Revis is signed, sound the alarms Flacco owners - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Revis is signed, sound the alarms Flacco owners

Moderator: Football Moderators

Revis is signed, sound the alarms Flacco owners

Postby sammyfan711 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:40 am

It's time to save Flacco's coming out party until week 2, Revis will be motivated to perform on Monday night. The Jets only allowed 8 receiving touchdowns all of last year, this was far and away the best in the NFL last year (Buffalo was second with 14 receiving TDs allowed).

Here is the list, scary stuff for those of us who were anticipating Joe Cool as this year's breakout QB.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... onType=REG

I'm going with my backup week 1 and have to suggest the same to other Flacco owners. 2008 was Cutler's time to perform as an undervalued QB1, 2009 was all about Matt Schaub's value, and now this year it will be either Flacco or Matt Ryan. I'm still leaning towards Flacco but not counting week 1 against an unfair defense.
sammyfan711
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Revis is signed, sound the alarms Flacco owners

Postby BigMusky » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:12 am

I am not worried...Revis is not going to be running down the middle with Boldin or picking up Rice in the flat, not to mention the possibility of a healthy Heap.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby tHe.pRoFessionaL » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:18 am

I don't think it is something to overreact on either, but Revis makes a big difference whether an opposing QB owner will admit it or not. That D is pretty beastly without him - with him they are extremely hard to score on through the air. I wouldn't expect more than 1 td through the air in any given game.
tHe.pRoFessionaL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:13 pm

BigMusky wrote:I am not worried...Revis is not going to be running down the middle with Boldin or picking up Rice in the flat, not to mention the possibility of a healthy Heap.

You're talking about a defense that allowed 8 passing touch downs all last season and is arguably better heading into 2010. Zero TD for Matt Schaub, 1 TD in two games for Tom Brady (none in the Meadowlands), 0 TD for Drew Brees. You should definitely be worried if you're planning on starting Flacco.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby DynastyDucks » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Add Houshmanzedah to the list now, guess Cromartie will line up across from him, if he starts. They may not play him much on 1 week of practice.
DynastyDucks
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:29 pm

BigMusky wrote:I am not worried...Revis is not going to be running down the middle with Boldin or picking up Rice in the flat, not to mention the possibility of a healthy Heap.

I disagree completely. Revis is going to shut down Boldin and there should be no questions asked. Boldin is no better than Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, and Reggie Wayne. Furthermore, all three of these WRs respective quarterbacks are better than Flacco. The Jets defense did nothing this offseason than get better. The Jets were already ranked #1 in pass defense last year and now with a true #2 CB in Cromartie to hawk the other side of the field and the addition of Kyle Wilson as the #3CB will only help the Jets defense. With the addition of Jason Taylor to rush the edge and the return of Kris Jenkins on the inside to lure two offensive lineman every snap, will only make the Jets defense that much better. Hold your horses pal... I'd be pretty scared week-in and week-out when having a starting QB or WR against the Jets this year.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby nSurge » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Cromarties has proven he isnt really that good so I think he will be a non factor. And with no Rhodes, Ravens are gonna spank the jets.
nSurge
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:01 pm

nSurge wrote:Cromarties has proven he isnt really that good so I think he will be a non factor. And with no Rhodes, Ravens are gonna spank the jets.

Rhodes is atrocious. The defense is better without him.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:29 pm

nSurge wrote:Cromarties has proven he isnt really that good so I think he will be a non factor. And with no Rhodes, Ravens are gonna spank the jets.

:-?
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby BigMusky » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:25 pm

being the #1 pass defense does not mean you are necessarily some juggernaut (just ask the Packers because they were the #1 run defense even though they can not stop anyone with a real RB). The Colts(32)/Texans(30) are not running teams and only do so out of courtesy to try and keep defenses honest. The Jets have no offense, so there is no time when they are so far ahead of a team that people get in a Pass Only Mode. The Ravens are a run first team and will have the Jets in a completely different strategy then they used against Texans/Colts. It is much harder to guard the pass when you have to focus on stopping the run. Boldin is a completely different type of receiver then Wayne, AJ or Moss. Ray Rice is also so dynamic coming out of backfield there is no way you can account for him without giving something up. Regarding Patriots, the first game was the game everyone found out how crazy Rex Ryan really is with taunts and calls season ticket holders...and they had a million penalties, probably because it was Brady's 3rd game back and on top of it there was no Wes Welker. I chaulk that game up to good timing in schedule for Jets. The 2nd game the Patriots crushed them and Brady threw for 300 yards and only 1TD because the Jets defense was a sieve against run.

Welker had nearly 200 yards receiving...he is more like Boldin then Moss is.

The Ravens will stomp the Jets and Flacco will get his unless they just run every touchdown in.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk