Overated/Underated Player Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Overated/Underated Player Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Overated/Underated Player Thread

Postby delfam » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:40 pm

I want to create a thread where people can list who they think is underrated or overrated to help people get the best value for their draft picks. Here's a couple of mine

TE's in General: There are so many good ones there is no reason to waste a pick in the 3rd or 4th round when you can get a solid RB/WR.
Anthony Fasano: Has good chemistry with Henne and with a young quarterback should get a lot of targets.
Wes Welker: For someone going in the 6th round he is a steal if wealthy, especially in PPR leagues.
Ryan Mathews: To big of a risk to draft a rookie in the 1st/2nd round, especially if Neal doesn't come back.
delfam
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Overated/Underated Player Thread

Postby justinj312 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 am

As an Eagles fan, I think McCoy is getting overdrafted. ADP of 3.11 is too high IMO. I don't think he's a plug and play RB2 every week.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Over-

RB-Felix Jones- Ill take Barber a couple of rounds later.
RB-Shonn Greene- Just too high of an ADP for me.
RB-Ryan Mathews-See Shonn Greene

WR-Calvin Johnson-Seeing him drafted before Wayne and Marshall, Austin and Roddy White. Hes still a Lion.
WR-Ocho Cinco-Ill take Owens later, you can have chad, at his ADP.
WR-Hakeem Nicks-Giants get back to running the ball this year, Smith will get his and Nicks still has Manningham sitting there.

Sidney Rice was going way too high before the operation came out for someone who people knew had hip problems.

Under-
Ahmad Bradshaw-He will be the main man in GMan land this year. Jacobs is just too fragile and Bradshaw is just better.

Joseph Addai-Peyton loves him why shouldnt I? PPR leagues he gold.

Marion Barber-Like I said Ill take Barber at his ADP all day over Felix Jones.

Micheal Bush-Raiders are gonna surprise people this year. The D is improved giving the Raiders a chance to pound the ball. Is McFadden gonna pound? NO!

WRs-

Jeremy Maclin-Like him at his ADP more then Djax. All Philly does is pass pass and pass some more. Thank you Andy Reid!

Wes Welker-His ADP seems to be rising but the dude just plays with such attitude. Its no wonder he healed so quick, look out Chuck Norris Welker is a bad man. I still like his adp in ppr leagues. Give me 100 catches in the fifth round all day!

Johnny Knox-Aroshamadwho? Hester, really thats his competition. Knox will shine under Martz. Bears secondary still sucks, couple that with Mad Mike in town and let the passes fly!

TEs- Alot are overvalued, dont draft one early there are too many late values this year.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Purple1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:26 pm

Overated-

Rashard Mendenhall- Hes just not that good face it. He's basically a crappy Cedric Benson which isn't saying much.

Vincent Jackson- Why be concerned with this D-bag, he's never even cracked the top 10 WR's. Let somebody else waste a late round flyer on him and draft somebody who could help your team the whole season.

Late round TE's- Last year was an anomally with all the late round TE's producing big #'s there will be no Vernon Davis, Brent Celeck or Owen Daniels this year.

Underated-

A lot of this is me takling from my gut. I hope it dosen't turn out I'm really talking out of my ass.

C.J.Spiller- Reminds me a lot of ADP's rookie year, he will be a stud this year.

Josh Cribbs- Hopefully this year but if not next year he breaks out for sure.

Eddie Royal- What do you do with a shifty little guy with good hands who runs good routes, is quick out of his cuts and would be perfect in the "Welker" role in you offense? You bury him on the depth chart behind Jabar Gafney, Brandon Lloyd, a hurt rookie, any other WR off the scrap heap and have him return kicks and punts occasionally. McDouchbag please trade him to the Vikings!!!
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bostonsoxandy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:54 am

Purple1 wrote:Overated-

Rashard Mendenhall- Hes just not that good face it. He's basically a crappy Cedric Benson which isn't saying much.

Vincent Jackson- Why be concerned with this D-bag, he's never even cracked the top 10 WR's. Let somebody else waste a late round flyer on him and draft somebody who could help your team the whole season.

Late round TE's- Last year was an anomally with all the late round TE's producing big #'s there will be no Vernon Davis, Brent Celeck or Owen Daniels this year.

Underated-

A lot of this is me takling from my gut. I hope it dosen't turn out I'm really talking out of my ass.

C.J.Spiller- Reminds me a lot of ADP's rookie year, he will be a stud this year.

Eddie Royal- What do you do with a shifty little guy with good hands who runs good routes, is quick out of his cuts and would be perfect in the "Welker" role in you offense? You bury him on the depth chart behind Jabar Gafney, Brandon Lloyd, a hurt rookie, any other WR off the scrap heap and have him return kicks and punts occasionally. McDouchbag please trade him to the Vikings!!!

What are you basing the overrated on Vincent Jackson and Mendenahll on? I got VJax in the 11th round in my draft, if your trying to tell me thats not good value and he wasnt good last year, last years stats were 68 catches, 1200 yds, 9 touchdowns....Thats more than serviceable and there is no way he holds out the whole year-worst case scenario is he comes back around Week 11 right in time for the playoffs
And Mendenhall averaged 4.6 ypc on over 240 touches last year--thats not a stinky Benson at all...And now that he has a full year under his belt you can expect him to get more carries, more touches, more opprutunity
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LMack » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:50 am

justinj312 wrote:As an Eagles fan, I think McCoy is getting overdrafted. ADP of 3.11 is too high IMO. I don't think he's a plug and play RB2 every week.

what're your McCoy reservations? He is PPR gold, and even in non PPR he has a chance to be around 1500 total yards and 5+ scores. Is that overly optimistic?
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Purple1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:36 pm

bostonsoxandy wrote:
Purple1 wrote:Overated-

Underated-

What are you basing the overrated on Vincent Jackson and Mendenahll on? I got VJax in the 11th round in my draft, if your trying to tell me thats not good value and he wasnt good last year, last years stats were 68 catches, 1200 yds, 9 touchdowns....Thats more than serviceable and there is no way he holds out the whole year-worst case scenario is he comes back around Week 11 right in time for the playoffs
And Mendenhall averaged 4.6 ypc on over 240 touches last year--thats not a stinky Benson at all...And now that he has a full year under his belt you can expect him to get more carries, more touches, more opprutunity

Ok so Benson and Mendy were about equal last year. The Cafe has him ranked at #8 and most other rankings I see have him right there or just outside the top 10. I've watched him play and had him on 1 team last year where his 4.6 yrds per carry sure didn't help me win any games. I just don't think hes top 10 talent and his ADP is a little to rich for average production esspecially in PPR.

As far as VJAX goes in the leagues I play in I couldnt afford to hold a roster spot on a guy whos missing at least 3 games probably more like 5-6 if he gets traded best case and 11 games worst case. You have to make the playoffs first and theres plenty of other guys late in the draft who will help you do that instead of being deadwieght on your roster. He had a good year last year in 09 and a pretty good 08 but if I'm holding a dead roster spot for somebody I want them to be better than good, I want a beast and I don't think anyboby would put VJax in that category.

If your really high on him he will probably be on waivers at some point in the year but drafting him and holding him at this point just seems like more trouble than its worth IMO. Why not just draft Floyd or N'anaee one of them will probably put up around the same or better #'s as VJAX last year. And they won't be putting up a fat 0 for most ofthe season.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby justinj312 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:58 am

LMack wrote:
justinj312 wrote:As an Eagles fan, I think McCoy is getting overdrafted. ADP of 3.11 is too high IMO. I don't think he's a plug and play RB2 every week.

what're your McCoy reservations? He is PPR gold, and even in non PPR he has a chance to be around 1500 total yards and 5+ scores. Is that overly optimistic?

Yes, PPR he is more valuable.

I don't think he is a goal line back, nor are the eagles a punch-it-in kinda team. Prob low TDs.
He has never carried the load for a full 16 games and he is not the biggest RB. Durability/injury questions.
Bell will be taking alot of his carries when the eagles are ahead and grinding out the clock. Weaver will get 5 touches a game. Decreasing his # of touches.

Maybe after this year he will be a 3.11, but right now I wouldn't gamble on it.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk