Draft strategy for 18 team PPR League? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft strategy for 18 team PPR League?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft strategy for 18 team PPR League?

Postby funkydj » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:51 pm

For some reason, the league I have been in for years decided to expand to 18 teams for our PPR league. Pretty standard roster to start each game: 1QB, 2WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, DEF and K. But the dilemma is going to be for the bye weeks regarding QB, Defense and Kicker. When drafting do you think I should hustle up and draft two decent QBS in the early to mid rounds (since they are going to be in short supply) and when and do I go for the second Def and Kicker. Or should I just punt the bye week when my Def is resting.

Thanks for any help.

Joe
funkydj
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft strategy for 18 team PPR League?

Postby dgan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:00 pm

I think you should get out of that nonsense. 18 teams is ridiculous - anything over 14 should go into two conferences with seperate player pools, IMO. The risk of collusion in this type of league is so great, I'd refuse to play - unless it is against the rules, you'll have all kinds of defenses and kickers changing hands in trades, and you're never going to know what deals were made under the table.

That being said, Bye weeks as a whole are going to be a dud. There just isn't a whole lot you'll be able to do about it anyway, so I'd just screw it. Hopefully, other owners will be wasting picks on 2nd QBs, Ks, and DEF, and you can load up on a ton of those mid-late round prospects. I would seriously consider trying to get my QB, DEF, and K on the same bye week and essentially forfeit that week.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby funkydj » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:15 pm

DGan. thanks for the advice. It's a family league and I think I will just use that as a backup league and test your draft strategy. I will join a serious league with reasonable rules later this week.

Preciate the help.

Joe
funkydj
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby dgan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:19 pm

funkydj wrote:DGan. thanks for the advice. It's a family league and I think I will just use that as a backup league and test your draft strategy. I will join a serious league with reasonable rules later this week.

Preciate the help.

Joe

LOL! Even worse! Family leagues are a cesspool of collusion! Just don't take it seriously and you'll do just fine. ;-D
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:39 pm

One thing you can do is propose that the league adopt a 20 yeard per pt for kick reutrn yards. This opens up a new pool of players who can have an impact.
As for collusion, its a family league so you already know who the cheaters are lol. A sneaky strategy might be to draft one of the top QBs and should you fill your starter positions well, draft a couple more quality QBs. like slockpiling RBs, you can fleece someone later in the year.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:13 pm

Go for riskier players rather than safe. If you can wait an extra round (only an extra round since it's 18 teams lol) and grab a guy who you think has high upside do it instead of going for that safer player. If he pans out it will help your team a ton. It seems like in this size of a league you need those Austins and Charles' of last year to really win.
sadlyajetsfan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby spodog » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:11 pm

dgan wrote:LOL! Even worse! Family leagues are a cesspool of collusion! Just don't take it seriously and you'll do just fine. ;-D

My vote goes to dgan for cynic of the year.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:33 pm

spodog wrote:
dgan wrote:LOL! Even worse! Family leagues are a cesspool of collusion! Just don't take it seriously and you'll do just fine. ;-D

My vote goes to dgan for cynic of the year.

Yes! A 3-peat! :-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Football Talk