Patrick Crayton Traded - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Patrick Crayton Traded

Moderator: Football Moderators

Patrick Crayton Traded

Postby itzyaboyrd » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Patrick Crayton was just traded to the San Diego Chargers.. What does this do to his Fantasy value??
itzyaboyrd
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Patrick Crayton Traded

Postby bisklimpkit » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:11 pm

I think this trade ups his value a little, but still nothing more than a bye-week replacement in a 12-team plus league that plays 3 WR per week.
bisklimpkit
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Golden Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 140)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shiner » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:36 pm

I think this increases his value quite a bit. He will likely start alongside Malcom Floyd with Jackson suspended. Craytpn is the kind of receiver that always seemed to get open but,did not get the opportunity. He has a slight case of butterfingeritis but,could be a valuable late round grab.
Shiner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bostonsoxandy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:05 pm

itzyaboyrd wrote:Patrick Crayton was just traded to the San Diego Chargers.. What does this do to his Fantasy value??

Best news EVAR for a Philip Rivers ownder...snagged him in 6th round in my main PPR league!
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 011472 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:45 pm

What about Naanee? Does this kill his value?
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:31 pm

The Chargers had been eyeing Crayton, a 2004 seventh-round pick who has 16 touchdown catches since 2007. Once matriculated into the offense, he could fit in as the No.2 wideout opposite Malcom Floyd . Crayton’s arrival also means Buster Davis might be able to more fully concentrate on being a receiver, as Crayton could move into the role of second punt returner behind Darren Sproles. Crayton had returns of 73 and 82 yards for touchdowns last season.

“With the receiving corps the Cowboys have and the addition of first-round pick Dez Bryant, we felt there might be a possibility Patrick would be available,” Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said. “We explored that we are happy it worked out. Patrick is a very good veteran receiver who also brings his punt return experience and production with him. We feel his familiarity with or system will get him up to speed quickly and contributing right away.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/sep/03/chargers-add-receiver-look-do-more/

It sounds like they've had their eye on Crayton since the draft and have been just waiting for the price to go down. I think that puts Naanee out of the picture as far as fantasy goes (which sucks - he was my last round pick). Buster Davis is the clear slot guy, so as soon as Crayton picks up the offense, I think he's the clear #2. Look at Chambers last year going to KC - WRs can pick up an offense fairly quickly. Probably especially a simple WR offense like San Diego.

I think Crayton has some value, but it may take him a few weeks to really start getting some looks from Rivers. In smaller/average size leagues, I'd hope to get him off the waiver wire in a few weeks rather than scooping him up now. There is also the chance he fizzles out like he did in Dallas so I hate to lose a player and a roster spot if nothing happens.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bagobonez » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:34 pm

As a Cowboys fan I've seen Crayton play his whole career. He's got a very sure set of hands (minus that playoff drop against the Giants) and he knows how to get open underneath. He's excellent on 3rd downs out of the slot. He's not very fast, he's not very big, but he's still a solid vet. I hate to see him leave Dallas for a mere 7th rounder, it's a good pickup by the Chargers.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bostonsoxandy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:23 pm

itzyaboyrd wrote:Patrick Crayton was just traded to the San Diego Chargers.. What does this do to his Fantasy value??

in summary and in order of importance:

Philip Rivers value goes up, back to unquestioned Top-7
Naanee's value takes a considerable dip to not worth owning
Crayton's value rises slightly but not worth a roster slot in most leagues
Floydd's value....is unchanged
Gates' value is unchanged as well
Ryan Matthews value is unchanged as well
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Purple1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:24 pm

Looks like the final nail in VJAX's coffin.

I think if your looking at or have Crayton on your team your in serious trouble.

I don't really think it will effect Gates, Floyd or Nanee all that much seems like a move just to add a little depth.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby justinj312 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:06 am

Overreacting a bit are we? This is P Crayton not Jerry Rice. He's just a depth WR that will play in 3 WR sets.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk