Kareem Huggins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kareem Huggins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Kareem Huggins

Postby Cuffs » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:09 pm

Earnest Graham has gotten 2 touches (only 1 carry) in the preseason that I can tell. That doesn't sound like the way the staff would treat a guy they're expecting to share the load with Williams.

I picked Huggins up on the WW because I drafted C.Williams. Don't generally do a handcuff, but if there's ever a time to do one, it's with Williams/Huggins, IMO. (Unless Shonn Greene/LT somehow counts). Even splitting with Ward last year, on a worse offensive team than the Bucs should be this year, Williams was still a serviceable RB2/3. I won the league last year with Caddy as my RB 2 after Kevin Smith went down.

Huggins is worth a flier if you have more than 3 bench spots.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guru13 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:36 pm

SetYourselfFree wrote:With his Frankenstein knees, it only makes sense for Caddy to have someone splitting duties with him to lessen the wear and reduce injury risk...not to mention getting Huggins in the game gives them a totally different look than plodding along with Caddy. So it makes sense for Huggins to have a role whether or not Caddy is healthy but it comes down to the coaches realizing that. With the cut of Ward it at least seems they're heading in that direction if they have't fully realized all of the benefits of reducing Caddy's usage and giving Huggins a prominent role.

I don't know if this is the approach they'll take, but I hope it is. I think limiting caddy's carries just a little bit will help tremendously - particularly later in the season. Same reason I don't think LT really hurts Shonn Greene's value that much, if at all. It would kill a rb to get a vast majority of the rushes the jets will have this year. But that's a different conversation.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Cuffs » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:56 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
SetYourselfFree wrote:With his Frankenstein knees, it only makes sense for Caddy to have someone splitting duties with him to lessen the wear and reduce injury risk...not to mention getting Huggins in the game gives them a totally different look than plodding along with Caddy. So it makes sense for Huggins to have a role whether or not Caddy is healthy but it comes down to the coaches realizing that. With the cut of Ward it at least seems they're heading in that direction if they have't fully realized all of the benefits of reducing Caddy's usage and giving Huggins a prominent role.

I don't know if this is the approach they'll take, but I hope it is. I think limiting caddy's carries just a little bit will help tremendously - particularly later in the season. Same reason I don't think LT really hurts Shonn Greene's value that much, if at all. It would kill a rb to get a vast majority of the rushes the jets will have this year. But that's a different conversation.

But the big difference there is the jets ran the ball over 600 times last season, and the Bucs ran it only 400. So the LT/Shonn Greene scenario is different becuase you could theoretically have 2 backs on a team with a great OL, and the "backup" still getting 225+ carries.

The Jets "backup" could get as many carries as the Bucs "starter", really. While Huggins and LT might get the same percentage of carries for their team (say, 65%/35% split), that's 210 carries for LT but only 140 carries for Huggins. LT's value is pretty much guaranteed this year.

IMO, the only way Huggins has real fantasy value is (1) Caddy gets injured; or (2) Huggins simply beats Caddy out for the starting gig. Either one is possible, though.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SetYourselfFree » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:51 am

Cuffs wrote:IMO, the only way Huggins has real fantasy value is (1) Caddy gets injured; or (2) Huggins simply beats Caddy out for the starting gig. Either one is possible, though.

I think it depends on the size and scoring of the league. For instance, my main league has 20 teams and we start 2 RB with a W/T and W/R spot and get points for carries (along with receptions). So Huggins certainly has value to me as a flex option during bye weeks and as an injury replacement. I think he could be valuable in that role in shallower leagues too even if Caddy stays healthy. It will just depend on how often the Bucs decide to use him.
SetYourselfFree
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cuffs » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:13 pm

You're right. I was thinking of a more traditional 12 team 2 RB/3 WR (no flex) league. I imagine when you get into 20 teams and all that, a guy who averages 40 yards a game can be valuable.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk