Rookie needs draft advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rookie needs draft advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rookie needs draft advice

Postby SisTrunked » Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:19 pm

What are the differences in postion drafting between a 10 and 14 team league? Should you grab a QB earlier in a 14 team league? RB's? WR's? I'm also drafting 3 defensive positions. Like I said I'm a rookie and would like to finish out of last place so any advice at all would be appreciated
SisTrunked

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby SisTrunked » Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:22 pm

I should also say that both are new Keeper leagues
SisTrunked

Postby Fullaschit » Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:35 am

Hey Otis,
A good rule of thumb is, always take the best available player (QB, WR,RB only). Don't settle for a second tier running back and pass on a top tier QB because you want to stick to a stradagy.
Note; This does not apply to TE,K,def.
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than whats waiting at ESPORTNEWS,com . We must be cautious.
Fullaschit
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby cwebb » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:12 am

There are lots of different strategies, Fulla is right, TE (except Gonzalez), K, and defense players can be drafted very late with not much of a loss of production.

RB is the most important position, only every-down backs are good fantasy players, and those are hard to find. And it's always easier to trade a RB away and get good value than to trade for a RB, because the price is very high.

WR and QB are easier to fill because there's a whole lot of them, all of them getting all the playing time.

What's maybe very important for a rookie: Don't get caught up in runs. If three guys before you pick the first TEs, don't go for number four in a row, they will have overlooked a better WR or QB easily and you can pick a TE very much later and you won't lose much.
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dan » Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:16 am

well, Fulla is right generally, but I do think there is a difference betwenn 10 and 14 team leagues!

10 team leagues are way easier to draft, as there is plenty of talent available also in the middle rounds.

14 teams makes it a little trickier. Generally the rule take the best player available also stands here, but you have to take care, that you dont get lost on RB or QB position after 4-5 rounds.

I would say, try to have at least ONE RB after two rounds and one QB after 4 rounds, then you shouldhave filled these two positions at least with one player. from then on take the best available WRs/Rbs (there wont be much left....so better try getting another RB at least in round six). So after six, if your roster looks like: 1 QB, 2RB and 3 WR it should be fine.

Remember, 14 teams means, if every team has 2 RBs, there arent much starters left there, so you have to look out here, to get a second starter relatively earlier. In smaller leagues you will get at least some less rated RB-starters in the 8th-9th round.
Dan
Maitre D'
Maitre D'

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kundog » Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:31 pm

Go with running backs early. There are not many reliable backs. If you can draft a good quarterback that would be great, but with 10 teams there will be better quarterbacks available late. Many teams that win the league will have a premier back on their team.
kundog

Return to Football Talk