Arian Foster - where does he rank now? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Arian Foster - where does he rank now?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Arian Foster - where does he rank now?

Postby joejlitz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:45 am

TDmaster wrote:Before you get too excited and start talking top 10 stuff right away,i thaught you all would like to take a look at his background.I still like Foster and ,yes,he has a golden opportunity in a nice offense but he's still on a learning curve...

...In a season mired by offensive line problems, quarterback problems and rumors of coaches on the hot seat, Tennessee struggled all season with the passing and running game. By the end of his senior season, Foster could have been the new all-time leading rusher at the University of Tennessee, surpassing Travis Henry at the top of the list with 3,078 yards throughout his career.

Welcome to the Cafe TDmaster! We've got a great community of folks here and thorough posts like yours are certainly appreciated. Stick around, check out our articles and rankings. I think you will like what you see!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:03 pm

TDmaster wrote:Before you get too excited and start talking top 10 stuff right away,i thaught you all would like to take a look at his background.I still like Foster and ,yes,he has a golden opportunity in a nice
offense but he's still on a learning curve.

Things like these definately provide some insight to the player, but really they mean very little once a guy is in the NFL. Look at the College career of Reggie Bush and Darren McFadden, would you take either of those two over Arian Foster because they were 10x the college player? Lots of guys go Undrafted into the NFL because of a lackluster college career and become pro bowlers, and then tons of guys are 1st rd picks due to great college careers and then go on to suck. I just don't see much merit in looking to see what kind of player he was as a sophmore and trying to compare it to what kind of season he'll have now, it doesn't take into consideration how much he's improved or how hard he's worked since then.

Btw welcome to the Cafe ;-D

default01 wrote:Actually, I prefer having a later draft so everyone has a chance to get a better feel of player value and see what happens in the preseason. Then you don't have people wasting an early pick on someone that gets injured like Sidney Rice or getting a steal because there was some uncertainty about the RB situation like Arian Foster. I think it creates a little more level playing field.

Your not wrong about any of those things, I guess it's just a choice of preference. I think it's somewhat unfair to the guys who do their homework early into the process, and read up on player notes and know what the situation is like thus getting better value. Yea the RB situation in Hou was uncertain, but there were some people who liked Arian Foster from the get go and felt he would win the job out even without an injury, it makes it a bit tougher to pull the trigger but you reap bigger awards.

I just prefer the managers who know their players early into the process, actually do some homework on their own, and can make decisions when there still tough and take some thought. It's easy to say you'll take Foster now after his huge game vs Dallas, and a Ben Tate injury. Injuries I agree on, which is why I wouldn't want to do something like that in May, but I like to have a middle ground to at least get some drafting done before pre-season.

There really is no wrong way to do it, but I feel like all the work I put in reading up on players in the off-season is really for nothing if everyone can just sit around and wait to see who explodes in the pre-season or who is generating tons of hype.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cuffs » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:26 pm

Drafted Foster 4.04 in a 12 team draft on 8/28, for what it's worth. Got a few murmurs as if that was too high, but almost everyone knew about him. Didn't want to wait til 5.08 (snake draft) because I feared he'd be gone. He's my RB1, which is risky for sure. Like him better than the other RBs still around.

Don't know for sure, but at least one other guy had him ranked as a 4th rd pick. Yahoo currently has him tabbed around there--not that they know much, but that's a pretty mainstream media site, so Foster's potential value is no secret.

As stated above, not a surprise that an RB underperformed in college on a team with huge QB issues. (Wasn't that Fulmer's last season?) Stack the box in college and almost any RB struggles.

In Houston, with that passing game, there will be room for Foster to run. He won't need as many carries on a pass-first team because he'll have fewer defenders in the box and will be able to catch passes to beat a blitz.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:36 pm

Cuffs wrote:Drafted Foster 4.04 in a 12 team draft on 8/28, for what it's worth. Got a few murmurs as if that was too high, but almost everyone knew about him. Didn't want to wait til 5.08 (snake draft) because I feared he'd be gone. He's my RB1, which is risky for sure. Like him better than the other RBs still around.

Don't know for sure, but at least one other guy had him ranked as a 4th rd pick. Yahoo currently has him tabbed around there--not that they know much, but that's a pretty mainstream media site, so Foster's potential value is no secret.

As stated above, not a surprise that an RB underperformed in college on a team with huge QB issues. (Wasn't that Fulmer's last season?) Stack the box in college and almost any RB struggles.

In Houston, with that passing game, there will be room for Foster to run. He won't need as many carries on a pass-first team because he'll have fewer defenders in the box and will be able to catch passes to beat a blitz.

welcome to teh cafe ;-D

just curious how your team looks. there's been a bunch of talk around here about waiting on taking RBs...which looks like what you did. im interested to see how your RB depth looks
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cuffs » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:57 pm

Pretty lukewarm on my team overall. Have questions about passing on Michael Turner for Andre Johnson, but it's 3 WR league - no flex - so a great WR can be tough to find. Whereas RBs get injured...sometimes easier to get fill ins. Of course, if Foster & Bush do what they could, team looks great.

QB - Brees (2.04)
WR - A.Johnson (1.08)
WR - M.Colston (3.08)
WR - J.Knox (8.04)
RB - A.Foster (4.04)
RB - Michael Bush (6.04)
TE - J.Fenley (5.08)
K - Rackers (16.04)
DST - Giants (15.08)

Bench

RB - Cadillac Williams (7.08)
RB - Bernard Scott (11.04)
WR - Jabar Gaffney (9.08)
WR - Louis Murphy (12.04)
WR - D.Aromashadu (10.04)
TE - J.Carlson (13.08)
QB - Derek Anderson (14.04)
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Goody » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:24 pm

Cuffs wrote:Pretty lukewarm on my team overall. Have questions about passing on Michael Turner for Andre Johnson, but it's 3 WR league - no flex - so a great WR can be tough to find. Whereas RBs get injured...sometimes easier to get fill ins. Of course, if Foster & Bush do what they could, team looks great.

QB - Brees (2.04)
WR - A.Johnson (1.08)
WR - M.Colston (3.08)
WR - J.Knox (8.04)
RB - A.Foster (4.04)
RB - Michael Bush (6.04)
TE - J.Fenley (5.08)
K - Rackers (16.04)
DST - Giants (15.08)

Bench

RB - Cadillac Williams (7.08)
RB - Bernard Scott (11.04)
WR - Jabar Gaffney (9.08)
WR - Louis Murphy (12.04)
WR - D.Aromashadu (10.04)
TE - J.Carlson (13.08)
QB - Derek Anderson (14.04)

Is that a PPR league? I think you made a big mistake passing on Turner at #8. Your RB depth is very weak even though I am very high on Foster. I view foster more as a high upside RB2 and M.Bush has a broken thumb and will miss some time, so that is a hit to your RBs. I'm not a big fan of waiting until round 4 to grab first RB, but at least you grabbed a good one! ;-D
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cuffs » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:51 pm

Not a PPR league. I feel the same way about Turner in hindsight. But he burned me last year and that's tough to forget. And getting Bush and Foster had been my plan all along, so I reached for both. Getting Brees was not in my plans all along. He fell to me at 2.04, for better or worse.

Maybe it's because I'm a Louisville fan, but I can see Bush breaking 1100 total yards and 8-10 TDs this year. He got 589/3 (4.8 ypc) on 120 carries and 17 receptions last year, and that was with a worse OLine and worse passing game than Raiders should have this year. Health allowing, Bush could double his carries and increase his receptions. And if raiders get to the goal line more with Campbell, Bush gets those carries.

Didn't find out about the Bush thumb injury until the day after the draft, though. (Still may not miss week 1.)

(Sorry-had to plead my case.)
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:05 pm

shawngee03 wrote:
just curious how your team looks. there's been a bunch of talk around here about waiting on taking RBs...which looks like what you did. im interested to see how your RB depth looks

I've been doing the same tactic, as far as waiting on a RB, mine ended up like this.

I think I was the 6th pick, and the start to my draft went this way.

1. Andre Johnson
2. Miles Austin.
3. Greg Jennings
4. Jermichael Finley
5. Javhid Best
6. Arian Foster
7. Jay Cutler

After that my Rb depth is Felix Jones, Darren McFadden, Benjarvus Green-Ellis, and Kareem Huggins. It's a 12 team ppr league, and I opted to go this way because I felt I could get both Foster and Best at that point, 2 guys I'm extremely high on, as well as a QB in cutler that late. I don't think my RB pair will be far behind someone who took say Gore and Deangelo Williams in the 1st, but my WR's and TE will have a big advantage. Felix I'm gonna rotate in, and McFadden I took just for trade bait to try and package with another Wr like Dez Bryant for a better back.

I've been going this way as of lately and not taking a RB until RB5, with Foster's value shooting up it may be tricking to do it now, but to be honestly i wouldn't of tried it if it weren't for knowing I could rely on him as a RB1 later on.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Azrael » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:34 pm

I think you are fortunate that best and foster both lasted that long. In one I just did they were both gone in the 4th.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:33 pm

Azrael wrote:I think you are fortunate that best and foster both lasted that long. In one I just did they were both gone in the 4th.

I agree. I see Foster going has high as 26 lately. Best you can still get late fourth, early fifth.
What do these years have in common?
1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, and 1996.
Steve-o
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk