TJ Houshmandzadeh (Now A Raven): Undervalued? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TJ Houshmandzadeh (Now A Raven): Undervalued?

Moderator: Football Moderators

TJ Houshmandzadeh (Now A Raven): Undervalued?

Postby baseketball4life » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Just something I've noticed in both mock drafts and real drafts, but it seems to me T.J Houshmandzadeh is being undervalued this year, currently going around round 9-11 in standard 12 team leagues I'm seeing and that's as a bench WR which just doesn't make sense to me especially in PPR leagues.

Here are the facts:

79 receptions for 900+ yards and 3 TDs last year is actually good considering what TJ went through last year. Playing with 3 broken ribs and a groin tear coupled with Matt Hasselbeck being hurt all year long and a weak offensive line, this year TJ is 100% healthy and so is Hasselbeck. The offensive line is vastly improved and should give Hasselbeck enough time to hit TJ a lot more, reports lately have described TJ's play as very impressive and for those who saw the first 2 qtrs of Seattle's last preseason game he looked like spry and like his healthy self catching 4 passes for 60 yards in less than a half of work from Hasselbeck.

Another thing a lot of people don't realize is yes Housh is 32 years old but he's never been a speed or deep threat guy, he is a possession/physical receiver who goes over the middle and he can do that all day for the next couple years at a high level assuming he has a competent QB (not Seneca Wallace) and is healthy (not playing with a torn groin and 3 broken ribs). Look all he has to do is catch half a pass more per game which if healthy and Hasselbeck healthy should be a cupcake and he's over 85 receptions and over 1,000 yards receiving add in the fact the Seattle offense should be much improved and plays in a weak division he should score a few more TDs at the very least i expect atleast 5. Houshmandzadeh himself claims 100 receptions should be the minimum he gets in the revamped Seattle offensive and although I don't see that as likely it could definitely be possible, I'm expecting more along the lines of:

87 receptions, 1050 yards and 7 touchdowns making him a very good WR3 in PPR leagues who has WR2 upside. In standard non-PPR formats he is also a very good WR3 who should produce points on a consistent basis.

What do others on the board think?

I don't see how he can not improve on 80 rec 900+ yards 3 TD last year assuming health to he and Hasselbeck for 16 games looking back at what TJ went through last year he is a great value in the mid to late rounds of drafts because his real value lies as a WR2-WR3 in PPR leagues and atleast a WR3 in standard leagues.
[url=http://i22.photobucket.com/]Image[/url]
baseketball4life
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

TJ Houshmandzadeh: Undervalued?

Postby baseketball4life » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:09 pm

Just something I've noticed in both mock drafts and real drafts, but it seems to me T.J Houshmandzadeh is being undervalued this year, currently going around round 9-11 in standard 12 team leagues I'm seeing and that's as a bench WR which just doesn't make sense to me especially in PPR leagues.

Here are the facts:

79 receptions for 900+ yards and 3 TDs last year is actually good considering what TJ went through last year. Playing with 3 broken ribs and a groin tear coupled with Matt Hasselbeck being hurt all year long and a weak offensive line, this year TJ is 100% healthy and so is Hasselbeck. The offensive line is vastly improved and should give Hasselbeck enough time to hit TJ a lot more, reports lately have described TJ's play as very impressive and for those who saw the first 2 qtrs of Seattle's last preseason game he looked like spry and like his healthy self catching 4 passes for 60 yards in less than a half of work from Hasselbeck.

Another thing a lot of people don't realize is yes Housh is 32 years old but he's never been a speed or deep threat guy, he is a possession/physical receiver who goes over the middle and he can do that all day for the next couple years at a high level assuming he has a competent QB (not Seneca Wallace) and is healthy (not playing with a torn groin and 3 broken ribs). Look all he has to do is catch half a pass more per game which if healthy and Hasselbeck healthy should be a cupcake and he's over 85 receptions and over 1,000 yards receiving add in the fact the Seattle offense should be much improved and plays in a weak division he should score a few more TDs at the very least i expect atleast 5. Houshmandzadeh himself claims 100 receptions should be the minimum he gets in the revamped Seattle offensive and although I don't see that as likely it could definitely be possible, I'm expecting more along the lines of:

87 receptions, 1050 yards and 7 touchdowns making him a very good WR3 in PPR leagues who has WR2 upside. In standard non-PPR formats he is also a very good WR3 who should produce points on a consistent basis.

What do others on the board think?

I don't see how he can not improve on 80 rec 900+ yards 3 TD last year assuming health to he and Hasselbeck for 16 games looking back at what TJ went through last year he is a great value in the mid to late rounds of drafts because his real value lies as a WR2-WR3 in PPR leagues and atleast a WR3 in standard leagues.
baseketball4life
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: TJ Houshmandzadeh: Undervalued?

Postby Goody » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:55 pm

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Don't let the secret out.....
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby baseketball4life » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:58 pm

Goody wrote:SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Don't let the secret out.....

had both my drafts, have him on both teams as Wr3's and they are 14 team leagues ;-D
baseketball4life
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dan42288 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:19 pm

I completely agree with you he is undervalued. Hassleback isn't Drew Brees but then again he is a number one WR without Burleson stealing his catches.
Dan42288
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:31 pm

While I agree he is undervalued, it is concerning that I haven't seen him look like anything more than a pedestrian. Fears over Hassleback <--bad back, get it, staying healthy and a new head coach who has no ties with remaining players add a bit more uncertainty to the Housh puzzle. He is prolly good value, but you can no longer draft him and yell "Championship!"

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby baseketball4life » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:37 pm

moochman wrote:While I agree he is undervalued, it is concerning that I haven't seen him look like anything more than a pedestrian. Fears over Hassleback <--bad back, get it, staying healthy and a new head coach who has no ties with remaining players add a bit more uncertainty to the Housh puzzle. He is prolly good value, but you can no longer draft him and yell "Championship!"

I take it you didn't see last game he looked perfectly fine to me grabbing 4 balls for 60 yards from hass. I think he can still create separation with his physical style of play and yeah he's 32 but isn't TO like 37? Hines Ward 36, Donald Driver 36, Ochocinco 32, Steve Smith something like 32. Age is meaningless to me it's more about style of play and visual evidence, I thought Housh looked good last year himself even while injured I watched a lot of hawks' games he was without a QB though.
baseketball4life
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PuntinFool » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:55 am

I think what is more pivotal for Housh's success, aside from a healthy Hasselback and a stronger O-line, is getting some offensive support. There's no one opposite Housh that is really going to worry defenses and prevent them from possibly doubling up on him. The running game really needs to sort itself out to give Housh a little more room to roam. Really, that offense is just a quizzical mess.

I like Housh as a WR3 too, but the choice of him over someone young and upcoming like Johnny Knox or Dez Bryant is up to the individual. I'm a sucker for veterans, (Donald Driver and me are buddies every year) so I hope this Seattle veteran bounces back in a big way.
Retired (temporarily?) from fantasy football.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cubsfan2803 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:13 pm

I hope that this is the case. All of your points seemed very valid.
Cubsfan2803
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bears2 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:41 pm

i dont think he is undervalued. He is a posession receiver not a break away receiver. He was the recipient of being on the other side of chad in cincy. If hasselback stays healthy he is ok,but seattle still has better recievers. If hasselback gets hurt which is probable he is a totally wasted pick. i would not even touch him at any pick.
bears2
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk