Rams recievers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rams recievers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rams recievers

Postby SetYourselfFree » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:51 pm

The Rams just traded for Mark Clayton and as a Rams fan I'm truly disappointed. I think he's proven to be nothing better than an average #3 reciever at best so if he gets a starting nod for the Rams, despite their lack of proven talent at the position, I won't be happy. Bradford is looking legit...so who will emerge from the heap of questionable WR to put up fantasy relevant numbers? I'm still hoping Laurent Robinson gets a shot to start and can become a reliable target.
SetYourselfFree
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rams recievers

Postby dgan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:59 pm

SetYourselfFree wrote:who will emerge from the heap of questionable WR to put up fantasy relevant numbers?

I think the question is, will someone emerge and be fantasy relevant? Look at New Orleans - they throw for 5000 yards and 50 TDs and they barely have fantasy relevant WRs, because they don't have one dominant one. (Or the offense doesn't utilize them that way.) Considering Bradford will be a huge success if he throws for 2200 yards, I don't think any one of their WRs is going to be worth starting unless you are ravaged by injury and suffering through Bye weeks.

From a dynasty perspective, I like the two young guys, Robinson and Amendola<sp?>
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:08 pm

dgan wrote:
SetYourselfFree wrote:who will emerge from the heap of questionable WR to put up fantasy relevant numbers?

I think the question is, will someone emerge and be fantasy relevant? Look at New Orleans - they throw for 5000 yards and 50 TDs and they barely have fantasy relevant WRs, because they don't have one dominant one. (Or the offense doesn't utilize them that way.) Considering Bradford will be a huge success if he throws for 2200 yards, I don't think any one of their WRs is going to be worth starting unless you are ravaged by injury and suffering through Bye weeks.

From a dynasty perspective, I like the two young guys, Robinson and Amendola<sp?>

Agreed- except I'm not drinking the Rams WR kool-aid from a dynasty perspective. I've fallen for Robinson once before- he has the talent, he just: A) doesn't care; B) keeps getting injured. Amendola is a special teamer who doesn't have any long-term value, IMO. Redraft, though, I'd think about him- much more so in return yardage/TD leagues.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Laurent Robinson is the only Rams recEIver that is draftable. :-)

He's worth it after guys like Jacoby Jones and Bernard Berrian are gone, but if he hasn't done anything after the first couple of weeks, he's a guy to toss right back into the pool.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SetYourselfFree » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:00 pm

Likely a wise assesment. In shallow leagues, you're absolutely right. I don't really think Clayton is better than Gilyard or Brandon Gibson so I'm not sure exactly what they plan on doing with him.
SetYourselfFree
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:03 pm

Really depends on league size. 10-12, ya I think Robinson is about the only fantasy relevant WR in St. Louis, for the first couple weeks. So after the first couple weeks? Mark Clayton I think is getting bashed a bit too much by an apparent Ram's fan, Clayton is actually a very skilled WR. Now in deeper leagues I really believe that there are a couple of relevance; Robinson of course is one, but I also believe Armendola comes from no where to be relevant at very least as a plug and play.

Breaking it down:

Robinson - Easily the best WR on that squad when he wants to be, and when hes healthy. If he can stay healthy all year I really give him a legit shot for 1000yds and at least 4-5TDs. The supporting cast around him isn't much, but it is definitely enough to take enough eyes off him to get open, his talent will do the rest.

Armendola - Poor man's Wes Welker. They are built pretty much the same size wise. He has shown in camp and the preseason games that he has very good hands. I agree with the 'special-teamer' tag posted above, but in a positive way. What was Welker before he actually made it big? Nothing more then a special-teamer for the Phins. This gives Armendola an advantage given his size doesn't off much in advantages in the vertical game, his shifty skills give him the ability to create after the catch, a hell of a lot more then what can be said for Donnie Avery.

Gibson - There is one main issue with the Ram's receiving core; too many of the same type of receiver. Gibson is a great possession guy, not fast, not too tall (6'0"), but has good hands and a very good leaping ability. Gibson was traded from Philly last season for Will Witherspoon, and hasn't spent a lot of time in this system. Overall Gibson fits the slot to a T for the Rams and will be a great relief valve for Bradford.

Dynasty league I love Mardy Gilyard, he is hurting a bit starting out simply because of the NFL's Graduation Rule where he couldn't join the Rams until Cincy's commencement ceremony on June 12th. Thus he missed 4 OTA's and the first mini camp, making the transition from college to pros at one of the toughest positions to do so even harder. After joining the team a wrist injury put him behind even further, but this kid has the skill and being a rookie at least has something in common with starting QB Bradford. Overall tho you look at this kid and say: ya he's fast, but for a WR not exceptionally fast, yeah he's built, but for a WR hes not tall enough and broad enough, but you have to look deeper. He has amazing hands, has the brains and ability to find the seams that most WR, especially younger WR, miss, and just has the smarts to play the game. He reminds me a lot of a Cris Carter/former Ram Torry Holt type WR, who isn't blazing fast, wasn't big, but couldn't be covered.

I have 3 leagues that are 14+ (1-14, 1-16 and 1-20) and the WR from St. Louis on my radar:

1. Larent Robinson
2. Mark Clayton
3. Danny Armendola
4. Brandon Gibson
5. Mardy Gilyard

If it were me setting the Ram's lineup I would have Gilyard and Clayton starting at WR1/WR2 with Armendola in the slot. Robinson has the best fantasy relevance, but could be soooooo much more relevant if he would finally just care even a little bit about competing. If it were me I would actually be looking at the TE position for fantasy relevance out of St. Louis' receiving core.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby justinj312 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:50 am

I wouldn't bother. It's akin to searching for a NE RB. There are better areas to find WR production.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:38 pm

Well so far the whole 'Michael Clayton is nothing better then an average WR3' comment has been blown out of the water. He has very, very quickly turned into Sam's safety valve.

Damn nice PPR stat line so far:
11 Targets, 8 Receptions, 81 Yards

The rest of the receivers who have caught a pass today for the Rams (7 other players with at least 1 reception) haven't even totaled together what Clayton has. Between Clayton and Amendola they have 17 targets, 12 receptions and 131 yards. Just remember in that same game against a sad St. Louis pass D Fitzgerald has 1rec, coming in the first few minutes of the first quarter, combine his 1 or 18 with Breaston's 2 for 28 and Clayton's day isn't looking all that bad.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guru13 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:18 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:Well so far the whole 'Michael Clayton is nothing better then an average WR3' comment has been blown out of the water. He has very, very quickly turned into Sam's safety valve.

Damn nice PPR stat line so far:
11 Targets, 8 Receptions, 81 Yards

The rest of the receivers who have caught a pass today for the Rams (7 other players with at least 1 reception) haven't even totaled together what Clayton has. Between Clayton and Amendola they have 17 targets, 12 receptions and 131 yards. Just remember in that same game against a sad St. Louis pass D Fitzgerald has 1rec, coming in the first few minutes of the first quarter, combine his 1 or 18 with Breaston's 2 for 28 and Clayton's day isn't looking all that bad.

finshed 10 for 119, including an incredible catch on the sideline. He had two hit him right in the hands that he definitely shoulda caught, but considering he's been on the team for a week, I'd call that a pretty good line.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SetYourselfFree » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:48 am

Clayton dropped more than than two passes...more like 4 or 5 and he's always had a low catch rate (under 50% for his career). He was thrown into the fire immediately and helped move the chains several times. Still, I think the biggest reason he had so many targets is because Rodgers-Cromartie was able to shut Laurent Robinson down for much of the game and Greg Toler predictably wasn't able to cover anyone (Clayton). Defenses will certainly take notice of Clayton's usage in week one and Robinson won't be covered by a corner as good as Rodgers-Cromartie most weeks so I expect the production between them to even out a bit.

Bradford looked pretty good in his debut considering the high interception total was largely a result of throwing the ball 55 times and one of his picks was on an end game hail mary. Once he gets more comfortable with his guys and the playbook, I think he's good enough to make some of his targets fantasy relevant.
SetYourselfFree
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk