Who Are You Targeting? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who Are You Targeting?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who Are You Targeting?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:01 pm

rather than just post "sleepers" and have it turn into a big debate on what constitutes a sleeper, i though i'd post players i am targeting, regardless of round...

QB
Eli Manning - i'm not totally against drafting one of the "Big 7" QB's if the value is right, but most likely i'll be drafting RB and WR and nabbing my QB later. for where Eli is going i think he's great value...i dont ever see him posting Top 5 numbers, but he's not going to disapoint either

Chad Henne the addition of Marshall is only going to help him. i wouldnt rely on him as a starter but he has some nice upside for a backup

Matt Stafford you'd think i know better being a Lions fan, but i think he has a shot at cracking the Top 10

Alex Smith i'm really starting to take a liking to him. Crabtree, V. Davis, Gore vs St. Louis, Arizona and Seattle for 6 games :-L ...again, not as a starter, but as a backup or platoon QB you can play against the NFC West

RB
DeAngelo Williams if i'm picking 1.07 or later and he's on the board i'm grabbing him...excellent shot of posting Top 5 numbers with or without J-Stew

Jahvid Best again maybe i'm eating the cornbread, but the Lions are clearly high on him and he'll be involved in the passing game...i'd rather pass on the Charles, Grant, Thomas, etc and take a chance on him as my RB 2 a few rounds later

Marion Barber for where he can be had i think he's good value. not a guy i'd want to count on every week, but i'd definately feel comfortable trotting him out for bye weeks and/or injury replacemnets

Ahmad Bradshaw i think he overtakes Jacobs as the feature back if he hasnt already

CJ Spiller the Bills want to get him carries and he's explosive...yes please

Kareem Huggins could be WW fodder after a week or two, but he can be had very late and only has a busted up Caddy in front of him

WR
Calvin Johnson OK so i have a Lion at each position already...i think the addition of Best, Burleson and Scheffler gives him some breathing room and he should end up back in the Top 5. if he's there late 2nd/early 3rd i'm all over him

Steve Smith CAR came on strong at the end of last season...he always seems to have a chip on his shoulder and gives a great effort

Michael Crabtree wouldnt be at all surprised to see him end up a Top 10 WR by years end

Nate Burleson if i miss out on Calvin i'm looking at him late

Devin Aromashodu Knox is getting a lot of hype but i think Aroma get's the TD's

Mike Thomas i'm banking on a Steve Smith NYG type breakout

TE
Brent Celek i think he posts Top 5 numbers again and can usually be had later than Clark, Gates, V. Davis and Finley

Owen Daniels the knee is a bit of a concern, but i think he's worth the gamble if you are waiting on a TE

DEF
San Francisco 6 games against the NFC West...yes please
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who Are You Targeting?

Postby Oatsdad » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:48 pm

A few I like across the board:

QB: Cutler. Could be an outright disaster, or could be excellent. Betting on the latter.

RB: Mendenhall. Young, gets a full workload, and has no competition.

WR: Crabtree. If he could play THAT well in his rookie year with no training camp, I can't wait to see what he'll do now.

TE: Miller (OAK). He had a good year without a legit QB, and now he gets one who loves to throw to TEs.
Oatsdad
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dream_017 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:49 pm

I'll just delete this thread for you Dan so we don't have to re-visit the Lions picks later ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LMack » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:34 pm

The player who seems to be targeting me (already own him in multiple leagues) is Greg Jennings
I've been snatching up 2 quality RB's in the first and second rounds, and Jennings is always there waiting for me in the 3rd. He will be my WR1 in many leagues. I whole whole heartedly expect the 4 TD mark to be eclipsed, and could see him flirting close to double digit scores. I love me some Jennings.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Devin Aromashodu

Owen Daniels

Jahvid Best
DaShiz23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:02 pm

Dallas Clark :-C ;-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 pm

dream_017 wrote:I'll just delete this thread for you Dan so we don't have to re-visit the Lions picks later ;-D

Leave Dan alone. At least he didn't put Scheffler on his TE list. (though I know he wanted to)

QB-Kolb if he falls far enough. He is in a perfect place to post top numbers.
Liking Eli too. Just can't buy going to the run when you have no durable RBs. Chance at 4K and 25TDs late.

WR-Megatron. Not a cornbread pick, this guy is good and it looks like his team O has improved. Could be top 3.
Burleson and Bryant Johnson--no wait, looking at Dan's list :-b
TE-Gates if he falls to end of 3rd or 4th.
Owen Daniels and Cooley.
Suddenly Shiancoe looks like great value where he is going.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby u_fig_eater » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:30 pm

"Value" picks:

WR: Johnny Knox, Chad Ochocinco, Marques Colston, Dwayne Bowe

RB: Ryan Grant, Joseph Addai, Pierre Thomas

TE: Jason Witten
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metropolitans » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Carson Palmer (QB-Cin): Even before TO signed, I was going to target Carson bc before his knee surgery, he was an Elite QB and now hell be over a year removed from that knee surgery. Now add in a HoF WR with A LOT still left in the tank to go opposite of OchoCinco, plus their Running Game was great lastyr so teams have to be honest when Defending them... can you say HUGE year!?!?
SIDE NOTE: Every Fantasy Season, i look for a Value QB, as I dislike Drafting QBs with early Picks, so I hunt down that QB who has GREAT Value, but not a high price tag. I Literally LOAD UP on this guy and draft him in EVERY Single League, sometimes ill even take him a Round early to ensure that I get my guy. Ive been VERY Fortunate in the last 3 Seasons, guessing right in all 3, 2007-Romo, 2008-Cutler, and 2009-Schaub. I say this bc SO FAR, im viewing Carson Palmer as that guy!)

Anthony Gonzalez (WR-Ind): If you look a year ago, I created a thread very similar to this (under my old name "NYMetsin2k4") and youll find A-Gon on this list. Obviously, due to a Week 1 Injury that hampered him ALL year long, he was a BIG disappoinment. You might as well throw out every single stat from lastyr, as Gonzalez was a shell of his former self due to his knee injury suffered in Week 1, it was a completely Lost Season, but theres A LOT to LOVE with this guy going into 2010... I LOVE the fact that hes going sooooo late now, I LOVE the fact that Garcon is going higher than him, and I LOVE the fact that multiple people will probably respond to this saying Garcon is better and Gonzalez wont have a defined role. He has post-hype sleeper written all over him and Im predicting a breakout campaign. Him and Peyton were developing some awesome chemistry before he went down and I fully expect A-Gon to be his #3 target (behind only Wayne and Clark). Peytons #3 target is good enough for a WR3 on ANY Fantasy Team, but Im planning on A-Gon putting up WR2 numbers, knocking on WR1's door!!

Before I get into my RB "targets", let me start off by saying that I am in absolute LOVE with the RB crop going in Rounds 3-6. This LOVE has prompted me to adapt a WR-WR (Rds 1-2) Strategy for the 2010 Season, but that also depends on my Draft Position of course!

Knowshon Moreno (RB-Den): Shanahan gone, backfield already banged up (including Moreno unfortunately!), big and talented runner behind a powerful offensive line... Ill take my chances here! With Marshall gone, and Orton less than terrific, Knowshon is BY FAR the Broncos "most talented" offensive weapon. He should be the focal point of Denvers offense and I know a lot of people expected 'big things' from him lastyr but Buckhalter continued to steal the show from him. He was an inexperienced rookie with a veteran RB sharing the touches with him, so i wasnt pushed away from Knowshon after his less than stellar rookie campaign. I actually like the fact that he didnt put up HUGE numbers like many ppl expected bc now it allows me to nab him in the 3rd+ Round... with Confidence!!!

Arian Foster (RB-Hou): I havent had the luxury of watching Foster too much so far but everything Ive read points to a featured back role for Foster. Houstons gonna be good this season, Houstons Offense is gonna be VERY good this season, Schaub and the passing attack are gonna be DYNAMIC this season... hopefully, in all likelihood, opening up the Running Game for Foster to showoff his 1-Cut Slasher, Running Style... And if you follow MoJo's Fantasy Advice, He LOVES Foster! :-D haha, im serious here though! ;-D

Michael Bush / Darren McFadden (RB-Oak): Just about all Oaklands been able to do (positively) in the past few seasons is defend opposing teams #1 WR with Nnamdi (or however its spelled), and run the ball. Huggy Bear Jr (Justin Fargas) is gone, so that leaves just Run DMC (Darren McFadden) and Michael Bush. I really liked Run DMC to breakout lastyr but Oakland was so freakin bad, Barry Sanders in his prime couldnt have emerged outta that backfield! Naturally, going into this year, id be all over McFadden right?? Not quite! Bush has looked like a much better NFL RB with his aggressive Running Style and Darren has looked more like a Flex Back (Reggie Bush or Dexter McCluster). In PPR, Run DMC can still provide some solid value, but in standard leagues, Bush is more than likely gonna be the lead back. I like Oakland to be MUCH improved and I like Jason Campbell to keep teams honest and open up the Running Game. I have a strong feeling that either Bush or McFadden is gonna breakout with an improving Oakland Offense and I could even see the Raiders Winning 8 Games, creating some competition with SD for the Division... I hate to say Both RBs will breakout bc they arent suddenly going to be a dynamic enough offense to allow 2 RBs to have Fantasy Relevance, but I could see like a Miami or Carolina-type situation where 1 RB gets all the 1st Half Buzz, but then due to injuries, allows the other RB to steal the 2nd half show... I dunno, im completely TORN here! ... Everything logical says, without a doubt Bush, but my Man-Crush and just knowing his UBER athleticism says Run DMC is too talented to be an NFL Bust, hes not little a frail like Reggie Bush, hes big enough to run in between the tackles, i dunno.... I guess My Head says Bush but My Gut says McFadden... Im a stubborn guy though so I might ride DMC into the ground... in other words, ignore my man-crush on Run DMC and just Draft Michael Bush with Absolute Confidence!!!

Felix Jones (RB-Dal): It definitely concerns me that the Barbarian will be the GL Back and probably steal a bunch of GL carries, and thus A LOT of TDs. But Felix is such a SERIOUS HR Threat! Jerry Jones has been trying to get Felix more involved for a couple seasons now and hes been saying since the end of lastyr that he fully plans on getting Felix much more touches. I know hes the owner but when someone with Jerrys Power speaks, his coaches listen (...or else!). Felix has the potential to be a RB1, is the situation going to permit it??? Im not so sure yet, but the Cowboys Offense is gonna be Tops in the NFL, Potentially Top 3 Behind ONLY the Saints and Colts (notice is said "potentially" NOT definitely!). This is either going to imply 1 of 2 things... Breakout for Felix Jones and hell be a 1st Rounder across the board going into 2011 or GREAT Value for Marion Barber bc hes falling pretty late, as hes no longer labeled the "lead back". The Cowboys have said theyve wanted Marion to be rested and ready to pound teams when theyre exhausted. Theyve wanted to use him like a Closer to come in, late in the game, and beat down tired and exhausted Defenses, or come into the RZ and Pound the Ball into the Endzone against tired Defensemen. This could bode well for Marion, as hell be facing guys less than 100% energy and should feast against these exhausted guys... But Barbers health is ALWAYS a concern, if he goes down, which is almost 50/50 nowadays, Felix IS and WILL BE a Running Back #1.... if....

Donald Brown (RB-Ind): Joseph Addai DEFINITELY had a resurgence last season and provided loyal fantasy owners with some serious value out of an (thought to be) aging Star. Fantasy Wise, ANY and ALL Indianapolis RB is going to be Awesome, but as it stands, Addai is the Lead Back here. Brown only played in 11 Games last season, largely due to an injury which ailed him all of 2009, limiting his touches and depleting his overall numbers. With Brown healthy this season (i havent heard anything suggesting otherwise), he should see nothing less than 50/50 Touches with Addai, maybe not to start off the year but by seasons end 50/50 would be best case scenario for Addai-Owners, as I expect Brown to be the Lead-Back in this amazing Offense. Plain and simple, Brown was drafted in the 1st Round before lastyrs season, to begin to take over for Joseph Addai, due to injuries, that plan was side-swiped. But 2010 is a new year, and god-willing, a healthy year for Donald Brown, hes had enough time to learn this offense, now we just need the execution... I might be going out on a limb here but I could see him Breaking Out BIG TIME! Not quite Ray Rice Breakout, but RR had the starting Gig going into 2009, but definitely Mendenhall-esque... yeah I like that idea MUCH better. FWP was the Joseph Addai (aging RB who just doesnt have it anymore) and Donald Browns that Young RB (like Mendy) who got hurt and never got a shot his Rookie year, only to re-emerge his Sophomore Season and prove to his team why he was drafted in the 1st Round, and slowly work his way onto the 1st team, only to eventually get a crack at the Starting Job once Addai goes down with a little Nagging injury... and hell NEVER look back!!!!

I know I have a few other guys I wanted to add to this list, but I dont have the time to do a Write-Up for them, so theyll go on my "Honorable Mention" List:

Terrell Owens (love his situation, still VERY talented, age is only a number with this freakish athlete!)

Eddie Royal (Marshall Gone, Royal a possession WR and Orton doesnt have a Big-Time arm anyways, should be a good fit!)

I like the Michael Crabtree Predictions but I dont have much info to go on, I guess Ill just agree and trust you fellow cafe-holics!

Mike Wallace (Hines Ward has to age eventually right? if Hines continues to bath in the fountain of youth, replace Wallace with Ward, but regardless, these 2 compliment eachother well, Wallace is the ultimate HR Threat!)

Malcolm Floyd (well with VJax out potentially 6 weeks, Floyd has gotten A LOT of reps with QB Rivers, and those reps will definitely show through. I expect Floyd to be a HUGE fantasy asset for the first 6 weeks and ill be targeting him for that reason alone, as SD is a great passing team now, someone other than Gates has gotta FEAST right?)

Thats it for now Ladies n Gents... I Hope this was insightful and helpful!!

I look forward to your responses!!!
Last edited by Metropolitans on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10Team H2H
(8-1 Record)
QB- Stafford
WR- VJax
WR- Marshall
WR/RB-JNelson
RB- RRice
RB- DMC
TE- Gronkowski
K- Akers
DEF- WW Matchups
Bench- Bradford, Morris, Meachem, JBest, JBaldwin, Ridley
Metropolitans
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby t2green2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:49 pm

QB - Kolb
RB - Forte - Love the bounce back opp here even with Chester lurking
WR - Bowe another bounce back guy and Santana Moss later as I see McNabb looking his was alot this season. #1 Target now has to be Harvin as he becomes Bretts #1 now imo
t2green2
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk