Difference Between 4pts/6pts For Passing TDs. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Difference Between 4pts/6pts For Passing TDs.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Difference Between 4pts/6pts For Passing TDs.

Postby Lucky7 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:40 pm

I have always played in leagues where passing TDs are worth 4 pts, and I have generally avoided taking a QB early (under the theory that the difference between the #1 QB and #10 QB is generally less than at other positions), and had good success. I'm curious whether this strategy holds true in leagues that award 6 pts for passing TDs. I would think that the logic remains the same given that the relative value between the QBs remains the same regardless of whether they get 4 or 6 pts. Any thoughts?
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Difference Between 4pts/6pts For Passing TDs.

Postby kliquid » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Lucky7 wrote:I have always played in leagues where passing TDs are worth 4 pts, and I have generally avoided taking a QB early (under the theory that the difference between the #1 QB and #10 QB is generally less than at other positions), and had good success. I'm curious whether this strategy holds true in leagues that award 6 pts for passing TDs. I would think that the logic remains the same given that the relative value between the QBs remains the same regardless of whether they get 4 or 6 pts. Any thoughts?

I think it's a balance. While your theory of relative value still holds true, there becomes a difference in certain QB's who may be yardage-heavy, but not so much touchdown-heavy.

For example, Kyle Orton threw for 3802 yards and 21 TD last year, which would have made him a low-end #1 QB in deeper leagues, but his value took a hit in touchdown-heavy leagues, which dropped him into the caliber of being a #2 QB even in deep leagues.

Overall, though, the value doesn't change a whole lot. If you consider that you're only adding 2 points per touchdown, even if you compare two guys who have the exact same passing yardage while one throws 6 more touchdowns on the year than the other; that only equates to a 12-point difference on the year from a normal scoring system.

What it really comes down to is what other owners in your league think. A lot of people still have the "I need to get the player who scores the most total points" mindset and they don't think about the relative value. Because of this, if you're in a 6-point passing TD league, you will probably see quarterbacks taken maybe a round or perhaps two higher than they would be in normal fantasy drafts. Whereas Peyton Manning might've been a mid-to-late-2nd rounder in normal scoring systems, he might bump up to a late 1st-rounder in a TD-heavy passing league.

Again, though, I contend that fantasy owners should go into their draft saying, "I don't want a QB worse than this guy" and then target him, or maybe the QB above him, when they're drafting. This is often somewhere between the 6th-12th ranked QB, depending on your preferences and your desire to be 'safe'. If you have this strategy, you let the elite guys go early and you can wait until you're practically forced to grab a starting QB based on the guys who are left. You'll still have a QB whom you're comfortable with, but you won't have to spend such a high pick on him... And guys like Matt Schaub, Philip Rivers, Kevin Kolb, Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, and Brett Favre in that 6-12 range; most owners can find at least a name or two on that list whom they'd be comfortable with.
kliquid
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Widely discussed in this thread. viewtopic.php?t=469654

Pretty much changes nothing other than perception. and that is enough. Expect QB runs to start earlier and be prepared to draft accordingly.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Lucky7 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:49 pm

moochman wrote:Widely discussed in this thread. viewtopic.php?t=469654

Pretty much changes nothing other than perception. and that is enough. Expect QB runs to start earlier and be prepared to draft accordingly.

I'm not sure that others' perception changes much. If the theory is that it's best to wait to take a 9-12 ranked QB (in a 10 team league), then those who value QBs more in a 6 pt passing scoring system will be passing on more highly ranked players at other positions to grab their QB early. This benefits those who espouse the wait-for-QB theory, as they can load up on more talent at other positions. Where the early run may have an effect is if those early-QB-takers start drafting backup QBs early.
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:59 pm

Lucky7 wrote:

I'm not sure that others' perception changes much. If the theory is that it's best to wait to take a 9-12 ranked QB (in a 10 team league), then those who value QBs more in a 6 pt passing scoring system will be passing on more highly ranked players at other positions to grab their QB early. This benefits those who espouse the wait-for-QB theory, as they can load up on more talent at other positions. Where the early run may have an effect is if those early-QB-takers start drafting backup QBs early.

Thinking that if drafters perceive more QB value then you may have to take the 9-12 ranked QB a round or two earlier.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Lucky7 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:09 pm

moochman wrote:
Lucky7 wrote:

Thinking that if drafters perceive more QB value then you may have to take the 9-12 ranked QB a round or two earlier.

Only if they start taking backups early though. Otherwise, you can wait.
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby CRob44 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:35 pm

lol at no good responses only whining
CRob44
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Return to Football Talk