Rain=Good or Bad for WR? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rain=Good or Bad for WR?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rain=Good or Bad for WR?

Postby Cupertino_11 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:30 am

Haven't seen this discussion up before and I'm curious myself. In wet weather conditions, you'd think the WR has the advantage since the DB cannot fully anticipate the cuts. As long as the ball gets changed out regularly (I assume it does) rainy weather would seem to benefit more than hinder a WR.

Thoughts?
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rain=Good or Bad for WR?

Postby Big Game JLo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:48 am

It was always my assumption that anything like rain, snow & wind have the most affect on the ball when it is in the air / being thrown. With a wet ball, one would think that handing it off would be the safe bet. Hence, WR's would be adversely affected the most.
Big Game JLo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:26 am

Well poor footing makes it difficult for an offense to maintain good timing and a wet ball is harder to catch.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:36 am

It depends on the specific weather conditions and how it affects the field.

I'll start with the fields. Newer stadiums use field turf and footing is only slightly different. There might be the occasional slip, but for the most part this won't affect anything. On real grass the field can get muddy and slick. Because the DBs need to react they have a tendency to slip until they wear longer cleats. This keeps them from slipping but they also lose speed. Faster WRs who run good routes will benefit. Snow will change any field to slippery conditions.

As for the weather conditions, light to moderate rain with little wind doesn't really affect too much. But heavy rain pushes the ball down and calls for shorter passes. This means flankers who run deep routes will not get thrown to as much. Snow also can affect distance because of the temperature drop (I can't remember how this works, but I've read it before). And obviously in strong wind conditions you're not going to throw the ball deep unless you really need to or your guy is wide open.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cupertino_11 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Great replies....thanks. There are so many variables to look at when projecting a player's potential on a week to week basis (injuries, defensive matchup, quality of QB) that I often overlook weather conditions. It's been ingrained in my head that poor field conditions will result in poor fantasy numbers, but maybe that's not entirely true. Appreciate all the examples Biju.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk