Sproles this season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sproles this season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sproles this season

Postby Jockpunk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Was wondering what people think sprole's role will be this season. Similar to last season? I am in a league that gives 1 point per 25 return yards which can end up being fairly significant. Is he expected to return kicks and punts? How about his role in the offense?
Last edited by Jockpunk on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jockpunk
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sproles this season

Postby jaytizy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:28 pm

I am in a league that gives 25 points per return yard which can end up being fairly significant

significant indeed... O:-)
jaytizy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Jockpunk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:53 pm

jaytizy wrote:
I am in a league that gives 25 points per return yard which can end up being fairly significant

significant indeed... O:-)

hahaha my bad. Obviously meant one point per 25 yards. Too much multitasking.
Jockpunk
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:34 pm

I think Sproles went underrated in drafts this year considering the departure of Tomlinson and the fact that Ryan Mathews, though highly touted, is a rookie unknown. In a league with return yardage scored at that clip, I would guess he's good for about 60 extra points relative to those RBs who don't return kicks.

I've always felt like Sproles was a very good NFL player if undersized to handle a traditional starting RB workload. Seems to me like everytime he's gotten a chance to "start" he's come up pretty big. He may not be a between the tackles runner, but he is excellent catching the ball out of the backfield and a great outside running threat.

Given his presence in SD I was kind of surprised to hear Norv speak so highly of Mathews's workload. This would seem like an ideal situation to use more of a committee while the rook gets acclimated to the NFL. I guess if you're taking Norv at his word, Sproles's role won't change this year, but I think there's a chance that as the season plays out he earns more of a role depending on his and Ryan Mathews's success on the field.

Either way, in return yardage leagues, he's probably a top 40 back, which is definitely roster material and a bye week/flex fill in.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk