Kareem Huggins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kareem Huggins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kareem Huggins

Postby SetYourselfFree » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:57 am

Howdy sirs and ma'ams, I'm a longtime resident of RotoKingdom (SethBeno) but the site is lacking for activity at the moment so I thought I'd try this board out.

Anyways...after leading the C.J. Spiller and Arian Foster hype-trains for a month or so until their values greatly inflated, I've focused all my efforts on hyping Kareem Huggins. I really think this guy is special and should have fantasy value even if Caddy stays healthy this year. What are your thoughts on him?
SetYourselfFree
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Kareem Huggins

Postby Goody » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:03 am

Welcome to the cafe! ;-D

I am also wondering the same about Kareem Huggins. He has been mentioned many times and I like the speed and explosiveness I have seen from him this preseason. I am wondering what value he may hold as he sits behind a fragile Caddy. I have Leon Washington on my roster, but am thinking about cutting him for Kareem. Could this guy be another Jamaal Charles type player this season?
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SetYourselfFree » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:24 am

He's somewhat of a scatback with 4.28 speed but he's not too small to take it up the middle and adds a dimension of explosiveness the Bucs haven't had in their backfield since Warrick Dunn in his prime. Obviously they like him since they cut Ward. It remains to be seen just how much he'll be used but I suspect he could end up splitting even with Caddy eventually and would likely take over the feature role if Caddy gets hurt.

Right now I'd have trouble dropping Washington for him because he's another guy with a decent amount of upside but I'd try to make room.
SetYourselfFree
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby biju » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:05 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic on him right now. He's on a team that's under the radar, has a fragile RB working directly in front of him and an offense that's starting to shape up nicely. He feels kind of like a mix of Chris Johnson and Maurice Jones-Drew, although I believe he needs to work on his receiving skills.

He could also be the next Darren Sproles, where he's got value but will never be seen as a true #1 if Caddy goes down. However the release of Ward seems to make me think the coaching staff believes in him enough to at least try it.

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:57 pm

I think he needs to be owned in every league, and format, standard and ppr, redraft and dynasty. Now I'm not knocking Caddy because he comes with good value himself with a good workload, but you've got to question if he can carry the load for 16 games without injury, which could easily happen in weeks 1-4 and be longterm.

Huggins just easily strikes me as the guy who will be the WW pick-up of the year in leagues where he's being overlooked, so why not go ahead and roster him and be ahead of the curve. He'll stay on my bench without a doubt, he's gonna at least split some of the work and get at least 100 carries this season, but the upside is there for him to end up a feature back.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby SetYourselfFree » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:21 pm

The only thing about Huggins' situation that mildly concerns me is that when commenting on Derrick Ward's release, Morris first mentioned Earnest Graham picking up more carries before calling Huggins a "sparkplug." This might just be giving Graham some credit whilekeeping Huggins a little hungry, though I don't think he needs it...judging from his own comments and those from his coaches, people just don't get much more motivated than him.
SetYourselfFree
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:37 pm

I like what I'm hearing about Huggins, but one has to imagine this is Caddy's backfield to lose. He is a good bet to get injured, though, so Huggins makes a good later draft stash. I could see him getting cut in a lot of leagues in the first few weeks, though, as he might not make an impact for awhile when other free agents are exploding. I like the Jamaal Charles comparison - Huggins might not be fantasy relevant till at least mid-season.
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SetYourselfFree » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:40 pm

With his Frankenstein knees, it only makes sense for Caddy to have someone splitting duties with him to lessen the wear and reduce injury risk...not to mention getting Huggins in the game gives them a totally different look than plodding along with Caddy. So it makes sense for Huggins to have a role whether or not Caddy is healthy but it comes down to the coaches realizing that. With the cut of Ward it at least seems they're heading in that direction if they have't fully realized all of the benefits of reducing Caddy's usage and giving Huggins a prominent role.
SetYourselfFree
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby RBManiac » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:50 pm

I had hugggins on my radar last year till he got injured, He is back now..i picked him up in July, my draft was so early this year for several reasons. He was my last pick in hte draft, and everyone was like who? The thing i really like about huggins is the coaches praise for his strong work ethic and mental additude. They absolutly love the guy...he gets along with everyone on the team and has been the hardest worker. Hes giving his NFL career his all. Huggins is probly the hungriest back in the league for a starting role, was poor growing up. He want money too!
RBManiac
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Matthias » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:38 pm

Huggins is the buzz on a couple of websites. I think he's a good guy to have you on your squad. Not only is Caddy fragile but Huggy is a good story (undrafted, worked out constantly, loaned money from his brother to send videos of himself to NFL teams) that you'll feel good cheering for if he gets the opportunity. And as hungry as he seems to be he will get some opportunity; the only question is how much.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk