The #5 Pick Overall is Annoying this Year!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The #5 Pick Overall is Annoying this Year!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

The #5 Pick Overall is Annoying this Year!!!

Postby Metropolitans » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:18 am

Well every season, in the 1st round theres that 1 draft spot where the talent COMPLETELY drops off and thisyr, its the 5th overall pick. The consensus top 4 is (in now order) CJ2k, AP, MoJo, and Ray Rice... after that? According to ADP itd be SJax but I personally DO NOT feel comfortable snatching SJax 5th overall, not on that mess of a team! Of course, I was lucky enough to draw the 5th overall pick in my big money league! Im thinking the best route to go here might just be WR, as there are many MANY 3rd, 4th, and even some 5th Round RBs who have tremendous upside! Im thinking this year, the 5th overall spot might force a WR pick such as Andre Johnson, the only thing that concerns me with Andre is his Health, as he tends to be injured and losing your 1st round pick to injury is a BIG blow. It seems like everyones healthy in Houston (Schaub being healthy is a HUGE factor in Andre being a 1st Rounder too), so it seems like the logical choice... right??

I wanted the Fantasy Cafe to weigh in on their opinions of who should go 5th Overall??? Whatya think ladies n gents???
10Team H2H
(8-1 Record)
QB- Stafford
WR- VJax
WR- Marshall
WR/RB-JNelson
RB- RRice
RB- DMC
TE- Gronkowski
K- Akers
DEF- WW Matchups
Bench- Bradford, Morris, Meachem, JBest, JBaldwin, Ridley
Metropolitans
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The #5 Pick Overall is Annoying this Year!!!

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:22 am

i go gore or turner...whoever hits my fancy that day
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bostonsoxandy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:27 am

Metropolitans wrote:Well every season, in the 1st round theres that 1 draft spot where the talent COMPLETELY drops off and thisyr, its the 5th overall pick. The consensus top 4 is (in now order) CJ2k, AP, MoJo, and Ray Rice... after that? According to ADP itd be SJax but I personally DO NOT feel comfortable snatching SJax 5th overall, not on that mess of a team! Of course, I was lucky enough to draw the 5th overall pick in my big money league! Im thinking the best route to go here might just be WR, as there are many MANY 3rd, 4th, and even some 5th Round RBs who have tremendous upside! Im thinking this year, the 5th overall spot might force a WR pick such as Andre Johnson, the only thing that concerns me with Andre is his Health, as he tends to be injured and losing your 1st round pick to injury is a BIG blow. It seems like everyones healthy in Houston (Schaub being healthy is a HUGE factor in Andre being a 1st Rounder too), so it seems like the logical choice... right??

I wanted the Fantasy Cafe to weigh in on their opinions of who should go 5th Overall??? Whatya think ladies n gents???

Please see article in this same forum called: The Argument Against Taking a RB 1st Round

Basically to sum it up, 7 out of the 12 top running backs everywhere vastly do not live up to expectations, and considering the big 4 are very very very unlikely to be busts you can cut that number down to 7 out of 8. So take Andre Johnson or Brees or Rodgers there. Preferably in that order, or hope one of the big 4 somehow falls
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby petedog9 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:28 am

Is this a 10 or 12 teamer? If its a 10 teamer. then you just might take AJ and take whatever RB falls to you in the second. Matthews, Mendy , Greene, etc. If its a 12 teamer,that might be a little tougher... If you go RB , I go Gore and dont look back.. ;-D
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:34 pm

I am really intrigued by Gore as #5 too. The Niner offense can be very good this year if their QB doesn't stink it up. Turner is a beast too, so I do not see this as having your hand forced to pick Andre Johnson. You can't go wrong with any of these three, at this time. If it is a 3WR line-up, I would be tempted to go WR. If we are going 12 teamer or non-PPR, then the RBs look good. It will only be a tough call because all year your eyes will be on the guys you didn't grab.
DaShiz23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Goody » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:46 pm

Personally, I don't see a BIG drop off after the top 4. I have Turner and Gore at 5 and 6 respectively and really see the big drop off after 8 with Dwill 7 and AJ 8. That's me though. :-D
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 2ksports » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:49 pm

I got the 5th in a PPR, so I can't do Turner (PPR experts let me know if I'm wrong).

I'm highly considering going Moss here since he has the most potential. I'd expect somewhere around 1300 / 13.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metropolitans » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:15 pm

2ksports wrote:I got the 5th in a PPR, so I can't do Turner (PPR experts let me know if I'm wrong).

I'm highly considering going Moss here since he has the most potential. I'd expect somewhere around 1300 / 13.

I think in a PPR, if youre gonna take a WR, its gotta be Andre here! As hes always among league leaders in Receptions and if healthy, hes always a threat for 100 Receptions!!

As for the RB at the 5th spot, i am strongly considering going after Michael "the burner" Turner here! I sort of forgot about how much of a beast this guy can be! Gore was the other RB who i considered going with here, but id prolly go Turner before Gore (not by much though!). This league is not a PPR or itd be Andre Johnson by a mile for me in the 5th hole.
10Team H2H
(8-1 Record)
QB- Stafford
WR- VJax
WR- Marshall
WR/RB-JNelson
RB- RRice
RB- DMC
TE- Gronkowski
K- Akers
DEF- WW Matchups
Metropolitans
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:26 pm

petedog9 wrote:Is this a 10 or 12 teamer? If its a 10 teamer. then you just might take AJ and take whatever RB falls to you in the second. Matthews, Mendy , Greene, etc. If its a 12 teamer,that might be a little tougher... If you go RB , I go Gore and dont look back.. ;-D

10 or 12, if it is PPR take AJ, otherwise I'd to with Turner. Too many TDs to pass on with the Burner, and way studly in PPR for Andre 2000.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Metropolitans » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:22 am

I really like the idea of snatching up Michael Turner or Frank Gore here but the idea of going WR-WR in Rds 1 and 2 is just too enticing... so far its been like Andre-BMarshall-Wells-Moreno... which i LOVE! i dont know... maybe i could go... Turner-Marshall-Boldin-Moreno... i like that too!! Still experimenting with different strategies!! will be back to document my favorite approach... once i develop one!!! (maybe WR-WR-RB-TE-RB ????) :-?
10Team H2H
(8-1 Record)
QB- Stafford
WR- VJax
WR- Marshall
WR/RB-JNelson
RB- RRice
RB- DMC
TE- Gronkowski
K- Akers
DEF- WW Matchups