Same team player combos? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Same team player combos?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Same team player combos?

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:51 am

So do you mind this? Having the QB/WR from the same team? Same thing with WR/RB, QB/RB etc.

Personally, I try to stay away unless its too hard to pass up value guys. I believe I read an article a year or two ago about this, and basically the same team combos were a bit more inconsistent as different team combos, though both scored about the same points, assuming similarly ranked/projected guys. I don't remember it 100% though

For example, this year I really like Calvin Johnson, but I like jahvid best even more later in the draft.

What do you guys think about the situation in general
Reg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Same team player combos?

Postby petedog9 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:55 am

I wouldnt pass on BPA regardless of who I already had or was targetting later on.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LMack » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:08 am

I could see consistency as a problem, but that works both ways. Both players could have a bad game, but both could have a great game in a 30+ point route. It can kill some weeks I'm sure, but it can help some too.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:28 am

LMack wrote:I could see consistency as a problem, but that works both ways. Both players could have a bad game, but both could have a great game in a 30+ point route. It can kill some weeks I'm sure, but it can help some too.

sure, it could give you some huge weeks, but excess scoring is a big problem I see in fantasy football that people ignore. you can have 2 guys that score 300 points over the season, but 1 of the guys scores 100 of those points in 2 weeks, while the other is consistent. remember, you don't get more wins for beating your opponent by a large margin.

so I rather have the safe pair of guys, rather than the pair that might give me a huge number one week(which may be overkill) and that puts up total duds in other weeks
Reg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby LMack » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:30 am

Just because 2 of your players have a great week doesn't mean there is excess scoring involved
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby dgan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:58 pm

I ended up with M. Turner and R. White in my draft, and didn't even realize I had guys from the same team until it was over. I don't think twice about it.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Purple1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Its really only a problem if you have multiple payers on crappy teams, but having more than one player on a high scoring offense like the colts, saints, and packers is a very effective strategy for most of the season.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby markulous » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:08 am

petedog9 wrote:I wouldnt pass on BPA regardless of who I already had or was targetting later on.

This.

And I'd never purposely draft a QB/WR combo either. In one of my leagues I got Nicks and Eli without realizing it. Just draft BAP(or BPA).
markulous
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bostonsoxandy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:15 pm

In a 10 man PPR league I took:

Philip Rivers, Ryan Matthews, and Vincent Jackson

Jay Cutler and Matt Forte

Frank Gore and Vernon Davis

Do any of those bother me? Not at all....If Rivers sucks it up that should mean Matthews gets more carries that game and does really well, and vice versa if Matthews sucks it up...
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:09 pm

I ended up with Schaub, Foster and Andre. I have no problem starting all three in any given week. Foster was gifted to me late in the draft the next day Tate went down. Its a PPR league and I can shuffle Addai in there too. I went WR/WR with AJ and Roddy White. Took Schaub as a hookup for AJ never thinking of Foster being the third. Ryan Mathews is my other starter so my team looks good on paper. So that means Ill finish last this year.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk