Bush better than Thomas? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bush better than Thomas?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bush better than Thomas?

Postby Azrael » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:42 pm

Reggie Bush is going about 3-4 rounds later than Thomas. The Saints seem to be favoring really neither but just kind of going with the flow. It really appears to me that both will be platooned and neither is really designated at the "goal line" back. Bush has scored on runs of 2 and 9 this pre-season. Thomas has none. I cannot understand why Thomas carries the 3-4 round price tag. I think this guy is getting over drafted. Thoughts?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bush better than Thomas?

Postby dgan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:06 pm

I would tend to agree with that. There really isn't a whole lot of upside to Thomas. The offense is going to spread the ball around and TDs for any one player are going to be limited. I don't see a lot of value if that is his ADP.

That being said, what else is there? If you've gone WR in either of the first two rounds, you have to get your second RB. Thomas is sure to get something, he'll have a few decent games, and it can't be understated that he plays on one of the top 3 offenses in the league. It never hurts to take a key player in a high powered offense.

So my guess is the guys taking him are looking for a solid, albeit unimpressive startable player for their fantasy team. If you're taking him as your 3rd RB, though, I think you could do a lot better and get better value later on.

In my 10 team league, he was the first pick in the 5th - the guy had CJ and Moreno. Possibly Moreno's health was a factor in that he wanted a startable player. The RBs that went over the next 25 picks were Forte, F. Jones, Best, R. Brown, Barber, Jacobs and Bradshaw. Quite honestly, I'd rather have 2/3 of those guys over Thomas because I think they present more upside and were available much cheaper.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Purple1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Hes definately a better value like you said. Bush will probably have about the same if not better production and you can get him 2-3 rounds later.

Overall I'm not a big fan of the 3rd tier RB's at all. I'd much rather be going WR/QB/TE in the late 2nd early third than going for guys like Thomas/Mendy/Mathews/Grant/Greene about the only guy in this group I'd take at that point would be Charles. Other than that depending on how things go I'll be targeting Forte/Bradshaw/Bush/Spiller/Best in the 4th -5th rounds hopefully.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Shea-bird » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:32 am

Thomas is one of the better values in the draft...he makes the most of his touches and should only see more this season with bell gone. he is WAY more of a true RB than bush...also he scored on a nice catch and run this preseason...he will be the guy to get the rock goal line and it doesn't hurt that he can score from anywhere on the field. in 12 team PPR I got him in the 4th round. i thought that was great considering he is going as high as 2
Shea-bird
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:14 pm

Pierre over drafted? He's going somewhere around rounds 3-4 and he's pretty much the feature back. I don't even know why some people still bother with drafting Bush, talk about a guy with no upside. He's going to miss 3-4 games with a knee injury, the Saints know it so his touches are limited every week because of it, and while he has a random huge game there isn't anything to be excited about with him.

He had two games over 60 yards rushing last year, a 64 yard outing and an 83 yard outing. After that his next high was 37 yards and he had 7 games where he didn't even total 20 yards rushing. Even with receiving yards; 1 game over 50 yards, 2 over 40, 1 over 30, and lots of games in the teens.

Talk about no upside? If someone wants to bank on him in a ppr league and hope he racks up a ton of catches any given week sure but he has been getting overdrafted ever since his rookie year and I stay far away from him. In standard scoring leagues I don't even think twice about him, and I'd probably rather have Tim Hightower in a ppr league, not looking at ADP's right now but I would bet money he goes alot later.

Pierre Thomas on the other hand totaled 1100 yards, with 8 TD's, and there is no Mike Bell or Lynell Hamilton around. How is there no upside for him to improve on those totals? At least to 1300 yards and 10 TD's. That in the 3rd or 4th round is being over drafted? I don't agree with that at all.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby GoCardZ » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:20 pm

comparing bush to thomas? bush has never done anything... ever. he has a few good ppr games each year. thomas is the main back on arguably the best team in the league, with much less competition this year. thomas is a flat out steal in the 3rd round of a ppr league
GoCardZ
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby AsianChexMix » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:24 pm

I think Thomas is going to be just a solid RB2 type of player. Nothing sexy but will get the job done. I think Bush is a great RB3/Flex play (especially in PPR). I am targeting both in their respective rounds (3-4 and 5-6).
AsianChexMix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:43 pm

Bush could suprise this season, he sure has a lot to prove, but I think you'll be much happier with your roster if you can put Pierre Thomas name on it instead of Bush. The ideal draft would be to somehow handcuff Thomas with Bush.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dgan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:11 pm

Trust me, I'm not on the Bush hype train. But I also think people are valuing Thomas based on what he did 3 years ago. He played the same amount of games as both Bell and Bush last year and didn't even lead the team in carries. His ypc was over 1.5y better than Bell, and still lost a ton of significant work to him.

The fact is, he has the team concept of rotating players (see: New Orleans WRs) to the point of nearly shedding any fantasy value. Since the reasoning was you can get New Orleans second RB 3 rounds later, is that a better value - I say absolutely. Bush has looked a bit more like a RB this preseason. I'd rather take a different RB in the 3rd/4th and take a flyer on Bush in the 6th/7th if he's still around. (I'm also feeling just fine about passing on both of them.) No one has ever doubted his skills - just his Leinart-esque attitude and work ethic. So I don't think a midround flyer is a waste pick - he could still put something resembling a career together.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:30 pm

Pierre Thomas: 22 Touches, 86 yards from scrimmage, 1 TD
Reggie Bush: 7 Touches, 47 yards from scrimmage, 0 TD.

Hmmm.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk