Ryan Mathews - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ryan Mathews

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ryan Mathews

Postby abrunn11 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am

Does the fact that the San Diego Chargers ranked 31st in the NFL last season concern anyone when they are putting a value to Ryan Mathews?
abrunn11
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ryan Mathews

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:09 pm

A healthy Nick Hardwick at Center (Missed Weeks 2 - 15 last season) should help them improve upon that mark last year. They'll still be below average in the run blocking department, I presume, but there should be improvements.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby vrOOm » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:57 pm

What would concern me is goal line carries. This is why I ultimately didn't take him.

vrOOm
vrOOm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tony Micelli » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:23 pm

vrOOm wrote:What would concern me is goal line carries. This is why I ultimately didn't take him.

vrOOm

Because you're worried that Sproles will take Goal line carries away from Mathews?
QB's - Rodgers, Stafford

RB's - McFadden, J. Starks, Sproles, Felix Jones,DeMarco Murray

WR's -Larry Fitzgerald, M. Williams (TB), Julio Jones, Eric Decker, Antonio Brown

TE - Dustin Keller, Jake Ballard

K - J. Kasay

Def - Jets, 49ers
Tony Micelli
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bagobonez » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:02 am

bigh0rt wrote:A healthy Nick Hardwick at Center (Missed Weeks 2 - 15 last season) should help them improve upon that mark last year. They'll still be below average in the run blocking department, I presume, but there should be improvements.

Only if Marcus McNeill ends his holdout. Otherwise you're trading McNeill for Hardwick which is basically a wash. Though I'm still of the belief that 50% of the Chargers' problems running the ball were due to LT's inability to hit the hole like he used to.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby justinj312 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:16 am

bagobonez wrote:Though I'm still of the belief that 50% of the Chargers' problems running the ball were due to LT's inability to hit the hole like he used to.

I agree with you there, however hell will freeze over first before some members admit to such.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby vrOOm » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:37 pm

Tony Micelli wrote:
vrOOm wrote:What would concern me is goal line carries. This is why I ultimately didn't take him.

vrOOm

Because you're worried that Sproles will take Goal line carries away from Mathews?

not Sproles...but Mike Tolbert who received most goal line carries this preseason.
vrOOm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:04 pm

vrOOm wrote:
Tony Micelli wrote:

vrOOm

not Sproles...but Mike Tolbert who received most goal line carries this preseason.

The same Mike Tolbert who has 38 carries over 29 games in 2 years? Of those 38 only one went for a TD. There are some predicting this but I just don't see it. Mathews is a big enough boy to hand the red zone touches, especially with beefy Jacob Hester leading the way. Currently Tolbert is listed as FB2 and I don't see that changing, even with a decent preseason.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby tHe.pRoFessionaL » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:14 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
vrOOm wrote:
Tony Micelli wrote:

The same Mike Tolbert who has 38 carries over 29 games in 2 years? Of those 38 only one went for a TD. There are some predicting this but I just don't see it. Mathews is a big enough boy to hand the red zone touches, especially with beefy Jacob Hester leading the way. Currently Tolbert is listed as FB2 and I don't see that changing, even with a decent preseason.

I agree. It is important to pay attention and glean from certain things in preseason, but people way overreact many times to a couple great games (against 2nd and 3rd team def. no less) and all the sudden think a guy who hasn't done anything in his career is all the sudden going to become fantasy relevant.
tHe.pRoFessionaL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby iamgregg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:31 am

bagobonez wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:A healthy Nick Hardwick at Center (Missed Weeks 2 - 15 last season) should help them improve upon that mark last year. They'll still be below average in the run blocking department, I presume, but there should be improvements.

Only if Marcus McNeill ends his holdout. Otherwise you're trading McNeill for Hardwick which is basically a wash. Though I'm still of the belief that 50% of the Chargers' problems running the ball were due to LT's inability to hit the hole like he used to.

Dombrowski is arguably an upgrade over McNeill in terms of run blocking.

Tolbert is also listed as the RB3, and it's an endorsement of his performance as a short yardage (and otherwise) back that the team chose to only run with two dedicated tailbacks (Mathews and Sproles).

I'm not yet buying into Tolbert as the goal line back, but it's something to keep in mind and I wouldn't dismiss him as simply the backup Full Back.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk