So what have we learned so far in preseason? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

So what have we learned so far in preseason?

Moderator: Football Moderators

So what have we learned so far in preseason?

Postby radiohead625 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Looking for a summary of what people have noticed fantasy wise so far?
radiohead625
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: So what have we learned so far in preseason?

Postby dgan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:48 pm

radiohead625 wrote:Looking for a summary of what people have noticed fantasy wise so far?

The games mean nothing, good players get hurt for no good reason, and most of what you see has no impact on fantasy at all.

Pretty much like every preseason...
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby daweasle » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:05 am

we've learned that mike shanahan likes to use a RBBC approach, even in preseason.
daweasle
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:11 am

The only thing that has stuck out to me is perhaps I was wrong about DeSean Jackson. He seems like he'll be quite active in that offense, could far surpass the 62 catches he's had the last 2 years.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby footballsimp » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:49 am

First of all I have learned preseason DOES matter. Teams dont practice for months doing things one way in the preseason just to flip their gameplan on its head in week 1.

Second, I still have no clue who will be the starting RB in NE and wont figure it out until week 17.

Third, LT still has some spring in his step which leads me to shy away from Green.

Fourth, Welker is back and hopefully going late in drafts.

Fifth, the Texans are committed to the run and Foster will help them run past that 30th ranked rushing offense into maybe the 29 or 28 spot(seriously, he could be a sweet sleeper).

There's more but I dont want to bore people with my thinking out loud.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:01 am

footballsimp wrote:First of all I have learned preseason DOES matter. Teams dont practice for months doing things one way in the preseason just to flip their gameplan on its head in week 1.

Teams don't gameplan for the pre-season (except game #3). Teams also play very vanilla offence and defense in the pre-season. There are a number of teams that play each other in the pre-season and regular season....guess what they are not going to be running the same plays for that game. Sure there are little things that can be picked out, but for the most part pre-season is worthless
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby footballsimp » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:14 am

They start the same players they are going to start. They dont just start the #4 QB just to start him and then let their #1 go up against the third and fourth string. So you get a general idea of position battles.

These local broadcasters calling some of the games have a MUCH better insight on how things are going with players than I do. So, when a player makes a grab or busts a decent run, the commentators or sideline reporters will tell you if the team is excited about said player and if he is having a good camp. Which I like to hear. They're opinion is much more credible than mine.

I could go on but I think there is a lot to learn about preseason. Coaches learn a lot about their players in these games and I think we can too.

Or, you could just go off your magazine that was printed in May and assume those rankings remain true in September.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:05 am

footballsimp wrote:They start the same players they are going to start. They dont just start the #4 QB just to start him and then let their #1 go up against the third and fourth string. So you get a general idea of position battles.

Not sure when I said all teams start their practice squad players, but OK :-S
I'm pretty sure we know how most #1 look already. What is a #2 or 3 going up another team #2 or 3 going to show you? That they can play against back-ups. I did say there were little things to see, but for the most part it is useless. Teams are not going all out in pre-season and again do not even gameplan for pre-season games. They are running through situations rather than real life football. Starters are playing a very limited amount of time, you can not project stats from 2-3 series throughout the entire game. If pre-season means so much, why did the Lions go from 4-0(in the pre-season) to 0-16(regular season) :-?

footballsimp wrote:These local broadcasters calling some of the games have a MUCH better insight on how things are going with players than I do. So, when a player makes a grab or busts a decent run, the commentators or sideline reporters will tell you if the team is excited about said player and if he is having a good camp. Which I like to hear. They're opinion is much more credible than mine.

Just to let you in on a little secret, but don't tell everybody...most teams say that they are excited about every player. Local broadcaster(media) are going to talk about good things in camp, even then they are not going to say too much about the teams progress.

footballsimp wrote:I could go on but I think there is a lot to learn about preseason. Coaches learn a lot about their players in these games and I think we can too.

Coaches learn much more in practice.

footballsimp wrote:Or, you could just go off your magazine that was printed in May and assume those rankings remain true in September.

You pegged me as magazine guy, I guess I'm busted :-B
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:47 pm

I fall somewhere in between. I'll watch a guy like LT in preseason, see what he "looks like", and maybe bump him up a little if he's performing well. I watched a Jets preseason game last year, saw Leon Washington looked quick, and decided to take him maybe a round earlier based on this (didn't work out of course, but that's the point). If Braylon makes 5 sweet grabs in a row, that's going to raise my opinion of him, make me think maybe he worked on his hands during the offseason. Game #3 is where i watch the most.

But you also shouldn't get excited about a #3 who runs for say , 100 yards against other teams' #2s and 3s. Key is to stay "balanced", somewhere in between....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby footballsimp » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:01 pm

Well Dream. I will keep watching my preseason football you go ahead and enjoy Ice skating until the season starts.

I have learned plenty this preseason.

I have already mentioned some and here is one more...you can file this under bold and asinine predictions or whatever:

Mike Williams SEA is a deep sleeper pick that I like. I thought the guy was dead. But in watching preseason. I found out he is not only alive but playing for Pete Carroll again and he looked great.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk