Arian Foster - where does he rank now? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Arian Foster - where does he rank now?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Arian Foster - where does he rank now?

Postby AsianChexMix » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:07 pm

Anyone did a draft lately to see where he goes? Fantasyfootballcalculator has him pinned in the 6th round. Are people STILL sleeping on this guy? The earliest I've seen him taken was a spot before me which was 4.08 in a 10 team league on that site. I think he is in a better position than Ray Rice because last year there was a fear of vulturing from McGahee and McClain but eventually that become less of a problem. I have HUGE expectations for him and am thinking I need to reach in the early 3rd which isn't what I want to do.
AsianChexMix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:29 pm

7th pick of the 5th round last night in a 12-teamer. Fairly competitive league, re-draft of 6yrs now, going through some growing pains tho with 4 new owners this year. I still think people, even with some good preseason games, are doubting the whole fact that he plays for Houston who still is an iffy team, but also still own Schaub, AJ and Daniels coming back in a high octane passing game.

I have confidence in him in the 3rd-4th, but want to see how far he would fall last night as a primer for my big money league drafting in a couple days.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dunbar2007 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:09 am

So I'm getting the feeling (and have observed in some mock drafts I participated in) there is no way he gets to 48. I have the 1st pick in a 2 QB starting 8 team league.

Thus I pick at 1,16,17,32,33,48,49.

Is 32/33 too early to pull the trigger on Foster over more proven/reliable starters? I've been hoping he will fall, but 5 of 8 guys really do their research so I doubt it. I still might roll the dice at 32...any advice? Thoughts?

I'm wondering how much of this Foster-love is infatuation with the situation and ignoring Kubiak's history of shifting his RB's around all the time and playing the hot hand. 2 fumbles and the 32nd pick is on the bench????

That being said, I love Foster as well but is 32 too early?
dunbar2007
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Matthias » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:04 am

Did a 10-team auction on Sunday where he went for $32, tied for 15th-highest player. There were probably 7 keepers who might have gone for more than him. But even so, 22nd or so overall would mean late 2nd/early 3rd. That probably feels right to me.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:09 am

i have a free league draft tomorrow night(12 team)...and id like to go ryan mathews, javid best, and arian foster. just put all my eggs in new guys

so yes...id assume foster doesnt make it out of the 3rd anymore(and we live in houston, so even worse)
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby default01 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:15 am

Actually, I prefer having a later draft so everyone has a chance to get a better feel of player value and see what happens in the preseason. Then you don't have people wasting an early pick on someone that gets injured like Sidney Rice or getting a steal because there was some uncertainty about the RB situation like Arian Foster. I think it creates a little more level playing field.

As far as Foster's current rank, I'd take him in the mid-late 3rd of a 12 team league. I think I'd rank him after Benson and Charles but ahead of McCoy and Stewart. If you're picking late in the 3rd and there's a another player you want, you might get away with waiting until the 4th for Foster, but I don't think he should last through the 4th.
default01
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby bandrus1 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:42 am

Just traded Vernon davis for brent celek and foster

fingers crossed
bandrus1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TDmaster » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:03 am

Before you get too excited and start talking top 10 stuff right away,i thaught you all would like to take a look at his background.I still like Foster and ,yes,he has a golden opportunity in a nice
offense but he's still on a learning curve.

College career
Foster redshirted his first season as a University of Tennessee Volunteer, sitting behind Gerald Riggs, Jr. and Cedric Houston on the depth chart. He was a three year starter at the running back position for Tennessee.

In 2005, his freshman season, Foster earned the starting job following an injury to Riggs. Foster gained 879 yards in his limited action. He had a commanding performance against Vanderbilt, rushing for 223 yards.

His sophomore season of 2006 saw a slight downturn. Foster was limited for the majority of the season with injuries and missed games against Marshall and Memphis. Foster split time with LaMarcus Coker after returning from injury and ended the season with 322 yards. Foster fumbled against Penn State in the bowl game, but Tennessee managed to stay in the game. Foster broke open a tie game with only 10 minutes remaining. During a sustained Tennessee drive, Foster's fumble was picked up and returned by Penn State 60+ yards for a touchdown. Tennessee trailed from there on out and lost the game.

Arian Foster dives over the pile to score.His junior season of 2007 has seen Foster take over as the main back, with Montario Hardesty coming in a substitute. Foster was a recipient of a left-handed hand off from injured Erik Ainge that was returned for a touchdown, right when Tennessee had pulled within 7 points of Florida in the second half of the game. Foster surpassed the 1000 mark with games against a bowl game opponent and LSU in the SEC Championship Game remaining on the schedule. Foster led the way for the Volunteers on the ground, finishing the 2007 season with 1,193 yards on 245 attempts, and also 39 receptions for 340 yards, with 14 total touchdowns, 12 rushing.

Foster began the season as the starting running back for Tennessee, but in a crowded backfield he shared time with Montario Hardesty and Lennon Creer despite being less than 600 yards shy of being the all time leading rusher in UT history. Foster fumbled on UCLA's 6 yard line in the first game of the season. Despite UCLA throwing 4 interceptions in the first half alone, Tennessee lost the game by 3 points in overtime. Still, Foster averaged over 7 yards per carry in that game. Due Foster's propensity to fumbling at critical times he earned the nickname "Fumblin' Foster" from many Tennessee fans.

In a season mired by offensive line problems, quarterback problems and rumors of coaches on the hot seat, Tennessee struggled all season with the passing and running game. By the end of his senior season, Foster could have been the new all-time leading rusher at the University of Tennessee, surpassing Travis Henry at the top of the list with 3,078 yards throughout his career.
TDmaster
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Azrael » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:08 am

Good thing Houston doesn't have offensive line and quarterback problems.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby petedog9 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:42 am

The hype train on this kid is in high gear.. This was on a Steelers website...

Linkage: http://hosted2.ap.org/PAGRE/0aba5e076cb ... 9f137caf4c

Foster emerges as top back for Texans

CHRIS DUNCANCHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer

HOUSTON (AP) — Houston running back Arian Foster wants to get one of his offensive linemen into the Pro Bowl. He certainly wouldn't turn down an invitation for himself.

Foster has emerged as Houston's top running back at training camp. That's a hopeful sign for a team that ranked 30th in the league in the category last season (92.2 yards per game).

Foster capped an impressive training camp with an 18-carry, 110-yard performance against Dallas on Saturday. He's secured the starting job heading into Thursday's preseason finale against Tampa Bay, a remarkable accomplishment after he went undrafted last spring and spent most of last season on Houston's practice squad.

The 6-foot-1, 227-pound Foster rushed for 2,964 yards in four seasons at Tennessee, second on the school's career list. He could've jumped to the NFL after his junior season, but opted to stay in school, a decision he now regrets...

..."When the opportunity came," he said, "I made the most of it."

Foster said that he's got something to prove to every team that snubbed him in last year's draft. Undrafted free agents rarely make it in the NFL, but Foster is proud to live up to the tattoo on his left biceps that reads, "Against All Odds."

"I've been told that I shouldn't accomplish anything that I have in my life," he said. "I wasn't supposed to go to college, I wasn't supposed to play on varsity in high school. I definitely wasn't supposed to go to the NFL, I definitely wasn't supposed to start.

"I wasn't supposed to make any noise," he said. "Now, it's that I'm not going to play for very long. I like hurdles, man. They define you."
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk