Calvin vs. B Marsh - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Calvin vs. B Marsh

Moderator: Football Moderators

Calvin vs. B Marsh

Postby Cameron10483 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Which way are you leaning in a non-ppr standard scoring and why?

I'm leaning toward CJ due to I think we've seen the best Marshall has to offer, and the opposite w/ Calvin....if Stafford is accuruate, defenses only double him instead of triple him, his other "weapons" take away coverage and he stays healthy I'm seeing vintage Moss like #'s.
Standard Scoring, 8 Team $ League, Start...QB,QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,WR,FLEX X3,TE,K,DEF.
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DEF-
Cameron10483
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Calvin vs. B Marsh

Postby LMack » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:28 am

Calvin is definitely the upside pick. Megatron has so much to prove.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby wet_fantasy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:40 am

calvin will have his best season by far.
wet_fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby tHe.pRoFessionaL » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:21 am

Not sold on Marshall at all this year, however the thing with owning Calvin (owned him the last two years) is that it will be hot and cold all year long.
tHe.pRoFessionaL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby vrOOm » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:54 pm

I'm lucky enough to own both players this year but if I had to choose I would go with Megatron.

If both Calvin and Stafford are healthy for the entire regular season...we may very well be calling Calvin's name as the first WR taken in 2011 fantasy football drafts!

I'm a bit concerned about Marshall this season now that Revis has signed and will most likely have minimal stats both times he faces the Jets.

If I had to do over again I would have taken Roddy White instead of Brandon Marshall.

vrOOm
vrOOm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:12 pm

Ill be the minority here... Marshall, and no not being a homer.

So what are the biggest issues going for and against both players?

Calvin:
A WR2 worth a roster spot opposite him. --- Ok yes Burleson is an upgrade over previous years, but seriously Calvin's talents haven't declined as far as I know so he is still going to be doubled and triple teamed, no matter who is on the field with him.
Stafford coming into his 2nd full year. --- Agree 100% that this will do nothing but benefit him. But he also has basically a whole new supporting cast of players starting at WR2, TE and RB. So how will this affect him? I think this is the bigger question then his valuable experience in year 1.
Coming off a 'down' year, has something to prove. --- Great motivation yes, but defenses aren't going to get weaker, so what exactly is going to change there?

Marshall:
Going back to a QB that has a cannon for an arm. --- Don't see how this doesn't benefit him at all.
Has a much stronger running game, that yes will steal some touches, but will put more eyes in the backfield from what hes used to. --- Again don't see any cons in that?
Henne coming into 2nd year as a starter with a shiny new toy. --- Henne had some decent options last year, but not a legit WR1, he is going to give Marshall as many balls as he can handle. Period.

Overall yes you can say Marshall is a douche and all about himself and stardom, but the guy flat gets it done no matter the situation. Point blank they are both in the same situation QB wise with 2nd year guys, both can get the ball to their respected receiver wether its 5 yards or 30 yards downfield. I just side with Marshall because of the fact that Miami has a much stronger running game to alleviate pressure, imo has a better supporting cast (Burleson>=Bess, Hartline>>whoever is WR3, Fasano>Scheffler, Ronnie or Ricky>Jahvid or Kevin), and I really think Marshall will benefit much more as being more of a possession receiver/relief valve for Henne then Calvin will being more of a down field guy for Stafford.

Call me crazy but I take Marshall 10 out of 10 times over Calvin.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bagobonez » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:38 pm

I think they're both over-rated. The Broncos were one of the pass-happiest teams in the league last year, and Marshall was the only legitimate threat in the passing game. Now he goes to one of the run-happiest teams in the league, and is still the only legitimate threat in the passing game. Henne as compared to Orton is a wash until Henne is able to acquit himself otherwise.

With Calvin... I owned him last year so maybe this is just sour grapes, but I figured after his monster '08 season with all the problems they had at QB and the team in general, that he would have nowhere to go but up. I figured, well, the Lions can't get worse than they were in '08, so Megatron shouldn't do worse than he did in '08 either. Wrong. Someone once mentioned that Calvin's skills as a WR are actually over-rated. Sure, he's a giant that runs a 4.3 and can leap tall buildings in a single bound, but you have to wonder if he just has that intangible factor that the great WR's do as far as knowing how to get open, knowing how to use his body to shield defenders, knowing how to set defenders up after making a catch, etc. And what's up with those 5 TD's last year? A guy of his stature should be a red zone demon, not a 5 TD guy. I'm not saying he's a bad WR, don't get me wrong, but to expect him to return to '08 numbers is a bit of a stretch in my opinion, until he proves '09 was the anomaly instead of '08. I'd rather have Roddy White.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:01 pm

I'm going with Calvin here.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby justinj312 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:09 am

Megatron: Calvin can do it all, Marshall cannot.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cameron10483 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:10 am

I like Calvin better myself as well but when I took Marshall this is who was gonet wr wise:

Aj, Wayne, moss, Fitzgerald, Calvin, white, and DJ. In need of a wr I took Marsh who I thought was best available. I looked @ Jennings and colston.
Standard Scoring, 8 Team $ League, Start...QB,QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,WR,FLEX X3,TE,K,DEF.
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DEF-
Cameron10483
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk