Vernon Davis Straightens out Crabtree - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vernon Davis Straightens out Crabtree

Moderator: Football Moderators

Vernon Davis Straightens out Crabtree

Postby joejlitz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:23 am

SAN FRANCISCO -- Vernon Davis' frustrations with Michael Crabtree finally came to a boiling point, and the 49ers' Pro Bowl tight end let his teammate have it -- and for everyone to see.

"It was a matter of being a team captain," Davis said after Thursday night's 17-14 preseason victory over the San Diego Chargers. "All I was doing was taking care of my responsibilities and doing my job.

"I was just expressing the way I felt at the moment. I just pretty much said whatever was on my mind at the time. Just pretty much giving him a check, getting his head leveled and just getting on him about some things he did in the past."

Singletary and the two players headed to the locker room after the incident to chat for about 10 minutes. Each returned to practice, but separately. Neither Crabtree nor Davis played at all this preseason for the 49ers because of injuries.

Davis said his issue with Crabtree was football-related, but it wasn't about the second-year wideout missing the preseason schedule. Crabtree left without facing reporters after the game and hasn't spoken formally since the start of training camp Aug. 1. He has long had the reputation of being a diva.

"I hope he got the message," Davis said. "I think he did, I strongly believe, but if anything I see that I feel is wrong or that needs to be addressed, then I'm going to say something.

"I don't really have any frustrations with Michael. He just did some things during that time that I didn't like. That's all. ... It was basically taking ownership."

Crabtree, the 49ers' 10th overall pick in the 2009 draft, finally ended a 71-day contract stalemate last October. By Oct. 25 at Houston, he had cracked the starting lineup.

Davis said he no longer has a problem with Crabtree. The 49ers are counting on both men to be two of their biggest offensive stars this season.

"We're great," Davis said. "I love him like a brother. I'll take him to Smoothie King tomorrow.

Rest of Article: Davis defends decision to criticize 49ers teammate Crabtree

How about this? The guy who was called out, on live TV, in front of the world by his coach Mike Singletary has stepped up into a real leadership role. If you missed Singletary's interview, where he rants on Davis, watch it. It's great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB5-yJM3vJc

So now, Davis is a team Captain. He saw Crabtree doing something (whatever it was, we don't really know) and called him out on it. He's taking care of business. But what I really love about this is his quotes. They give the impression that he's been in the leadership business for a long time. Basically he is saying, "Yeah - he screwed up and I told him. If he didn't get the message I'll tell him again. But it's nothing personal and I love him like a brother. We're gonna go get ice cream put this past us and move on to being the best team that we can be."

That's not exactly his words, but the spirit is there and I love it. Good for you VD! ;-D

You're my new favorite TE!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Vernon Davis Straightens out Crabtree

Postby dgan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:09 pm

One thing about great leaders - they don't waste their energy on guys that are meaningless. Clearly, Singletary saw something in VD and recognized that he needed to realize his potential. That there was something of value in his character that it was worth breaking into his psyche.

I'd be surprised if VD picked up that leadership skill so fast, but whether or not his rant was well-placed, at least his postgame comments regarding it were perfect. I really like this.

Why did Singletary have to wait so long for a coaching job again?
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Re: Vernon Davis Straightens out Crabtree

Postby justinj312 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:51 am

I think we will see some more Diva from Crabtree before season's end. Where there is smoke there is fire.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk