Will the Real Steve Smith Please Stand Up? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will the Real Steve Smith Please Stand Up?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Will the Real Steve Smith Please Stand Up?

Postby u_fig_eater » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:57 am

Is Steve Smith (NYG) a rising star? Or is he a one-year wonder?

Projections from experts, shown below, are sending mixed messages.
ESPN: 98 receptions, 1188 yards, 6 TDs.
fftoolbox: 95+ receptions, 1100+ yards, 7+ TDs
CBS: 96 receptions, 1135 yards, 6 TDs
fftoday: 83 receptions, 1,089 yards, 6 TDs.
Yahoo: 90 receptions, 968 yards, 4 TDs.

Everyone is projecting a decline. Awarding 1 point per 10 yards and 6 points per TD, the highest projection is 155 points (ESPN), and the lowest is 121 (Yahoo). This is a 28% discrepancy.

In 2009, Steve Smith set the New York Giants' franchise record for receptions (107) while collecting 1220 yards and 7 TDs. The Giants are redeploying all of their skill position players (and, as far as I can tell, their entire O-line) for the 2010 season. Smith appears poised for another great year. Why is there such a spread in the projections, and why is everyone predicting a down year?
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Will the Real Steve Smith Please Stand Up?

Postby liono123 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:02 am

I think it's a two-part answer, at least as far as projections go:

1. The emergence of Hakeem Nicks. Towards the end of last season, Nicks showed that he's the most talented receiver in that bunch. Eli loves the guy. 16.8 yards per catch will make any QB take notice.

2. Transition to a more run-oriented offense. That's the idea, at least, but I don't buy it. With Jacobs being as much of a bum as he is, I still see Eli throwing a whole lot.

I think Smith will have a fine year, a slight downturn from last year, but not too much. Nicks is going to do very nicely.
12 Team $ (PPR + Return Yardage):
    QB: Tom Brady, Andy Dalton
    RB: Charles, Lynch, Martin, Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Rashad jennings, Joe McKnight, Leon Washington
    WR/TE: Antonio Brown, Brandon Lloyd, Randall Cobb, Ted Ginn
    K: Bryant
    DST: Bills
liono123
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 4)

Re: Will the Real Steve Smith Please Stand Up?

Postby bagobonez » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:08 am

liono123 wrote:I think it's a two-part answer, at least as far as projections go:

1. The emergence of Hakeem Nicks. Towards the end of last season, Nicks showed that he's the most talented receiver in that bunch. Eli loves the guy. 16.8 yards per catch will make any QB take notice.

2. Transition to a more run-oriented offense. That's the idea, at least, but I don't buy it. With Jacobs being as much of a bum as he is, I still see Eli throwing a whole lot.

I think Smith will have a fine year, a slight downturn from last year, but not too much. Nicks is going to do very nicely.

This. Though I still think Smith will lead the team in receptions and yardage, Nicks is going to be the big play WR.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk