The Argument Against RB in 1st round (or for WR/QB in 1st) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Argument Against RB in 1st round (or for WR/QB in 1st)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The Argument Against RB in 1st round (or for WR/QB in 1st)

Postby iloveny18 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:34 pm

Wow, there are some pretty good arguments here. Let me just say that I was dead set on drafting WR/WR with my top 2 picks at #6 (AJ and the best player since the top 12RB will be taken in the 2nd). I was just as afraid as you all that i'd end up with one of the 1st round bust RB's, but after reading the arguments and feedback from here, I might just grab one of those top 6 RB's and look for WR depth in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round even though the success rate on 1st round rb's still concerns me.

And BTW- I know better than to go QB in the first, i've learned my lesson with that already.
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mr2xxx » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:06 am

What team would you rather have? Does anyone feel that one team is clearly superior to the other?
Both are 12 team PPR
Team 1: QB: Kolb, E. Manning RB: MJD, A. Foster, R. Bush, J. Stewart WR: B. Marsh, M. Austin, Nicks, D. Aromash, Massaqoi TE: Winslow
Team 2: QB: Shuab, Moore RB: Bush, Hightower, Portis, Hardesty, L. Washington WR: A. Johnson, Jennings, Welker,Ward, M. Williams (TB) TE: Gates

Team 1 ( 4 spot) Only max 4 RB's on roster, this was my real draft.
Team 2 ( 5 Spot) I didn't start picking RB's till Rounds 6 in this mock draft.

I thought waiting so late for a RB's was a horrible strategy but now I think both its a viable strategy from this small sample. I agree with the fact that if we go to 18 games, waiting for RB's is a greats strategy but we are not their yet. The problem with RB's in my league is you can only have 4 so less chances hit on a mid-to-late round RB, but better chance of getting a quality waiver wire pick up. I think The best strategy more dependent on your position than anything else. In my draft should I have passesd on MJD for AJ, I don't think so. I feel that If you should get 2 WR's and a RB with your first 3 picks any way you want but then be flexible afterwards and draft BPA mostly because players always fall that you didn't think would.
mr2xxx
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby mattb47 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:20 am

I like team 1 MUCH more in this scenario than team 2...and it's not even close for me.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JoshKnows46 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:59 am

team 1 is extremly better!!!
I only live by 3 rules: Eat Twat, Smoke Pot, and Smile Alot
JoshKnows46
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy Expert

Postby Azrael » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:01 am

mattb47 wrote:I like team 1 MUCH more in this scenario than team 2...and it's not even close for me.

I agree.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:53 pm

I like skipping RBs early, but team 1 is LIGHT YEARS better than 2. Not taking a RB in round 1 is one thing, but I would never wait all the way until round 6 before taking my first. Beyond that, without seeing what rounds the players went, it just looks like team 2 was an inferior overall draft. I guess Michael Bush was your 6th round pick in draft 2? He's waaaaaaay overrated by Yahoo and should absolutely not be going that high.

If you didn't start taking RBs until round 4 which is the latest I'd wait, according to Yahoo ADPs you could very well end up with 4) Stewart, 5) A. Foster, 6) Best, 8) Felix, 9) Spiller, 10) Thomas Jones, 11) Fred Jackson

I'd be more than happy to go to battle with those guys in a 10 team league even if I had to fill 3 spots... especially if my first three picks were something like AJ, Peyton, Austin.

Although I like to skip RB at the back end of the first round, I don't advocate waiting any longer than round 4 to take your first.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bostonsoxandy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:02 pm

mr2xxx wrote:What team would you rather have? Does anyone feel that one team is clearly superior to the other?
Both are 12 team PPR
Team 1: QB: Kolb, E. Manning RB: MJD, A. Foster, R. Bush, J. Stewart WR: B. Marsh, M. Austin, Nicks, D. Aromash, Massaqoi TE: Winslow
Team 2: QB: Shuab, Moore RB: Bush, Hightower, Portis, Hardesty, L. Washington WR: A. Johnson, Jennings, Welker,Ward, M. Williams (TB) TE: Gates

I thought waiting so late for a RB's was a horrible strategy but now I think both its a viable strategy from this small sample. I agree with the fact that if we go to 18 games, waiting for RB's is a greats strategy but we are not their yet. The problem with RB's in my league is you can only have 4 so less chances hit on a mid-to-late round RB, but better chance of getting a quality waiver wire pick up. I think The best strategy more dependent on your position than anything else. In my draft should I have passesd on MJD for AJ, I don't think so. I feel that If you should get 2 WR's and a RB with your first 3 picks any way you want but then be flexible afterwards and draft BPA mostly because players always fall that you didn't think would.

What is this??? What did you base this piece of crap on....
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bostonsoxandy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:04 pm

mr2xxx wrote:What team would you rather have? Does anyone feel that one team is clearly superior to the other?
Both are 12 team PPR

Like how do you end up with MJD, Foster, JStew, Marshall, Austin, Nicks....most unrealistic 2 scenarios...and team 2---who was their second round pick?!?!? you telling me Jennings in the early 2nd rd?!??! And they had to take a RB in round 5 and your telling me best available was Reggie Bush??? While in round 5 of the other league (with MJD, Marshall, Austin, Foster first 4), JStew in the 5th??? come on....atleast make a realistic scenario..
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bungle613 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:36 pm

bostonsoxandy wrote:
Both are 12 team PPR

Like how do you end up with MJD, Foster, JStew, Marshall, Austin, Nicks....most unrealistic 2 scenarios...and team 2---who was their second round pick?!?!? you telling me Jennings in the early 2nd rd?!??! And they had to take a RB in round 5 and your telling me best available was Reggie Bush??? While in round 5 of the other league (with MJD, Marshall, Austin, Foster first 4), JStew in the 5th??? come on....atleast make a realistic scenario..

Instead of jumping on him why don't you read his post. He draftetd the 2nd team in the 5th slot in a 12 team PPR.

1.05 - AJ
2.08 - Jennings
3.05 - Welker
4.08 - Gates or Schaub
5.05 - opposite of above.

All absolutely reasonable and he said he didn't take a back until the 6th.

Team 1 I will guess he drafted earlier in the month and got lucky as well. Also a 12 team PPR

1.04 - MJD
2.09 - Austin
3.04 - Marshall (lucky, shouldn't have been there)
4.09 - Stewart
5.04 - Nicks

Foster he probably got while there was still big question marks, as for Stewart... in a quality PPR league I have seen him go as late as 7-9.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Oh, ha. I missed that they were both PPR. Team 2 makes a lot more sense now even though I still prefer team 1 slightly. Plenty of reasons for optimism with 4 100+ catch candidates at WR and TE (Andre, Jennings, Welker, Gates) that's huge in PPR. Reggie Bush is no slouch in PPR either, ditto Hightower who had a lofty 63 receptions last year.

Team 1 is a little better because he got more guys who are "true" studs, not just underrated guys in PPR. Much more chance for Foster, JStew to be huge outliers at the RB position than Hightower and Portis, and he still got a couple of 100 catch guys in Marshall and Austin. Obviously Winslow <<<< than Gates esp. in PPR.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk