2010 Heisman Offensive Player Trophy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010 Heisman Offensive Player Trophy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010 Heisman Offensive Player Trophy

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:40 pm

Numbers, numbers numbers....you know as well as anyone that the Heisman is not just about numbers. Wins, quality of opponent, and where your team finishes all come into play. If you want me to pick my early Heisman short list based on what the Heisman award should be, then yeah, it would probably look a little different. But yes, I am absolutely serious. At least Martinez and DT should be mentioned. Obviously there is some homerism here with DT, but this early in the season he deserves to be mentioned. He has his team 5-0, has great numbers, has a quality win over a top 10 team, and his team a #3 ranking.

Dan Persa absolutely should be mentioned, his numbers are sick. Problem is, Northwestern hasn't played anyone with any sort of semblance of defense, same thing with Colin Kapernick. Still you're right about those two, they deserve to be mentioned in the early going.

Justin Blackmon = awesome. Problem is, he's a wide out, need I say more? Wideouts don't win Heismans.

Jordan Todman? Sure he's a workhorse, but his team has 3 losses. If you're going to win the award with multiple losses on your resume you'd better have mind blowing numbers...REALLY mind blowing numbers.

Andrew Luck, yup he's on my top 10 list, fantastic numbers and clearly the toughest schedule of the Heisman hopefuls. Unfortunately he was upstaged by DT, the guy you're scoffing at, last week.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:05 pm

I think he's been mentioned a couple times, but why hasn't Cam Newton gotten more discussion?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:11 pm

I haven't seen DT mentioned anywhere but here by me. :-b

I did mention Cam a page back, I'd put him ahead Kellen Moore no doubt.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:55 am

As the only person on this board who actually watched the South Dakota State/Nebraska game, I can tell you with 100% confidence that Nebraska was simply playing possum in that game.

Aside from that, I will agree that Martinez does not deserve Heisman consideration right now. It's too early and he has yet to face marquee talent. We'll see what he does this week against Texas first, then we can have a better idea.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:21 am

Shoelace falls back into the pack. It was less about State's defense than it was him just making a couple bad throws. State was definitely the better team though.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sandrock » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Since Texas is far from a marquee team, I doubt we'll learn anything from T-Magic running for 5 TDs.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:01 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:Shoelace falls back into the pack. It was less about State's defense than it was him just making a couple bad throws. State was definitely the better team though.

Yup, huge hit. Hopefully he leads them to victory against Iowa to help out his campaign ;-D

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:57 am

Here's a list from an impartial third party (meaning, not one of us with a player in the race):

Cory McCartney - CNN/SI wrote:1. Dennard Robinson
2. LaMichael James
3. Cam Newton
4. Terrelle Pryor
5. Kellen Moore
6. Ryan Mallett
7. Taylor Martinez
8. Andrew Luck
9. Colin Kaepernick
10. Patrick Peterson

LINK with comments.

Really can't disagree with this list too much. We're just about halfway through the season at this point, and these guys have all shown they belong in the conversation.

I will say this, though - I disagreed with Sam Bradford winning this thing as a Sophomore, and I disagree with Taylor Martinez or any other underclassman winning it.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:50 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Shoelace falls back into the pack. It was less about State's defense than it was him just making a couple bad throws. State was definitely the better team though.

Yup, huge hit. Hopefully he leads them to victory against Iowa to help out his campaign ;-D

I don't think it was a huge hit per se. What's frustrating is that it was two bad throws that cost him having a huge game. It wasn't State's defensive scheme, so anyone who wants to argue that he failed his first "test" is wrong. He made one bad decision, the last pick. The other two were just bad throws. Otherwise the offense was moving the ball at will again. If there is any criticism I have on his play last Saturday, it's that he didn't tuck the ball on designed pass plays enough because there were open lanes on plays where he forced the ball a bit down the field.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:07 pm

knapplc wrote:Here's a list from an impartial third party (meaning, not one of us with a player in the race):

Cory McCartney - CNN/SI wrote:1. Dennard Robinson
2. LaMichael James
3. Cam Newton
4. Terrelle Pryor
5. Kellen Moore
6. Ryan Mallett
7. Taylor Martinez
8. Andrew Luck
9. Colin Kaepernick
10. Patrick Peterson

LINK with comments.

Really can't disagree with this list too much. We're just about halfway through the season at this point, and these guys have all shown they belong in the conversation.

I will say this, though - I disagreed with Sam Bradford winning this thing as a Sophomore, and I disagree with Taylor Martinez or any other underclassman winning it.

Just out of curiosity, why is this? If a player manages to be the best player in the country as an underclassman, they deserve to win it, just like someone deserves to win it as a senior if they are the most valuable player in the country. IMO, whether or not someone is an underclassman should have no bearing on whether or not they win the Heisman.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football