Never played IDP need some help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

Never played IDP need some help

Never played IDP need some help

Postby Picksburgh » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:06 am

We have a work league going with the scoring as follows for and IDP. I have never played with a D player before and don't know who to grab up. I am guessing an OLB or maybe a Safety would be the way to go. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Guys I know are gone are Willis, Beason, Polamalu, Harrison (pit), yerimiah bell, d ware.

Tackle Solo 1
Sack 2
Interception 3
Fumble Force 1
Fumble Recovery 1
Defensive Touchdown 6
Safety 3
Pass Defended 1
Block Kick 2
Picksburgh
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Never played IDP need some help

Postby NoSpin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:08 pm

LB's are generally the highest scoring IDP position.

Top LB's are (in order):
Willis
Beason
Laurinaitis
D.J Williams
Ruud
Lofton
Pozlusney
D Harris
R McClain
Ryans
Ray Lewis
Vilma
Dansby
EJ Henderson
Mayo
K Morrison
J Harrison
L Fletcher
Briggs
Urlacher
G Hayes
Greenway
D Ware
Boley

Of the DB's, Strong Safety is generally the most productive.

Top DB's:
Pollard
T Branch
Atogwe
Y Bell
B Dawkins
Weddle
Harper
L Landry
C Woodson
A Winfield
A Wilson
Goldson
Delmas
E Coleman

DL's are the lowest scoring position, unless you are required to carry a DL I wouldn't draft one outside the Top 10.

J Allen
M Williams
Tuck
Peppers
Cole
Suggs
Mathis
W Smith
Kiwanuka
R Edwards
Freeney
VandenBosch
J Smith

Go for those top LB's first. After the top 5-10 or so are taken, start digging into the DB's. One caveat....if you are required to have a DL or two, don't wait too long to grab one. The number of good, consistent DL's are very few, so you want to get a good one while you can, it's all about supply and demand. The pool of quality LB's and DB's is much deeper, higher supply for the demand, so wait on them and get a Top DL.
Seeing your scoring system, big plays aern't rewarded very generously over a simple solo tackle, this demotes the value of guys like DeMarcus Ware for whom that is their specialty...not so much racking up tackles. It also pulls down the value of the DL's who generally have value through big plays, they don't log alot of tackles like LB's and DB's (mainly safties) do. Top corners like Woodson, Winfield, Finnegan, Tillman, Leon Hall, R Marshall can buck this general safties score more than CB's rule.

One more thing. If your league rewards individual punt and kick return yardage, grab D Manning CHI, E Hobbs PHI, J Leonhard NYJ, T Williams GB - they are also return guys who are also starters at their defensive position. It is really only worthwhile to select these guys over more productive LB/DB options who don't return kicks if you get a point for about every 30 return yards or better. I'm in one league that scores 1 point for every 15 return yards, which is unusually generous scoring, so I have Ellis Hobbs and Tramon Williams on my roster, along with top guys Willis, Pollard, Vilma, Atogwe and Ryans.
Three 2009 Money Leagues.
Two 1st place, one 2nd place finish.
NoSpin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Never played IDP need some help

Postby Picksburgh » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:44 pm

thank you
Picksburgh
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant