Yahoo autodraft pre-ranks... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Yahoo autodraft pre-ranks...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yahoo autodraft pre-ranks...

Postby Triplec223 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:43 am

So there's a pretty good chance that I won't be able to make my team's draft on Monday, so I'm going to pre-rank my players and hope the autodraft route works out. My question is to those of you who have customized your Yahoo pre-ranks before:

Does autodraft still take into consideration position needs when you rank guys? For example, if I rank Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers back-to-back, is autodraft going to pick both of those if they're available, regardless of whether or not I already have a QB?

And if I already have 2 WR and only 1 RB and have Dwayne Bowe ranked ahead of say Marion Barber, is it still going to draft Barber since I need another running back? I would rather have Bowe in that situation. It just gives me a headache thinking about it.
Triplec223
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yahoo autodraft pre-ranks...

Postby Payne Dailey » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:14 am

Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yahoo autodraft pre-ranks...

Postby swyck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 am

Triplec223 wrote:So there's a pretty good chance that I won't be able to make my team's draft on Monday, so I'm going to pre-rank my players and hope the autodraft route works out. My question is to those of you who have customized your Yahoo pre-ranks before:

Does autodraft still take into consideration position needs when you rank guys? For example, if I rank Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers back-to-back, is autodraft going to pick both of those if they're available, regardless of whether or not I already have a QB?

And if I already have 2 WR and only 1 RB and have Dwayne Bowe ranked ahead of say Marion Barber, is it still going to draft Barber since I need another running back? I would rather have Bowe in that situation. It just gives me a headache thinking about it.

The linked post is good one to read if your doing this. To summarize your two questions:
A) It will fill out your roster first then move to the bench. So it will take Brees, but not Rodgers.
B) If you have a starting roster of 2WR and 2RB it will take Barber since WR starters are filled. If you have a starting roster of 3WR and 2RB it will take Bowe since both slots are available and Bowe is ranked higher. Flex is filled after the regular slots. What this means it you should create tiers of players within your rankings, e.g. RB1, WR1, RB2, WR2, QB1, RB3, TE1, etc.

It's very possible to get a good draft out of an autodraft as long as you do a decent job with ranking and ordering of tiers. Make sure you exclude people you don't want at any price and have your sleepers moved up a bit in their own tiers.
swyck
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk