TJ Houshmandzadeh (Now A Raven): Undervalued? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TJ Houshmandzadeh (Now A Raven): Undervalued?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: TJ Houshmandzadeh: Undervalued?

Postby justinj312 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:53 am

IMO, Housh's best days are behind him, let someone else draft him.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PuntinFool » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:17 am

Retired (temporarily?) from fantasy football.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:07 pm

I understand Mooch's play off of Matt's name, but to the rest of you first off its bEck not bAck and its Hassel, making it Matt Hasselbeck. Anyways, TJs value as much depends on Matt as it does on him not staying the premadona that he wanted to be last year.

@ baseketball - Wouldn't count on Matt being 100% for very long. He's a very fragile QB and being healthy before week 1 doesn't mean jack until he makes it through those first 4 quarters, injuries can't be predicted, but with Matt neither can his health. Also pointing out the point that hes slow and not a deep guy isn't a good point in that offense. What I mean by that is by him being the physical/possession receiver doesn't benefit him as it just makes it easier for teams to double him with a backer and db over the top, because they know hes not going to be running many, if any, flag routes and the new school LB has enough speed to keep him covered. Lastly, how many players that predict what they 'should' get actually get it? 100rec is bogus in that offense, and thinking he scores 7TDs again is just about insane, hes done that 3 times in his career all with another WR worth a damn keeping eyes off him in Cincy. I say 75-80rec 950yds and 4TDs best case.

The thing that I'm looking at is the fact that Carrol is going out and recruiting WR that were busts a few years ago to 'try out' and make the team to instantly step in as a WR3 (The USC Mike Williams). This Seattle offense is just not looking that good in terms of position players. TJ will have all eyes on him again this year (yes injuries were a factor last year, but couldn't have been that much cuz if they were hampering his ability then the coaching staff or himself would have benched him) because Branch will do nothing like last year, Mike Williams is becoming a journey man only reason hes getting a chance in Seattle is because of his ex-college coach and Golden Tate has told the media he doesn't know what the hell hes doing.

You want to pick and Undervalued pass catcher from Seattle? Take John Carlson, hes basically TJHoush V2.0, hes a big target just like TJ, a possession receiver just like TJ, and better yet hes more of Matt's favorite target cuz of his TE position. Plus ontop of the TJ comparison's hes more of a vertical and deep threat with more youth then TJ. I just don't think that TJ can be trusted because of his antics he will pull throughout the year and his dependancy on Matt's health, thus thats why hes being drafted so low. Sugar coating a situation and looking only at the good can definitely give you confidence in drafting someone, but if you don't look at the whole situation and take the bad with the good then it just might prove its value at the end of the year....

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KasT » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:38 pm

Seattle really is a mess, you have good points but there are counters that were overlooked: Average O line @ best, no Running game and double teams on TJ all day:

80 Receptions, 925 yds 4 TDs is his ceiling imo. (Still a bit undervalued IF he can get there........we'll see)
KasT
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:03 am

Earlier in preseason, I was thinking to myself that Housh could actually be cut. Obviously that doesn't look probable now, but there are still some speculative whispers that he could be traded. Just saw that Rotoworld says his 7 mil salary is guaranteed, so its much more likely he'll be traded than cut.

The Seahawks are rebuilding. As bazzy pointed out, Seattle is broad, if not deep, at WR. Branch, Williams, Butler, and Tate are all guys that can be plugged in. Carroll is a new coach, and he has no connection or obligation to Housh. I think its very possible that he'll be outplayed by at at least two of those guys. In that case, he'll probably be traded because he'll refuse to accept a reduced role.

My prediction: 50/50 chance of being traded. Repeat last year's stats if he stays.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metropolitans » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:27 am

I dont think theres any question that his 09 campaign was derailed by multiple injuries... with that said, he is healthy now and just about the only thing seattle can do is pass the ball. you guys said it above, there are a couple WRs that could play themselves into a premier role, along side of Housh (not instead of Housh). TJ will put together a better season than lastyr, do i think he returns to his Cinci form? ehhhh, not too sure, if Seattles decent, Housh will be Good, if theyre bad, hell be Ok, but i think lastyrs stats are a big result of his injury woes. Hes still good value no matter what u say, i just got em in the 10th rd of a 10 teamer as my 4th WR... cant hurt me at all going that late! ........atleast i hope not!
10Team H2H
(8-1 Record)
QB- Stafford
WR- VJax
WR- Marshall
WR/RB-JNelson
RB- RRice
RB- DMC
TE- Gronkowski
K- Akers
DEF- WW Matchups
Bench- Bradford, Morris, Meachem, JBest, JBaldwin, Ridley
Metropolitans
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby iloveny18 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:18 pm

if he gets the boot, then who's the WR to target in seattle? Branch?
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby justinj312 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:31 am

iloveny18 wrote:if he gets the boot, then who's the WR to target in seattle? Branch?

Never again, IMO stay away from Branch. I'd rather go fishing for a Ind, SD, or Hou upcoming WR.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:14 am

Seahawks looking to trade Houshmandzadeh, save over $7M
By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
Published: Sept. 2, 2010 at 04:59 p.m. Updated: Sept. 3, 2010 at 03:03 a.m.

The Seattle Seahawks like their emerging wide receivers and have made it know that veteran T.J. Houshmandzadeh, a top free-agent signing by their prior regime in 2009, is available, league sources said Thursday.

The market for Houshmandzadeh is very limited, according to the sources, for the same reason the Seahawks are looking to move him -- his salary. Houshmandzadeh is guaranteed to earn more than $7 million this season and is coming off an unproductive year. Executives with teams that are in the market for receivers say they have no interest in taking on Houshmandzadeh's contract.

Houshmandzadeh addressed his situation after Thursday night's preseason loss to the Oakland Raiders and said he isn't nervous about the possibility of leaving Seattle.

"It's just like anything, anybody wants to feel wanted," Houshmandzadeh said, according to The Seattle Times. "So if I'm not here, they don't want me here, whoever I'm going to wants me. So that's how you've got to look at it. I'm ready to play."

Mike Williams, a former first-round draft pick with the Detroit Lions, has played himself into the picture in Seattle after two years away from football, NFL.com's Steve Wyche reports. Former Notre Dame receiver Golden Tate was drafted by the Seahawks in the second round of April's draft. And 27-year-old Brandon Jones signed with the team Aug. 22, four days after being released by the San Francisco 49ers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... _headlines
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby biju » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:41 am

iloveny18 wrote:if he gets the boot, then who's the WR to target in seattle? Branch?

People will laugh at this, but it's true: Mike Williams. The guy has looked great in preseason, first against the 2nd and 3rd stringers and then again against the ones. He's seriously going to make the entire WR corps much better as he'll take some pressure off Housh and put Branch into a slot role that can be traded off with Deon Butler and Golden Tate.

If Hasselbeck and the O-line can hold up I really believe the Seahawks WRs are going to surprise people. I'm not saying they are in the top 25% of the league or anything, but they were 15th in passing yards/game last year and I don't see them moving down the list in 2010.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk