Welker Real or Fake? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Welker Real or Fake?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Welker Real or Fake?

Postby lacd0g » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:15 pm

Does anyone buy that Welker is not feeling great after surgery or is he pulling a Tom Brady. Last year Brady acted like his surgery was threatening for the season, goes out and had a good season in 09. Is Welker telling the truth or just following the Patriot way?
*LEAGUE CHAMP 2009/2010 SEASON*
ROSTER 2011 SEASON
QB-Big Ben, Tebow
RB-AP, S. Jax, Sproles, Jacobs
WR-L. Fitz, Boldin, N. Washington, Cruz, D. Nelson
TE-Fred Davis, Greg Olson
DEF-Change Weekly
K-Change Weekly, mostly Janikowski
lacd0g
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Welker Real or Fake?

Postby lacd0g » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Does anyone buy that Welker is not feeling great after surgery or is he pulling a Tom Brady. Last year Brady acted like his surgery was threatening for the season, goes out and had a good season in 09. Is Welker telling the truth or just following the Patriot way?
*LEAGUE CHAMP 2009/2010 SEASON*
ROSTER 2011 SEASON
QB-Big Ben, Tebow
RB-AP, S. Jax, Sproles, Jacobs
WR-L. Fitz, Boldin, N. Washington, Cruz, D. Nelson
TE-Fred Davis, Greg Olson
DEF-Change Weekly
K-Change Weekly, mostly Janikowski
lacd0g
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Welker Real or Fake?

Postby bagobonez » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:47 pm

Who can say? But it should be mentioned that unlike Brady, Welker was injured towards the end of the season. Remember that original reports had Welker missing the first 6 weeks of the season or so, and it's obvious that Welker's rehab went well, but you have to wonder if he's 100%. Having said that I still think he's under-valued especially in PPR leagues.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:49 pm

I don't have any doubts that Welker will be there week 1, for sure, but remember ACLs aren't the easiest injuries to return from. ACLs always scare me especially in RB/WR with the cuts and such stress on the knee, but more so the explosiveness and quickness off the line that could take some time to return. This is what I'm thinking Wes is talking about when he says 'people say I look 100%, but I don't feel it and won't put a number on myself'.

I think he will still be a very nice mid-low WR2 option even to start out the year, but his shiftiness and bursting out of cuts and such, may take a bit of time to return to him.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:59 pm

I think it's the Patriot Way in the other direction: they've been exaggerating his progress. I am very skeptical he will start full-time.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tHe.pRoFessionaL » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:20 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:I think it's the Patriot Way in the other direction: they've been exaggerating his progress. I am very skeptical he will start full-time.

Do you watch the preseason at all? Because if you do you will notice that he looks great in and out of his cuts. I believe him in that he isn't 100% of who he has been, but he is very close and he looks great.
tHe.pRoFessionaL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm questioning his ability to play for three hours straight in a real game. Yeah, he looked good, but he had only five receptions. I'm guessing the hardest part coming off of rehab (I'm not a doctor) is building stamina back up. There's no way of knowing if he can play a full game yet until he actually does it.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby lody » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:44 am

hes drafted pretty low in yahoo despite being the PPR king...i say if you grab him in the late 5th, its a risk worth taking
lody
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby justinj312 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:31 am

It's hard to make an informed decision when you don't have all the facts and data and. So anybody's guess is just a guess, a roll of the dice. Good luck rolling...
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby tbagz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 am

It's hard to tell honestly but one thing sticks out in my mind is that Brady had almost a year to recover whereas Welker had about 7 months. I'm not sure if the speedy recovery is him just rushing to get back on the field before Edelmen takes his spot or what. If he is 100% physically though the thing that most people have issues with is the mental aspect of it which could be what he is not 100% recovered from. I was low on Welker this year but if truly healthy I would assume he would get better as the season went on. He looked fine in preseason but again that's just preseason and doesn't mean anything. We'll just have to wait and see.
i still hate the steelers...
tbagz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk