So what have we learned so far in preseason? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

So what have we learned so far in preseason?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: So what have we learned so far in preseason?

Postby biju » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:41 pm

footballsimp wrote:Fourth, Welker is back and hopefully going late in drafts.

I just had my first redraft of the year and I took him in the late 3rd round. When I did there were at least 3 guys who moaned audibly and mentioned they thought for sure he'd drop to the fourth round. Take it with a grain of salt, but people are no longer afraid of taking Welker before the 6th round.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby footballsimp » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:59 pm

thanks for the heads up.

thats something else I learned. I am not the only one who pays attention to preseason football
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bostonsoxandy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:12 pm

What I've learned: Act like Welker never got injured...just do it. You can't doubt this kid. You just can't. He is fully recovered and expect last year's stats this year. Look a it this way: if you watched video of him in practice and in the preseason games and didn't know he got injured AND didn't notice his brace you would've thought nothing was different with him. Hasn't even lost a fraction of a step.
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bagobonez » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:57 pm

I've learned that Terrell Owens is in for a big year. Seems like he and Carson Palmer have already established a really strong connection, and in the limited action they've seen together, Palmer has thrown his way much more often thatn Ocho Cinco, and much more often than any other player. When Owens caught that 45 yard pass against the Eagles down the sideline, you could tell he's still got it. Even after Joselio Hanson was running side by side with him, Owens gained separation. Don't count this guy out because of his age, I fully expect him to lead Cincinnati in receptions, yards and TD's this year. That's why I'm shying away from Ocho Cinco where he's being drafted and picking up T.O. in most mocks.

Another thing I've learned is that Ryan Mathews is a beast. The Cowboys had the 4th ranked run defense last year and all but 2 starters have returned (Ken Hamlin and Marcus Spears, who are both overrated anyway) and Mathews just couldn't be stopped. I don't recall him having any runs short of 4-5 yards and he had plenty of 7, 8 and 9 yard runs. He broke plenty of arm tackles while he was in there and looks explosive to the hole as well.

I agree on Desean Jackson as well. I don't think he'll repeat last year's numbers but I think he'll see an increase in receptions, but I think his YPC and TD's will fall some. Kolb's more of an accurate, intermediate type QB whereas McNabb was bomb-or-bust.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Azrael » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:19 pm

bostonsoxandy wrote:What I've learned: Act like Welker never got injured...just do it. You can't doubt this kid. You just can't. He is fully recovered and expect last year's stats this year. Look a it this way: if you watched video of him in practice and in the preseason games and didn't know he got injured AND didn't notice his brace you would've thought nothing was different with him. Hasn't even lost a fraction of a step.

I agree. Surgery and sports medicine are so far ahead of where they were when guys like Edge and Jamal tore ACLs, it's ridiculous how fast guys come back. Welker essentially caught 122 passes in 13 complete games. WHAT! He led the league in catches by a landslide and missed virtually 1/4 of the season. Gimme just 6TDs out of the guy and he's a great WR2.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby justinj312 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:51 am

I've learned that the Rodgers/Finley connection is gonna be lethal, especially in the RZ.

I've learned that the Eagles will once again struggle in the RZ, draft Akers with confidence.

I've learned you can call DirecTV and get a discount on the Sunday Ticket & the To-Go Package.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby LMack » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Leinart looks lost. Hopefully Fitz can hold his hand and make a serviceable QB out of him.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:13 pm

Azrael wrote:
bostonsoxandy wrote:What I've learned: Act like Welker never got injured...just do it. You can't doubt this kid. You just can't. He is fully recovered and expect last year's stats this year. Look a it this way: if you watched video of him in practice and in the preseason games and didn't know he got injured AND didn't notice his brace you would've thought nothing was different with him. Hasn't even lost a fraction of a step.

I agree. Surgery and sports medicine are so far ahead of where they were when guys like Edge and Jamal tore ACLs, it's ridiculous how fast guys come back. Welker essentially caught 122 passes in 13 complete games. WHAT! He led the league in catches by a landslide and missed virtually 1/4 of the season. Gimme just 6TDs out of the guy and he's a great WR2.

I heard/read somewhere that Welker had his injury later and looks great, but Daniels had the same injury something like 5 weeks before and is nowhere near ready.

I'm watching Houston- lots of moving parts and question marks. With Tate done for the year, and Foster doing well, the RB spot got less murky. The WR they targeted in the draft, Trindon Holliday, has struggled as a returner, is injured, and might be put on IR. The PR spot would stay with Jacoby Jones, while Andre Davis gets the KR role. However, Slaton could challenge both for the spots. If he does well, that frees Jones to become the WR2- which might be crucial, with both Daniels and Kevin Walter returning (hopefully) from injury.
Alternately, Kubiak could return to his Shanahan-like habits and throw Slaton back into the offense if Foster fumbles or struggles- or he wears the wrong kind of socks. That would relegate Jones to special teams.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:57 pm

So far I've learned the tradition of people getting chippy in the preseason continues :-D
I've learned I like baseball a lot less than just a few weeks ago.
D Jax looks like he could have a breakout season, so too then Kolb.
Welker is a go.
Megatron should have no less than 10 TDs this season.
Jahvid Best looks better than I could have hoped. If uninjured should provide very good value.
Gresham could be a fantasy viable TE this season, looks very fluid.
TO looks poised for a big season, though I think they might be targeting him more now to get him into the flow, than later.
I have learned not to be too excited by anything I see in exhibition season. However, I learned that draft a Cardinal player is a very risky propositon. Vikings fans can't be too happy to see just how poorly a team can play when their HOF QB actually does retire.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:06 pm

Is it me or are teams actually blitzing in preseason?

I learned that Lions fans still get excited about the Lions in preseason. :-b

I learned Welker is a gamer! I love this guys heart!

I learned the Steelers are really gonna miss Ben for the first 4 games!

I learned Larry Fitzgerald can catch balls hanging upside down(sports science), which is a good thing seeing Leinart and Anderson are going to be his QB.

I learned that Terrell Owens at 36 years old still looks better then most 25 year olds.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk