Jerome Harrison & Cleveland Backfield - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jerome Harrison & Cleveland Backfield

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jerome Harrison & Cleveland Backfield

Postby tHe.pRoFessionaL » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:01 pm

With Hardesty going down it shakes things up a bit in the cleveland, the biggest benefactor being Jerome Harrison. I look at Chris Jennings and James Davis YPC last year and it was pathetic. This fact is not entirely indicative of their talent, as we all know Cleveland is not the greatest environment in almost every way offensively and defensively - I just don't see Cleveland giving either much work. But Harrison avg'd 4.4 - there were some long runs in there, yes - but that is the nature of the type of back he is (super speed)- he will always have those, much like CJ2k4 and Jamaal Charles.

I think Harrison can actually be a nice fantasy back this year, my biggest concern being his size and ability to hold up to 250+ carries. I haven't heard of any news of them bringing anyone else in, which currently makes him the unquestioned starter there - regardless of the team, that carries value. Now, will they bring someone else in - who knows, maybe so. He also is a very good receiver out of the backfield, which lends itself to even more value to PPR owners.

Having said all that, will this backfield situation look the same, for instance week 8? If it does, imo Harrison (barring injury) has a lot of value even considering his ADP. I would project, again barring injury and someone doesn't come out of nowhere to take his job that he could end up with 1400 total yards with 9 total TD's being the floor. He had 1082 with 7 TD's in 7 games for 2009.

I would I'd like to hear other opinions...
tHe.pRoFessionaL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jerome Harrison & Cleveland Backfield

Postby B-Chad » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:30 pm

I think Harrison will be given every opportunity to run away with the job. That said, I question whether his burner style will hold up with such a small stature over the rigors of a full 16 game season. I'm not a huge Jennings fan, but do think James Davis is intriguing, and in PPR leagues think Peyton Hillis may be of interest. Hillis looks the part of a bruiser complimentary back with good hands out of the backfield, I'd keep tabs on him in deep leagues.
B-Chad
Water Boy
Water Boy

Editor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brownsfantasygirl » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:58 pm

Jennings was cut. So that leaves James Davis, coming off of an injury, and Peyton Hillis. Davis has potential but he just hasn't been given that much work with the first team. Hillis was looking pretty good in preseason and I imagine he will get some work at the goal line, but I think Mangini plans to ride Harrison for as long as he can.

The Browns o-line is not as bad as it used to be, and Delhomme seems to be a smarter QB than Quinn and Anderson (knock wood). If he builds a nice rapport with some of our receivers, we might not have to depend on Harrison as much and the Ds won't be lining up waiting for the run every play.

That being said, I picked up Harrison late in hopes that he becomes a good play at RB2 or Flex, but years of being a Browns fan has me thinking that he'll break his leg in Week 1. :-o

Brady, Stafford
Rice, McCoy, M. Bush, Harrison, Chester, Huggins
Miles, Garcon, Royal, Wallace
Jermichael
Gould
NY Giants
brownsfantasygirl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:14 pm

brownsfantasygirl wrote: years of being a Browns fan has me thinking that he'll break his leg in Week 1. :-o

Brownsfantasygirl, there are laws against preseason pessimism :-D Even I, faithful, beaten, battered, and bound Lions fan can not but see 1,000/12 for Megatron, 1,200/7 for Best, and 3,700/27/12 for Stafford. None will disappoint, nor will either be injured. Reality is a few precious days away, live the dream while it breathes. ;-D :-b

BTW, Harrison may be the second best RB you have on your roster. I think he is a bargain where he has been going. If he breaks his leg Sunday I will hold you personally responsible. :-b GL this year, bfg.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:56 pm

I picked up Harrison pretty late as my 5th RB, but with this news I'm considering giving him the start this week. He may be in Cleveland, but these days any running back who figures to get 60-75% percent of the looks is a rare commodity.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tHe.pRoFessionaL » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:16 pm

moochman wrote:BTW, Harrison may be the second best RB you have on your roster. I think he is a bargain where he has been going. If he breaks his leg Sunday I will hold you personally responsible. :-b GL this year, bfg.

This is my whole point, I can see this guy hitting top 12 numbers if he stays healthy, and he is being drafted much less. The coaching staff has come out and said as of today that its his job to lose.
tHe.pRoFessionaL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bagobonez » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:03 am

Very underrated player with Hardesty on the IR. The Browns have an underrated line (Joe Thomas is the best run blocker and all around lineman in the game) and Harrison should get the majority of the snaps.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby justinj312 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:20 am

And remember Delhomme's strength is handing the ball off!
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby tHe.pRoFessionaL » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:27 pm

So my question is then, why is his ADP so low? Seeing that I am not the only one pretty darn high on him this year.
tHe.pRoFessionaL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby B-Chad » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:52 pm

tHe.pRoFessionaL wrote:So my question is then, why is his ADP so low? Seeing that I am not the only one pretty darn high on him this year.

I'd guess part of it is that some of the draft info being used for ADP is from when Hardesty was still viewed as a threat. Harrison is definitely a reasonable gamble as his ceiling is fairly high, I just think some of his backups warrant monitoring as well.
B-Chad
Water Boy
Water Boy

Editor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk