy as most). Standard scoring leagues I guess I could see why it would be tempting to draft him in the 1st/second but I would probably still go with a RB on a better team or WR, QB in that spot.

In fact I've found over the years that avoiding most of the 2nd-3rd teir RBs all together tends to work out better for me.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby murphysxm » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:10 pm

I personally think the bad team arguement is flawed. Barry Sanders played for the Lions, but did alright. Talent overcomes bad situations. It's how fragile he is that has me scared. I don't see me taking him unless I have about pick 18 or so.

help me if you can
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=469623
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:23 pm

murphysxm wrote:I personally think the bad team arguement is flawed. Barry Sanders played for the Lions, but did alright. Talent overcomes bad situations. It's how fragile he is that has me scared. I don't see me taking him unless I have about pick 18 or so.

I think Barry Sanders is the exception, not the rule. No one is claiming that SJAX is Barry Sanders, so I think that his situation is actually a huge factor, especially given his fragility.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby murphysxm » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:29 pm

The Rams have been horrible his whole career and he has been drafted in the first round for half a decade. What has changed this year? 1400 yards in 2009, 1000 in 2008, 1000 in 2007, 1500 in 2006. Say what you want, but he gets his. Throw in the 40 catches that are guaranteed..... I don't want him as my 1st rounder, but that is were his value is
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby markulous » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:40 pm

Their O-line is underrated. If the line can stay healthy and play to their ability, he should have a great season. And despite being a rookie and won't throw more than 15 TDs, Bradford is the best QB they've had in a while. So he should at least be able to help S-Jax out a little more than what he had to work with the past couple of years. In a PPR league, I'm not sure I could pass on him at 7 or lower unless a top pick fell.
markulous
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Guru13 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:52 pm

markulous wrote:Their O-line is underrated. If the line can stay healthy and play to their ability, he should have a great season. And despite being a rookie and won't throw more than 15 TDs, Bradford is the best QB they've had in a while. So he should at least be able to help S-Jax out a little more than what he had to work with the past couple of years. In a PPR league, I'm not sure I could pass on him at 7 or lower unless a top pick fell.

3 or 4 months ago I would've agreed with you - but outside of Brown and Saffold looked good against Allen last week, the Rams O-Line has been embarrassing thus far. Jason Smith, the number 2 overall pick from a year ago looks like he would have trouble blocking me.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:38 pm

I think S Jax's is valued pretty well, middle of first in PPR leagues and late to mid round in non PPR leagues. His risk, both injury and shakey QB/O-line/team in general keep him from breaking top 5 and elite potential keep him in the 6-16 range. Sadly, this places him in the murky pseudo-studs that you can't help but feel won't live up to value. You gotta take the chance, but that uneasy feeling lingers. Seems this year that uncertainty is starting earlier in the draft. You've the top 5 RBs; ADP, CJ4.24, MJD, Rice, Turner. And two WRs; AJ and Moss. After that, its the S Jaxes of the world. Round 2 should be sponsored by Rolaids this year.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk