What You Learned: Weeek One - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What You Learned: Weeek One

Moderator: Football Moderators

What You Learned: Weeek One

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:26 pm

Colston is not a WR1- Some may have drafted him like one this offseason, but they spread the ball around so much he loses so much value. I'd consider trading him in a deal that netted me someone like Mike Williams (TB), who, while in a clearly inferior offense, is at least as talented and will be the most-targeted WR on his team.

Minnesota's offensive line is in shambles- Only the left side, with Steve Hutchinson and Bryant McKinnie, can play. The C and right side couldn't get any push-back off the line. Adrian Peterson was his typical bowling-ball self- he just had to run over would-be tacklers in the backfield first, before he could get to the line of scrimmage.

Greg Camarillo is an add- He didn't see much time till the 4th, but Favre targeted him heavily once he did. He led the team in receptions.
Last edited by Kareighuis on Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What I learned from Weeek One

Postby biju » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:34 pm

Kareighuis wrote:Colston is not a WR1- Some may have drafted him like one this offseason, but they spread the ball around so much he loses so much value. I'd consider trading him in a deal that netted me someone like Mike Williams (TB), who, while in a clearly inferior offense, is at least as talented and will be the most-targeted WR on his team.

Minnesota's offensive line is in shambles- Only the left side, with Steve Hutchinson and Bryant McKinnie, can play. The C and right side couldn't get any push-back off the line. Adrian Peterson was his typical bowling-ball self- he just had to run over would-be tacklers in the backfield first, before he could get to the line of scrimmage.

Greg Camarillo is an add- He didn't see much time till the 4th, but Favre targeted him heavily once he did. He led the team in receptions.

Actually, he didn't lead the team in receptions. He led the WRs in yardage.

I agree that Camarillo is an add, but I wouldn't insert him in the lineup until he and Favre show they are on the same page. It looked like Favre led him too much twice. Speaking of not on the same page, it's clear Favre screwed up by not reporting to preseason earlier. He didn't have any rapport with his receivers. I'm not so sure he'll be welcome back in Minnesota next year if he struggles during the beginning of the season again and then tries to get out of camp.

I would also go so far to say as the entire O-line looked bad last night, not just the right side. McKinnie and Hutchinson got smoked a few times when they played my Seahawks as well. We stopped Adrian Peterson at the goal line on a play that saw Mebane throw Hutchinson back about 4 yards.

Also, in classic fashion, I disagree with trading Colston for Mike Williams. Where did all this WR rookie hype come from? The only reason a rookie WR have more fantasy points than Colston this year is if Colston gets injured and sits for more than 4 games. Now trading Colston for a receiver that has 1100/10 potential would be smart. Mike Williams is a WR3 at best for this year.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Re: What I learned from Week One

Postby Big Game JLo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:05 pm

I do concur that Colston is not as good as his ADP which is why I avoided him at that price. New Orleans does spread the ball around a lot and it can be very frustrating as a Colston owner. With that said, don't even think about trading him for a Mike Williams-esque player. That's just ridiculous talk!

I also agree with adding Camarillo. I too wouldn't start him, but I would add him and stick him on the bench to see what rapport he builds with Favre.

--------------------------------------------------------------

10 Team Head-to-Head League:
QB: Philip Rivers
WR: Miles Austin, Roddy White, Wes Welker, Terrell Owens, Dez Bryant
RB: Chris Johnson, Arian Foster, Knowshon Moreno, CJ Spiller, Marion Barber
TE: Visanthe Shiancoe, Owen Daniels
K: Neil Rackers
Def: Philadelphia Eagles
Big Game JLo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:15 pm

biju wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:Greg Camarillo is an add- He didn't see much time till the 4th, but Favre targeted him heavily once he did. He led the team in receptions.

Actually, he didn't lead the team in receptions. He led the WRs in yardage.

I "mis-spoke". I meant he led WRs in receiving yardage.

biju wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:Colston is not a WR1- Some may have drafted him like one this offseason, but they spread the ball around so much he loses so much value. I'd consider trading him in a deal that netted me someone like Mike Williams (TB), who, while in a clearly inferior offense, is at least as talented and will be the most-targeted WR on his team.

Also, in classic fashion, I disagree with trading Colston for Mike Williams. Where did all this WR rookie hype come from? The only reason a rookie WR have more fantasy points than Colston this year is if Colston gets injured and sits for more than 4 games. Now trading Colston for a receiver that has 1100/10 potential would be smart. Mike Williams is a WR3 at best for this year.

I didn't mean a 1-1 swap. I am considering a more complex trade that got you, among others, Mike Williams. Say, a "downgrade" at WR1 from Colston (say, to Welker or Boldin) for an upgrade at WR3-ish- Austin Collie or Mohamed Mossaquoi, say. Or, you could make it even more complicated than that.

Another thing that surprised me- I've watched Shiancoe since he left the Giants for Minnesota. Reports always talked about his really good hands, fairly good route-running, but made no mention of any speed. Imagine my surprise when Minnesota sent their possession TE up the seam to attack NO's secondary deep. His good hands were on display as he caught several over the shoulder passes- one of them the TD.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Big Game JLo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:34 pm

I actually believe that was not the designed play when Minnesota came out of the huddle. If I'm not mistaken, that was an audible due to the way that New Orleans set up their safeties defensively.

Although I suppose an audible would also be considered a "designed" play... :-*
Big Game JLo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: What You Learned: Weeek One

Postby Hippo45 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:37 pm

What I learned is that Hartley will be cut by the Saints before the season is over. I bet they pick up Hauschka by week 4.
Hippo45
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby SameSongNDance » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:27 pm

I've drafted Colston every year, ever since he came into the league as a WR/TE haha. I've learned my lesson though and stayed away from him this year. The Saints truly have too many effective weapons to count on anyone other than Brees. I like Colston as a solid WR2 but that definitely didn't reflect on his ADP this year. He actually may be a good buy low candidate after this first week.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:27 pm

It will have to take an injury to one of the other Saints WRs for Colston to re-gain WR1 value. There's simply way too many weapons on that offense for Brees.
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:53 am

I'd be scared if I had Percy Harvin (or any Vikes WR really). Not only because of the stats, but he just doesn't look good as the WR1 right now. Nor does he have anyone to take the "WR1" pressure off of him.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby justinj312 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:54 am

I learned that MIN better give ADP the ball 30x a game until Farve's in-season minicamp is over.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk