Joshua Cribbs still doing returns? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Joshua Cribbs still doing returns?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Joshua Cribbs still doing returns?

Postby Tiki Fan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm hearing all sorts of different reports on whether Joshua Cribbs is still going to be returning kicks and punts this year. Has anyone heard anything deifnitive, so I can make a decision on him in my return yards league?

Thanks.
Tiki Fan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Joshua Cribbs still doing returns?

Postby biju » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:07 pm

I just read that he's being taken off returns this year and focusing strictly on offense. As a matter of fact, this article:

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x861586 ... land-debut

says that Cribbs himself said he wouldn't cover punts or kickoffs. It could be misdirection, but I doubt it.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Niner Memories » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:12 pm

He is not being taken off kick returns, just the opposite side. He is not covering kicks like he used to. He was a gunner for his whole career and was great at it(led team in special teams tackles), but no longer.
Niner Memories
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Tiki Fan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:14 pm

This rotoworld post is what started confusing the issue:

Joshua Cribbs-WR- Browns Sep. 8 - 8:46 am et

Josh Cribbs won't cover kicks and punts this year for the first time in his five-year career.

The Browns really do appear serious about using Cribbs more as a pure wide receiver. However, he won't get enough targets there to warrant fantasy consideration in normal leagues, even with those extra Wildcat packages. Cribbs remains a real asset solely in return-yardage leagues, where he remains the primary kick and punt returner.
Source: Canton Repository

Meanwhile, CBS Sports has this post:

Cribbs in receiver mode now: Browns WR Josh Cribbs will face the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 1. A highly touted kick returner throughout much of his NFL career, Browns coach Eric Mangini has relieved him of his returning duties in order to allow him to focus more on his responsibilities as a receiver. However, he is expected to be behind Mohamed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie in the pecking order going into the regular season.
(Updated 09/10/2010)
Injury Report
No information available at this time (Updated 9/10/10).
Fantasy Analysis
The Buccaneers present a formidable first test for a relatively unknown passing offense in Cleveland, led by new QB Jake Delhomme.They finished last season ranked 10th against the pass, allowing 207.4 yards per game. While we do expect Cribbs to expand his role as a receiver this season in his first year in a receiver-first mentality, we aren't close to ready to proclaim him a reliable starter in any Fantasy format. In fact, now that his biggest asset to Fantasy owners has been taken away, he is a player who should be on the waiver wire in most formats. Monitor him in the early going to see if he can beat out Robiskie for looks.
(Updated 09/10/2010).

So, does this mean that he is just not "covering" kickoffs and punts to the opposing team? Or he's not on special teams at all??

As a Cribbs owner in a return yardage league, I'm very concerned!
Tiki Fan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Football Talk