DeAngelo Williams & Cedric Benson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

DeAngelo Williams & Cedric Benson

Moderator: Football Moderators

DeAngelo Williams & Cedric Benson

Postby xfactor0707 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:22 am

So i pick these two up in my 12 team fantasy draft, and i just wanted to ask you guys what are your opinions on these two Runningbacks?? How do you think these two will fair this season??
xfactor0707
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: DeAngelo Williams & Cedric Benson

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:47 am

I'm not as fond of them as most. D.Will would be top 5 without question if it weren't for Jon Stewart, but I have a feeling that Stewart starts to eat into a bigger percentage of the carries than he has in the past, as the Panthers get ready to make him their RB1 after this season. There's no question he'll produce when on the field, I'm just afraid he may have less opportunities this year than ever before.

As far as Cedric Benson goes, you're going to have to color me skeptical for a couple of reasons. #1, he's never been very good. Leads me to believe he may have been a one-year-wonder on an offense that really had no passing weapons outside of OchoCinco. #2, the Bengals have addressed their lack of targets by signing Terrell Owens, Antonio Bryant and drafting Jermaine Gresham. That's quite a bit of change and I don't think they brought those guys in as decoys. They brought them in to get Palmer back to where he was pre-injury when OchoCinco and Houshmandzadeh were tearing it up. That would mean less rushing attempts for Benson. I also believe that Bernard Scott is a better RB than Benson, but because he's a little more rough around the edges, Benson gets the ball more. Wouldn't surprise me to see Scott with a larger role this year if he can improve his pass protection and prove to the coaches that he's durable.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Goody » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:46 am

I think Dwill has a big year and Jstew is not a threat to his production. People seem to forget that Jstew was not a factor on Dwill production last year and that he was on pace for top 5 numbers before suffering an ankle injury. I have Dwill ranked as the #7 player

Per CBSSportsline:

News: Panthers RB DeAngelo Williams should not see a decrease in carries this season, according to Carolina offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson. When asked by the The Star about speculation the team will open up their offense and pass the ball more in 2010, Davidson replied bluntly, “No.” Williams, who carried the ball 216 times in only 13 games last season, has rushed for 59 yards on 11 carries this preseason.

Analysis: An ankle injury limited Williams to 13 games last season, and opposing defenses limited him to seven touchdowns after scoring 20 in 2009. The biggest reason for his decline was the decline in Carolina's passing game, which enabled teams to concentrate on stopping Williams. While the Panthers didn't do anything to address that part of their offense this offseason, the fact that Williams is healthy is reason enough to believe his productivity will increase. He's still a solid No. 1 Fantasy RB.
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby xfactor0707 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:44 pm

D Will has always been the MAN, its just when he gets hurt and Stewart starts eating into some of his carries is when he sort of disappears behind stewart. And i actually think the passing game improving in cincy will help balance the offense more and help cedric run better since they wont be focusing all on the running game.
xfactor0707
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby xfactor0707 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:29 pm

any other thoughts???
xfactor0707
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:56 pm

williams had most of the carries last night in preseason and did very well. I'm a much bigger fan of him. I don't think Benson has it anymore, im skeptical he ever except for one season.
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby markulous » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:32 pm

D Will is the man. I'd put him in the Top 7 RBs and I'd have no problem drafting him in the late 1st round. Non-PPR I'd put him above SJax and maybe PPR too. Seeing as how I got him in the 3rd round in my 12 man money league, I'd say I got an absolute steal.
markulous
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Azrael » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:49 pm

B3N1ZJAM1N wrote:williams had most of the carries last night in preseason and did very well. I'm a much bigger fan of him. I don't think Benson has it anymore, im skeptical he ever except for one season.

Should be noted that Stewart is injured, not badly just enough that they are resting him for the regular season.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby xfactor0707 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Hopefully D Will explodes this year especially since he's in a contract year. And Benson should do solid i think, he had like 8 carries for 50 yards yesterday.
xfactor0707
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Snatch1414 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:41 pm

I think they're both solid, I just wouldn't reach for Deangelo. I mean he had what? 1100 yds and 7 TDs last year splitting time? I imagine Benson will do about the same. Again, not elite but solid.
Snatch1414
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk