2010 Heisman Offensive Player Trophy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010 Heisman Offensive Player Trophy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010 Heisman Offensive Player Trophy

Postby knapplc » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:16 am

Robinson doesn't have to contend with his RBs cutting into his ground yardage like Martinez. Our top two RBs have nearly 300 yards more rushing than Michigan's top two through five games. We simply have more weapons to spread the ball to, and (so far) we've had no reason to really throw the ball, so Martinez' numbers are down compared to Robinson's there.

Robinson is a STUD ball player and I'd love to have him on my team, but I wouldn't trade him for Martinez. Both are damned good.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:37 pm

My point wasn't that Ohio St. and the rest have played tougher schedules, it's that I don't see how he is so vastly better than the pack based on the level of competition he's faced. If he continues over the next couple weeks like he has been, then yes absolutely, but right now he's just throwing up huge numbers on suspect defenses. I can make the same point Knapp made with Martinez with DT, if Darron Thomas didn't have LaMike to feed the ball to, I have to think his rushing stats would be similar to Denard's.

All that said, yes Denard is absolutely at the top of the list. If we had to hand out the award today, Robinson would get the Heisman.

I still think it's silly that DT isn't even being mentioned though. Anyone else? Bueller?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:09 pm

That's a nice blog. Funny thing is, it actually helps prove my point. Look at his chart of the 1000/1000 club and notice the #3 guy, Nebraska QB Jammal Lord. While I love me some Jammal, he was IN NO WAY better than Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill, Steve Taylor, Eric Crouch or Scott Frost. The reason Lord is up there is that he had no other weapons on offense and had to carry the load entirely on his own. That's what Robinson is doing right now, and while he's amazingly capable, teams with several offensive weapons tend to use those weapons, and individual stats suffer.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:29 pm

knapplc wrote:

That's a nice blog. Funny thing is, it actually helps prove my point. Look at his chart of the 1000/1000 club and notice the #3 guy, Nebraska QB Jammal Lord. While I love me some Jammal, he was IN NO WAY better than Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill, Steve Taylor, Eric Crouch or Scott Frost. The reason Lord is up there is that he had no other weapons on offense and had to carry the load entirely on his own. That's what Robinson is doing right now, and while he's amazingly capable, teams with several offensive weapons tend to use those weapons, and individual stats suffer.

So a guy who has to carry the load on his own has the entire defense focused on stopping him but can't. If anything it speaks even more to how great the individual player is.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:07 pm

I don't think anyone is doubting he is a great individual player. And actually I think there are two different discussions going on at the same time.

1st, Knapp is pointing out that his numbers are slightly inflated due to him being the entire offense, or rather that other players would/could be posting similar numbers if they didn't have impact players at the RB position, not a knock, just the truth.

2nd, my point is that I don't see him being head and shoulders better than the rest of the pack, at least not right now, due to the level of competition he's faced. Again, I'm not trying to say anyone else has faced stiffer competition, just that none of the dudes at the top of the list have been tested, save LaMike (and DT even though he's not even on the damn list). If Denard goes off tomorrow and puts up some big numbers then I'm all in, but right now I just don't see him being "so much" better than the rest of the pack.
Metroid

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:22 pm

The guy is on pace to rewrite the history books.....he hasn't played powder puff competition....the two games that he did were his worst two performances. I just don't know how he's not head and shoulders above everyone else at this point. I've been quoted on here as saying I don't think he'll win it, but I think it will be because Michigan will fade just enough down the stretch to push votes in other directions, not because I think he'll disappear in the second half.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby knapplc » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:39 pm

He very well may win it, and nothing I've seen so far makes me think he's less deserving. I'm just tossing out caveats. On top of that, it's still really early. Both Robinson and Nebraska's Martinez have yet to face top in-conference competition. Let's get a few games into that and see where everyone stands.

If you're going to ask me who I would put forth in competition with Robinson right now.... I don't really have an answer. It's still too early. And I guess by saying that I probably figure he's the frontrunner. But again, it's way early.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:39 pm

You took the words right out of my mouth knapp.
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:09 am

Agreed Knapp (and Met). This is why it's so difficult to have this conversation at this point in the season. We have no idea yet what Denard will do against MSU today and good teams later on, just like we can't predict what Martinez, Pryor, etc will do when they get into the tough parts of their schedule.

THat said, we do know that Kellen Moore will continue to beat cupcake teams. :-b

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:15 am

It's not difficult to have this conversation at all. Robinson is clearly in front. It just gets easier to have the conversation as the year plays out.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to College Football