Jamal Charles=bust? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jamal Charles=bust?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jamal Charles=bust?

Postby radiohead625 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:48 pm

Why do i have a feeling charles will be this years matt forte? Its weird gut feeling that i cannot explain.
radiohead625
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jamal Charles=bust?

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:55 pm

It depends how you rank him, some people see him as an RB2, some as an RB3. I personally see him as a pretty decent RB2 and took him in my money league. I feel like he's one of those players that will either do ok or blow up. It depends on how much Jones fits into the mix but we won't get a good feeling of what they want to do for a few weeks. I'll admit I'm a bit worried but would be shocked if he ended up with something like Forte's 4 TDs.
sadlyajetsfan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PuntinFool » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:44 pm

It won't nearly be the same feeling even if he does underperform. Forte came off a great year and was picked early in the first round last year with thoughts of continued success. Charles only pulled off a late season effectiveness and this year has an experienced backup that could steal carries if he doesn't start off well.

Maybe Charles could be this year's Steve Slaton if analogies should be righted.
Last edited by PuntinFool on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired (temporarily?) from fantasy football.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SetYourselfFree » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:54 pm

He still has not only RB1 upside but an elite CJ/AP ceiling. The fact Thomas Jones is around really makes that possibility unlikely but people seem to forget about what he did last year. I love him as a RB2 with massive potential if he gets enough touches.
SetYourselfFree
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Matthias » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:58 pm

He's getting drafted (or at least I've seen him drafted) as people's low-end RB1 or top-end RB2 and I think there's massive bust potential in that spot. The Chiefs didn't bring in Thomas Jones to hold a clipboard. At best, I see Charles in a 60/40 RBBC where he's pretty much an RB3. And if that's the price then he's fine. Anything higher and I think people are looking at last year not this year.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby silverZ » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:17 pm

I got him in the early 3rd round after grabbing Megatron as my WR1 in round 2. His upside is too great to worry about him being a bust at that ADP. Hell after drafting LT 7th overall over CJ and winning my league last year I don't see how grabbing Charles in the 3rd is going to ruin anyones chances of winning a league.
circa 2005
silverZ
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 4)

Postby biju » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Matthias wrote:He's getting drafted (or at least I've seen him drafted) as people's low-end RB1 or top-end RB2 and I think there's massive bust potential in that spot. The Chiefs didn't bring in Thomas Jones to hold a clipboard. At best, I see Charles in a 60/40 RBBC where he's pretty much an RB3. And if that's the price then he's fine. Anything higher and I think people are looking at last year not this year.

Let me ask you a question: why do you think Thomas Jones is a threat to him? If you tell me that it's because of his stats last year then I have another question for you: did the entire Jets O-line go to KC as well? Because if not, Thomas Jones is going to look every bit the age he is.

I think the people who have Thomas Jones doing anything above about 100 carries and about 320 yards are delusional. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:51 pm

If you draft him in the first two rounds, he's a bust. Anything later, and he's good value. Count me among the many who believe Thomas Jones will steal too many carries for Charles to have RB1 value.
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SetYourselfFree » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:57 pm

100 carries sounds about right. I would project a slightly higher YPC than 3.2 simply because that is completely pathetic but the only real threat with TJ is that he might be used as a short yardage back and vulture a lot of TD's Willis McGahee/LenDale White style. It's not enough to scare me off in any way though...Chris Johnson and Ray Rice had great seasons despite having many TD opportunities stolen.
SetYourselfFree
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby biju » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:07 pm

SetYourselfFree wrote:100 carries sounds about right. I would project a slightly higher YPC than 3.2 simply because that is completely pathetic but the only real threat with TJ is that he might be used as a short yardage back and vulture a lot of TD's Willis McGahee/LenDale White style. It's not enough to scare me off in any way though...Chris Johnson and Ray Rice had great seasons despite having many TD opportunities stolen.

Well he averaged 3.5 YPC including his runs against the 2nd and 3rd teams. Against starters he went 12 carries for 28 yards, good for a whopping 2.3 YPC. About the only thing Thomas Jones is going to be good for this year is if the Chiefs tie him up to a spit and light a fire. At least that way someone can get dinner off that carcass.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk