Why is everyone so low on McCoy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why is everyone so low on McCoy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why is everyone so low on McCoy?

Postby SameSongNDance » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:23 am

Almost every analysis that I've had the pleasure of reading states that McCoy is going to high, he only has real worth in PPR leagues and that Mike Bell will almost definitely eat into his carries(goal line). I wanted to know what the Cafe's take on him was, I'll leave my opinion out of it for now. :-b
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why is everyone so low on McCoy?

Postby biju » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:43 am

I think a lot of that is due to watching last year's games. McCoy seemed to want to bounce the ball outside instead of running between the tackles. The problem is he isn't fast enough (few RBs are) to make the edge. The analysts have him pegged in PPR likely because they think Kolb won't be able to make it through all of his reads before needing to check it down, and McCoy will be there waiting.

I actually like the guy and was able to nab him in a 14 team PPR league in the 3rd round. With the exception of week 1 I think he's going to look pretty good.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SetYourselfFree » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:04 am

I think he's a very solid RB2 in PPR leagues. I also own him in a couple leagues but I'm tempering my expectations a bit. He might only get 200 carries because of Andy Reid's scheme. McCoy also raised a few red flags last year as his conditioning was lacking and he had problems blocking and running between the tackles. Reports from camp indicated his conditioning improved vastly and he made strides in several areas that needed improvement. The hope is that he will take hold of the feature RB role and run with it. He doesn't have nearly the competition of many RB situations and his heavy involvement in the passing game should mask any bumps along the way. I think he has Brian Westbrook upside if everything breaks right.
SetYourselfFree
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:52 pm

biju wrote:I think a lot of that is due to watching last year's games. McCoy seemed to want to bounce the ball outside instead of running between the tackles. The problem is he isn't fast enough (few RBs are) to make the edge. The analysts have him pegged in PPR likely because they think Kolb won't be able to make it through all of his reads before needing to check it down, and McCoy will be there waiting.

I actually like the guy and was able to nab him in a 14 team PPR league in the 3rd round. With the exception of week 1 I think he's going to look pretty good.

Agreed on all counts. If you've got someone like Best, Harrison, etc. you have to bench him this week as the Pack is BRUTAL against opposing RBs, but I think he's a great asset (especially in PPR) if you got him in the late 3rd-mid 4th.
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Why I am low on McCoy is because I don't know if he is the real McCoy.

Okay, too easy. I don't remember seeing anything about him in the preseason that made me think he was going to thrive. He has an untested QB and decent competition should he not excel. I simply was suprised that he didn't show more, though I do expect him to do well.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Slayer Rules » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:20 pm

He's just not very good. He has nice hands - great. He has average speed and he can't break a tackle. This guy is not the answer at RB for the Eagles. There may be a game or two this season where he has an actual impact on the outcome of the game - that's it.
Slayer Rules
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:24 pm

There were plenty of games last year where Westbrook was hurt and McCoy was getting starter's carries... and he just wasn't that good. He is a decent RB2 in PPR leagues, but at his ADP I'd much rather target Foster/Forte/Best. In standard leagues, I don't think he'll be much better than a low-end RB2 or flex play.
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby justinj312 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:39 am

SetYourselfFree wrote: I think he has Brian Westbrook upside if everything breaks right.

Umm No.
Not as fast, not as elusive, not as good of a receiver, and not as good of a blocker. He has not proven he can shoulder the load for the whole season.

McCoy pales in comparinson to Westy. I have stayed away from him in all drafts. McCoy is a serviceable RB who does alot of things ok, but nothing really great.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby biju » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:54 am

justinj312 wrote:
SetYourselfFree wrote: I think he has Brian Westbrook upside if everything breaks right.

Umm No.
Not as fast, not as elusive, not as good of a receiver, and not as good of a blocker. He has not proven he can shoulder the load for the whole season.

McCoy pales in comparinson to Westy. I have stayed away from him in all drafts. McCoy is a serviceable RB who does alot of things ok, but nothing really great.

This sounds kind of like what people said when Westbrook came into the league. He was too small, not quick enough, not a good blocker.

I've give you that Westbrook is a better receiver (albeit not by as much as you're thinking) and certainly last year he was a better blocker, but it's foolish to think that those skills can't be improved upon. McCoy was drafted because of his receiving tools, it's just a matter of reps and coaching to get him further along. By most accounts it sounds like the beat reporters were impressed by McCoy this offseason for how much more comfortable he is with the system.

I think a lot of people think of the glory years of Westbrook instead of the reality: Westbrook was a great pass catcher with poor "between the tackles" running skill for most of his career. He was injured often enough to never play a full 16 games. In the two years Westbrook took it between the tackles he produced great rushing totals but only lasted two years while never really having the full load put on him.

If you ask me, McCoy is on the same trajectory as Westbrook and just needs to toughen up a bit as a rusher.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LMack » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Where do y'all rank him amongst the likes of Jamaal Charles, Johnathan Stewart, Joseph Addai, Knowshown Moreno, Matt Forte? I have him as a low end RB2 in non PPR leagues.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Next

Return to Football Talk