The Wildcat in Philly - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Wildcat in Philly

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Wildcat in Philly

Postby teezy33 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Okay, not really Fantasy related, but this one's been bugging me for over a year now...

When the Eagles signed Vick, aside from all the dog-fighting controversy, I was excited to have him as a QB2 because of his speed and elusiveness, as well as his cannon of an arm. I though to myself, gee, the Birds now have the potential to run the most amazing wildcat offense ever known to man. However, all of last year, I guess while Vick was getting himself back into the swing of things, Andy completely BOTCHED the wildcat offense, and it was highly ineffective. Here's my theory as to why - Andy was running a wild cat with Vick in the game, but he was pulling McNabb out of the game, thus making the offense much more predictable - Defenses knew he was going to get the ball off the snap, it was just a matter of him running or throwing that they had to worry about. Well geez, that's not a wildcat offense at all! It's just an offense with Vick at QB... Why, oh why, with all his eternal wisdom, did Andy ALWAYS decide to pull McNabb when he brought Vick in? THAT'S NOT MAKING USE OF THE WEAPONS YOU HAVE ON YOUR TEAM. This is what I envisioned last year with Vick, and what I hope Andy wises up to this year, so that he can realize the full potential that his "wildcat" has:

Line up with Jackson and Maclin (or whoever) split out wide, maybe a TE or two, or a RB in the backfield, but, most importantly, KEEP VICK AND KOLB ON THE FIELD AT THE SAME TIME, neither under center. This way, the defense won't know which QB will get the snap, they won't know if it will be a run, pass, or play action play, and Andy can draw up the most insane trick plays ever. He could have Kolb take a snap, bootleg to the left, option to Vick who could then run the ball or throw a bomb downfield to Jackson, all while the defense is wiping the poop out of their pants because they have lost their minds. The possibilities are endless and Andy can do whatever his little heart desires! The point is, he would be pioneering a new breed of offense with hybrid players in the backfield that could run the ball like an RB and make all the throws like a QB. Sure, you see flashes of it with RB's or WR's and trick plays (like the Steelers under Bill Cowher), but you've never seen it in full force before, because teams have never had the personnel to make it work. But I think the Eagles have a real opportunity here to do something that's both novel and highly effective. The weapons are all there, like sharks with laser-beams attached to their heads - the management just needs to find a way to make it work, and I worry about Andy's ability to do that, as he's already disappointed me enough.

Thoughts?
teezy33
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The Wildcat in Philly

Postby dgan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:25 pm

I hear what you're saying, but the best wildcat team by far last year was Miami. They don't even have a QB on the field. I think they only threw out of that formation once or twice. Everyone knew what was coming (much like White/Slaton in college...you knew what was coming) but still can't stop it.

So what's the diff?

Pretty simple. Miami has a darn fine running offense to begin with. Philly doesn't. To run the wildcat, you have to be a good run blocking team. Vick is (or was) most dangerous when improvising. Designed gadget plays will always be less effective than if he simply scrambles out of the pocket on a designed pass play.

Quite honestly, I think the Vick experiment in Philly just flat out is a bust and is never going to work. You would have to give him the Barry Sanders treatment - give him the ball a bunch of times and he'll hit it big once in a while - and see if he's still got it. You can't give him 5 snaps a game and expect him to have any game rhythm and make anything happen. Personally, I think he has lost enough of a step that he just will never be a threat that keeps defensive coordinators up at night anymore. He's done - rest of his career as a Seneca Wallace-type backup.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk