Manning and Bradys' replacements? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Manning and Bradys' replacements?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Manning and Bradys' replacements?

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:36 pm

When do organizations such as Indy and New England draft the QB of the future?

Peyton Manning age 34
Tom Brady age 33

Both organizations above are seen as some of the tops among the NFL, both are led by franchise QBs whose stories are different, but both draft by the team they have played for their whole career.

With that in mind lets think back a few years to the 2005 NFL Draft where the Green Bay Packers (another top NFL orangization) selected QB Aaron Rodgers at 24th overall. Clearly the Rodgers experiement worked out after sitting 3 seasons in the wings watching and learning when he took over the reigns he performed, and very well.

At that time Farve was 35. Similar to Farve thats the age Manning will be next off-season, also similar is both have never missed a game.

While Brady has missed games, I think his injuries and the talk of him leaving this offseason (no matter how far off-base it may actually be) may accelrate his "football age" to around where Manning is in terms of his teams feeling the need of draft a QB of the future.

This coming draft (2011) is being compared to the 2004 NFL Draft with so many QB prospects coming out (Similar to how this year was a TE year). We will see many teams grab QBs, many who need them and some who don't.

Which I think leads to a saturated market of teams looking for QBs in the 2012 draft, similar to the 2005 draft when GB took Aarron Rodgers who some believed was a top prospect and fell farther than he would in normal drafts. Could happen again, and this time The Colts and Patroits could capitilize getting the premium QB talent for a lesser price.

Thoughts?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Manning and Bradys' replacements?

Postby dgan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:40 pm

I think most teams with stud QBs will stick with late round QB choices until they HAVE to make a move. They will hold the hope they are developing the next Tom Brady from their 6th round choice.

Since QBs can play into their 40s these days with all the rules protecting them, I don't think there is a sense of urgency yet for Manning or Brady. Plus, you don't want to put your organization through what the Packers and Eagles have recently gone through. It is really hard and a lot of people's jobs are resting on that one guy's ability to produce.

Not to mention, the list of guys succeeding like Rodgers has is about 2 names long - Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers. Most guys that follow a big time QB are going to suffer from playing in his shadow.

In my NFL team that I'm going to buy some day (looking for Cafe partners to pitch into my buying group :-D ) would handle this situation by trading for a QB when it became necessary. Someone that could manage the team and get by while we transition into finding a franchise QB. I think an organization is far better suited to handle a few bad years at QB after their stud retires rather than going through highly drafted QBs that bust or hitting on a good QB and having to dispense of your HoFer.

I'm sure there is more than one "right" way to do it, but that would be my philosophy.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk