Arian Foster - where does he rank now? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Arian Foster - where does he rank now?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Arian Foster - where does he rank now?

Postby AsianChexMix » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:15 pm

Steve-o wrote:
Azrael wrote:I think you are fortunate that best and foster both lasted that long. In one I just did they were both gone in the 4th.

I agree. I see Foster going has high as 26 lately. Best you can still get late fourth, early fifth.

I am seeing that more as well in mock drafts. I think the earliest taken was 3.02 which got me a bit concerned as I am in that spot. I think the 4th round is where I expect to see him go. I do agree that Best is being drafted as a #2 RB and can last through the 4th round.
AsianChexMix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JoshKnows46 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:17 am

had my draft today, best went 20th, and foster went 36th...foster was takin one spot before me, so i missed both..... cj piller stuck around till the mid-7th, and i got him.
I only live by 3 rules: Eat Twat, Smoke Pot, and Smile Alot
JoshKnows46
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy Expert

Postby Habslive » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:58 am

I'm probably going to take Foster at 31 in my 12 team league. How do you think he compares with Jamaal Charles? I think I'll still rank Charles a notch ahead of Foster, but I want one of those two with my 31st pick.
Habslive
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Goody » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:23 am

Habslive wrote:I'm probably going to take Foster at 31 in my 12 team league. How do you think he compares with Jamaal Charles? I think I'll still rank Charles a notch ahead of Foster, but I want one of those two with my 31st pick.

Personally, I rank Foster ahead of Charles. With the amount of touches T.Jones is going to get in KC, I would much rather have foster who doesn't have any competition, will get GL touches and has a knack for the endzone, is a good receiver out of the backfield, and is on a more explosive offense which will give him more opportunities to score. I like Charles talent and his upside, I just think Foster is in a much better situation. ;-D
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cuffs » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:54 am

^Agree with that. I don't understand the love affair with Charles. He's a great talent, but IMO too many question marks for a 2nd/high 3rd round pick. Bad OLine + mediocre passing game + competing with Thomas Jones creates some uncertainty to me.

Foster has none of those issues. Injury or fumbles are Foster's biggest concerns, and his primary competition--Slaton--has those same concerns to a greater degree.

If Thomas Jones wasn't there, it would be a closer call.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Postby Maris09 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:51 pm

Cuffs wrote:^Agree with that. I don't understand the love affair with Charles. He's a great talent, but IMO too many question marks for a 2nd/high 3rd round pick. Bad OLine + mediocre passing game + competing with Thomas Jones creates some uncertainty to me.

Foster has none of those issues. Injury or fumbles are Foster's biggest concerns, and his primary competition--Slaton--has those same concerns to a greater degree.

If Thomas Jones wasn't there, it would be a closer call.

I agree with the bad OLine part, but the passing game there looks to be on the rise.
Also they had a bad OLine last year, and Charles seemed to do just fine.

One thing I find important is that we've seen Charles do it already (even under those poor conditions). We haven't seen Foster do it yet.
I agree they're very close in draft rank though.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cuffs » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:12 pm

I don't dispute any of what you said, but when Charles did all that last year, LJ was suspended or in the doghouse, and the only backup Charles had was Kolby Smith. This year he's competing with Thomas Jones, who ran for 1400/14TDs last year--far better comp than LJ or Kolby Smith.

No one believes Haley when he continues to name Jones the starter and refuses to commit to Charles. But even if he goes with Charles, how are those carries divided? If KC runs the ball 25 times, it seems like Jones at least gets 10 to Charles' 15. Charles ended the season strong, but that was getting 20 or more carries in those final 4 games. At 4-5 ypc, that could still be 20 yards off his rushing average, plus whatever goal line carries Jones might steal. IMO, that's the difference between a 2nd round RB pick and a 4th-6th round RB pick.

People talk about how much Charles will be used in the passing game, but from week 10 on, when he was the primary back, he averaged 2.3 receptions per game. Only one game did he catch more than 4 passes.

Before 2009 (when he had only 10 receptions), Jones averaged 35 receptions for 225 yards in his 8 years in the league. It's not like Jones can't catch and Charles is the only RB for KC who will have balls thrown his way.

Not arguing that Charles is in for a bad season. The concensus is he'll be great. But he has legit competition in the backfield, and Foster doesn't (Slaton is not nearly the threat Jones is). I feel like people are buying Charles pretty high for all those reasons.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Postby dunbar2007 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Foster went 36th in my draft last night and I took Charles at 32 and Steve Smith (CAR) at 33 (8 team, 2 starting QB league).

I definitely used all of my time on the clock going back and forth between Charles and Foster, and then Smith and Foster (.5 PPR). I mention all this due to the discussion. I think Foster has tremendous upside like everyone is saying, but Charles does as well so I don't think you can really go wrong.

Honestly, what I really regret is not snagging Foster over Steve Smith (CAR). Not that it matters, but that is the only pick in my draft I regret and wish I'd just waited to get my WR#2.
dunbar2007
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 2ksports » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:34 pm

Yeah you could have easily gotten someone later at WR for WR2. My strategy was to draft 1 stud WR, since I play 2 WR 1 WR/RB flex, and then wait for a WR late like laurent robinson / mike williams / nate burleson / santonio. I also made sure to snatch Vincent Jackson in case he comes back.

Good RBs are way more scarce later on this year imo but WRs are pretty abundant.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Steve-o wrote:
Azrael wrote:I think you are fortunate that best and foster both lasted that long. In one I just did they were both gone in the 4th.

I agree. I see Foster going has high as 26 lately. Best you can still get late fourth, early fifth.

My draft was before Tate was injured though, which obviously had something to do with it. I don't expect him to slide into the 5th round at this point.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer