Some tips for drafting with new settings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Some tips for drafting with new settings

Moderator: Football Moderators

Some tips for drafting with new settings

Postby garretterik » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:19 am

AHHH Fantasy Football is here again! ;-D One of my leagues is changing its usual settings this year to "mix it up a bit." The two big changes are PPR and adding return yards into scoring. (1 pt / 50yds with 2 pt bonus at 150yds and return TD = 6pts).
The only other non-traditional setting is 6pts / passing TDs.

I know that 6pts vs 4pts for passing TDs makes QBs more valuable so I try to target a top tier QB early in this league.

I can follow a PPR ranking guide. I know PPR makes WRs and pass catching RBs (like MJD) more valuable. Any general strategy tips for drafting in a PPR league?

My main concern is about the return yard pts. 1 pt for 50yds isn't that much. I am thinking to basically ignore the stat and just slightly bump up WRs that do punt or kick return like Desean Jackson. Is there any place to find a list of WRs who are likely to return kicks?

Comments?
garretterik
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 29)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Some tips for drafting with new settings

Postby default01 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:00 am

I've never played in a PPR league so I can't help you out there, but my league has done return yards = pass yards for the last couple years. It only really benefits players that are also involved in the main offense especially since you're only at 1 pt / 50 yds.

I found this a little while ago. The author even put potential targets in bold.

http://sourcedmock.blogspot.com/2010/08/2010-nfl-kickoff-returners-kr-and-punt.html

Kick returners are going to be more valuable than punt returners. I think the guys I would bump up and target are Percy Harvin, Dez Bryant, Darren Sproles, and Joshua Cribbs. Harvin may go a little earlier than you want to take him but the other 3 should be great late round value.

Two guys I'd watch that aren't in bold on the list are Jacoby Jones and Danny Amendola. Jones is listed as doing punt returns and could be the #2 WR in Houston. Amendola was 2nd in return yards last year and was just given the #2 WR position in St. Louis. Obviously Jones's value will depend more on his WR role while Amendola should have good value in return yards and just needs a little bump from receiving yards to make him useable.
default01
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:15 pm

- I don't think 6 vs. 4 points for passing TDs makes that much difference.
- Obviously in PPR, the rank of RBs gets changed a bit, where some guys who catch a lot of passes get a bump in value (and vice versa). Simply add 1 PPR to each RB in your projections and resort.
- The effect of PPR is that MANY more WRs become worth owning, with a few more RBs coming into play.
- PPR has two effects on WR: on the one hand, top WRs are more valuable, but on the flip side WR becomes a lot deeper so you can wait a bit for your WR3.
- For RBs, there are a TON of guys in the 3-6 round range that you can go after (McCoy, Thomas, Forte, Best, Foster, etc.) that will give you 40+ receptions.
- For WRs, there are plenty of "boring" guys like Ward and Mason that will get you 75-80 catches for a 7th round price tag.
- I wouldn't factor return yards at all with your settings, except maybe as a tiebreaker if deciding between two guys.

My advice would be to make sure you go WR-RB or WR-WR in the first two rounds, try to get your RB2 within the first 4-5 rounds, and load up on WR in the 7-10 round range.
Bloody Sox
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:26 pm

draft wes welker
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Lucky7 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:33 pm

garretterik wrote:I know that 6pts vs 4pts for passing TDs makes QBs more valuable so I try to target a top tier QB early in this league.

[/i]

I don't think that 6pts v. 4pts makes QBs more valuable in reality, but perhaps in perception. I agree of course that 6pts means QBs score more points, but the relative value of all QBs remains pretty much unchanged, because all QBs are scoring more points in a TD heavy league. This means that the relative difference between the #1 QB and the #10 QB remains fairly consistent regardless of whether QBs get 4 or 6 points for passing TDs. Whether a top QB will score more points than a top RB is not really relevant. A more relevant question is whether, for example, the #1 QB + #10 RB will score more than the #1 RB + # 10QB in either format. One could even argue that you should look at the #1QB + #20RB (in a 10 team league) v. #1RB + #10 QB.
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Return to Football Talk