trying auction, need quick tips/strategy for tomorrow - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

trying auction, need quick tips/strategy for tomorrow

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby kickureface » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:25 am

hey guys, trying out first auction league. seems more exciting than standard since u got a shot at everyone and you can make others overpay for those you dont want.

i do need tips from experienced folk out there. it seems too good to be true--
standard 12team 200$ (PPR with flex and extra bench spot) seems like i can get some GREAT starters. im saying a good/decent QB, a top tier RB and a 2nd/3rd tier RB, a top tier WR1 and two WR2s and some decent option at TE. then fill my bench with CHEAP upside dudes. i MUST be missing something here, since i can call myself the champion if this is true!

is it better to get a strong core of high tier players (50$ 30$ for 2 rb, 30 20 15 for 3wr, 20 for qb, leaving me around 35$ for cheap filler flyers) and an upside risky bench, or a solid talent group of starters with some capable ones on the bench (15 qb, 20 20 20 20 or something for 4rb, 20 15 15 10 etc for 4WR, and so on??). with the first idea, my bye weeks would be hit or miss, with my second it would be more stable. hope that makes sense.

also, ANY experienced tips and strategies are welcome. just in a rut with how to draft my team...
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: trying auction, need quick tips/strategy for tomorrow

Postby lacunacoiler » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:13 am

kickureface wrote:trying auction, need quick tips/strategy for tomorrow

hey guys, trying out first auction league. seems more exciting than standard since u got a shot at everyone and you can make others overpay for those you dont want.

standard 12team 200$ (PPR with flex and extra bench spot) seems like i can get some GREAT starters. im saying a good/decent QB, a top tier RB and a 2nd/3rd tier RB, a top tier WR1 and two WR2s and some decent option at TE. then fill my bench with CHEAP upside dudes. i MUST be missing something here, since i can call myself the champion if this is true!

is it better to get a strong core of high tier players (50$ 30$ for 2 rb, 30 20 15 for 3wr, 20 for qb, leaving me around 35$ for cheap filler flyers) and an upside risky bench, or a solid talent group of starters with some capable ones on the bench (15 qb, 20 20 20 20 or something for 4rb, 20 15 15 10 etc for 4WR, and so on??). with the first idea, my bye weeks would be hit or miss, with my second it would be more stable. hope that makes sense.

also, ANY experienced tips and strategies are welcome. just in a rut with how to draft my team...

my 1st rule: set a budget on the max amount you will bid on a specific player..
for me i always have this rule of never pay over 45bucks on any player unless AD & CJ2k goes for under 60bucks(they usually go for 70 on yahoo & espn auction leagues, mock or real)..

my 2nd rule: dont nominate guys like you like.. . try nominating guys that you think other owners will overpay...
i always nominate kickers for a buck first to get them out of the way.. and i usually see managers bid 8 bucks for guys like gostkowski or kaeding..

my 3rd rule: try to jack up the prices.. dont let managers get someone for dirt cheap, especially if a specific player is getting alot of hype.. if a manager likes a player, jack the price up..
whenever someone nominates a guy im not planning to draft, like marshall for 1buck, i immediately bid 15 bucks on him & then try to jack him up over 25bucks so that i drain their money... this strat can backfire on you coz if someone didnt bite on your bluff, you will drain your money on a guy you dont want to draft, so proceed with caution on this one..
i also observe which managers are late bidders; guys that will bid on the last second.. this is an indication for me that this manager likes this player & i try to jackup the price by not too much & see how far he will go.. of course set a limit on how much you want to jack up the price if you dont want to overpay on a guy you dont prefer drafting..

my 4th rule: save money towards the end.. try to save at least a quarter of your initial budget towards the end for bargain players..
in auction drafts, there will always be good bargains towards the end of the draft so you dont want to burn your money early & miss out on cheap good talent that will add depth to your lineup..

im not an expert on auction drafts, but this tips im giving you are based from my experience...
lacunacoiler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kickureface » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:18 am

nice tips! loved it!

i saw that same kicker strategy on espn i think. so you nominated a kicker first round and got him for 1$, or did noobs pay 8+ in the first round for them?
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby lacunacoiler » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:44 pm

kickureface wrote:nice tips! loved it!

i saw that same kicker strategy on espn i think. so you nominated a kicker first round and got him for 1$, or did noobs pay 8+ in the first round for them?

not noobs really... just guys that think that they should have the best kickers on their roster... and also bots will overpay for them, as long as they have aprojected value of over $1...
lacunacoiler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kickureface » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:02 pm

interesting. you did tihs just to drain their money early on an unimportant position? i def will try this. when did you end up with your kicker if people bid them?
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bostonsoxandy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Heres my tips summed up in a nice 'lil' read

here is a conservative estimate on how to spend your money according to PRO FOOTBALL FORECAST 2010, my fav. footabll mag:
Quaterback --$40 (20%)
Running Back -- $70 (35%)
Wide Receiver--$70 (35%)
Tight End -- $15 (7.5%)
Kicker/Def -- $5 (2.5%)

Now adjust those numbers considering you can get a $1 kickers + $1 defense and get a TE like Cooley for around $5 instead of $15...all this giving you an additional $18 for RB/WR/QB
position breakdown advice:
QB: Don't get a "Big 7" QB unless its insanely cheap and a bargain. You COULD spend $40 for Rodgers...or ya could get Big Ben/Favre/Ryan/Eli Manning/Cutler/Kolb...pick 3 of those and each should cost you only $5 each max...so the Total Cost at QB: $15 (save $25 compared to the Pro Football Breakdown--total savings:$43 for RB/WR
RB: Go big here. Grab studs and grab a good amount of them-use tiers and find the best values..instead of paying $65/70 for Chris Johnson grab these guys for the same price: Ryan Matthews ($26--ESPN average auction price), Jamaal Charles ($23), Jonathan Stewart ($19), and somone like Spiller/Foster/Best for $10. Total Cost at RB (for 4 quality ones I remind you): $80...saving is at -10 at position, total savings at $33 for WR now
WR-You should leave this draft stacked at WR and RB. If you don't you failed. Again, stay away from Andre Johnson for around $50 average...instead find a nice mix with around $100 free to spend only at WR if you followed every other position like i said!..so with that $100 you could get...Miles Austin ($30), Jennings ($23), DeSean Jackson ($24), Garcon ($11), Nicks ($9)..Total Cost at WR (for 3 stud/2 quality): $90...saving is at -20 for position, extra cash left over for bench = $13

so everything goes smoothly your team should look something like this quality-wise:
QB a QBBC of Cutler, Favre, and Eli Manning
RB Ryan Matthews
RB Jamaal Charles
RB/WR DeSean Jackson
WR Miles Austin
WR Greg Jennings
TE Dude like Winslow/Cooley works fine...
D/ST Cincy or w/e pleases your fancy for a buck
K whoever, Idk, matt prater?
B CJ Spiller
B Jonathan Stewart
B Pierre Garcon
B Hakeem Nicks
B ***2 benched QBs***
B ***2 benched QBS***

Hell, if everything goes EXACTLY like I said (which I wont but I like to dream) with that excess $13 invest that in a stud TE like vernon davis/gates to complete the look

BIGGEST PIECE OF ADVICE:
auctions go fast...you will screw up...you will make mistakes. think about every bid, dont bid just to bid someone you dont want up cause ya may get stuck with em. try to not overpay but dont wait so long your team is full of garbage. good luck and have fun.
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby lacunacoiler » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:39 pm

kickureface wrote:interesting. you did tihs just to drain their money early on an unimportant position? i def will try this. when did you end up with your kicker if people bid them?

never... i dont draft kickers on auction drafts unless it is a top5 kicker... i just search the waiver pool for plugins..

bostonsoxandy wrote:

Heres my tips summed up in a nice 'lil' read

here is a conservative estimate on how to spend your money according to PRO FOOTBALL FORECAST 2010, my fav. footabll mag:
Quaterback --$40 (20%)
Running Back -- $70 (35%)
Wide Receiver--$70 (35%)
Tight End -- $15 (7.5%)
Kicker/Def -- $5 (2.5%)

Now adjust those numbers considering you can get a $1 kickers + $1 defense and get a TE like Cooley for around $5 instead of $15...all this giving you an additional $18 for RB/WR/QB
position breakdown advice:
QB: Don't get a "Big 7" QB unless its insanely cheap and a bargain. You COULD spend $40 for Rodgers...or ya could get Big Ben/Favre/Ryan/Eli Manning/Cutler/Kolb...pick 3 of those and each should cost you only $5 each max...so the Total Cost at QB: $15 (save $25 compared to the Pro Football Breakdown--total savings:$43 for RB/WR
RB: Go big here. Grab studs and grab a good amount of them-use tiers and find the best values..instead of paying $65/70 for Chris Johnson grab these guys for the same price: Ryan Matthews ($26--ESPN average auction price), Jamaal Charles ($23), Jonathan Stewart ($19), and somone like Spiller/Foster/Best for $10. Total Cost at RB (for 4 quality ones I remind you): $80...saving is at -10 at position, total savings at $33 for WR now
WR-You should leave this draft stacked at WR and RB. If you don't you failed. Again, stay away from Andre Johnson for around $50 average...instead find a nice mix with around $100 free to spend only at WR if you followed every other position like i said!..so with that $100 you could get...Miles Austin ($30), Jennings ($23), DeSean Jackson ($24), Garcon ($11), Nicks ($9)..Total Cost at WR (for 3 stud/2 quality): $90...saving is at -20 for position, extra cash left over for bench = $13

so everything goes smoothly your team should look something like this quality-wise:
QB a QBBC of Cutler, Favre, and Eli Manning
RB Ryan Matthews
RB Jamaal Charles
RB/WR DeSean Jackson
WR Miles Austin
WR Greg Jennings
TE Dude like Winslow/Cooley works fine...
D/ST Cincy or w/e pleases your fancy for a buck
K whoever, Idk, matt prater?
B CJ Spiller
B Jonathan Stewart
B Pierre Garcon
B Hakeem Nicks
B ***2 benched QBs***
B ***2 benched QBS***

Hell, if everything goes EXACTLY like I said (which I wont but I like to dream) with that excess $13 invest that in a stud TE like vernon davis/gates to complete the look

BIGGEST PIECE OF ADVICE:
auctions go fast...you will screw up...you will make mistakes. think about every bid, dont bid just to bid someone you dont want up cause ya may get stuck with em. try to not overpay but dont wait so long your team is full of garbage. good luck and have fun.

i have to agree with boston here... this is usually my strat.. always spend most of my money on rb's & wr's... i go for a combo of flacco/kolb/mcnabb/big-ben/ryan/palmer/favre as my 2 qb's & i usually spend under 15 bucks for 2 of these guys..

for te i go with either cooley/zach miller/owen daniels for under 8 bucks.. usually just 3 for a cooley or zach
lacunacoiler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bb88 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:09 pm

One of my favorite auction strategies is if I end up grabbing my TE or top QB (so I don't need a great back-up) early then I'll nominate nothing but TEs and QBs because I don't need them and it's just going to be less money people have to take away your RBs and WRs. And definitely nominate the best guy you don't want if you don't have any specific needs. And never bring up your sleepers early, people will end up spending more on them than they should 9 times out of 10 it seems.
bb88
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kickureface » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:58 pm

ok last major question: when are the most common nomination times (rounds) in which people splurge and people back off? i'd like to take advantage of that. and how does nominating crappier players early (like a 5+ rounder or kickers/D) in the early rounds usually end up?

any ways for people to drain are good smile.gif
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bostonsoxandy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:53 pm

kickureface wrote:ok last major question: when are the most common nomination times (rounds) in which people splurge and people back off? i'd like to take advantage of that. and how does nominating crappier players early (like a 5+ rounder or kickers/D) in the early rounds usually end up?

any ways for people to drain are good smile.gif

matters on your auction obv. but usually the first 20 are generally very very hot...and it stays hot throughout untill a couple of big spenders blow all their money, then it cools down.
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk