2010-11 Polls/Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby Metroid » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Week 13 Rankings

Well, not a lot changed near the top...except Nebraska making me look silly for mentioning they had an outside shot at the title game. Sheesh. :-[

:-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:09 am

Metroid wrote:except Nebraska making me look silly for mentioning they had an outside shot at the title game.

Dude. Seriously. 16/145 vs. 2/10. You cannot have a penalty discrepancy like that and blame Nebraska for a three-point loss. Something's rotten in Denmark, Met.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:22 am

I actually didn't get to see the game here in Oregon, but yeah that isn't right. 8-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:25 am

knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:except Nebraska making me look silly for mentioning they had an outside shot at the title game.

Dude. Seriously. 16/145 vs. 2/10. You cannot have a penalty discrepancy like that and blame Nebraska for a three-point loss. Something's rotten in Denmark, Met.

I'm sure that the reffing wasn't perfect, but at the end of the day, a penalty discrepancy like that screams that Nebraska should have had more discipline. I only saw a little bit of the game, but I've got to believe there were factors of both bad reffing and poor discipline on Nebraska's part. Refs are rarely out to get a team.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:32 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I'm sure that the reffing wasn't perfect, but at the end of the day, a penalty discrepancy like that screams that Nebraska should have had more discipline. I only saw a little bit of the game, but I've got to believe there were factors of both bad reffing and poor discipline on Nebraska's part. Refs are rarely out to get a team.

Refs are absolutely out to get a team that is leaving their conference at the end of the season. I'd be interested to see the total discrepancy in penalties called on Nebraska during the conference season so far.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Flesh, you should watch the game before you comment. There were numerous penalties that should have been called on A&M, but weren't.

I do not give the excuse that "the refs lost us the game." We should have scored more than six points, that's completely on us. Yes, our #1 QB was significantly injured, our #2 is out for the season and our #3 is a deer in headlights. As horrible as it is to say, I'm almost coming to the conclusion that we should burn the redshirt of Brion Carnes and see if he can lead this team. Lord knows our other QBs can't.

However, that is not the whole story. The other part of this story is that the officiating has been decidedly against Nebraska in three of our closest games. Against Texas, against Iowa State and against A&M Nebraska was flagged for 32 penalties for 290 yards. Combined, Texas, A&M and ISU were flagged nine times for 103 yards. That's a 3:1 ratio in penalties and penalty yards in our three closest Big XII games.

Fun Fact - Greg Burks was the head official of all three of those games.

Another Fun Fact - in conference games that Mr. Burks didn't officiate, Nebraska's penalties and yards were nearly even with those of their opponent, 20/163 for opponents and 25/210 for Nebraska.

So you have an imperfect Nebraska team struggling at QB with injuries and inconsistent play resulting in difficulty moving the ball. That's on our team and our coaches, and we are guilty of not fixing this problem. At the same time you have a set of officials who have called games significantly detrimentally to one team, the most high-profile team to leave the conference.

While these losses are squarely on the shoulders of Nebraska (don't drop eight passes, four of which were TDs vs. Texas and we win, score ONE touchdown vs. A&M and we win), you cannot ignore the penalties, and the relationship they played in these games.

Texas A&M got three first downs via penalty Saturday night. All three came during their final two drives, both of which resulted in field goals, the final of which was the game-winner. With the score tied 3-3 late in the third quarter, Texas A&M began the first of their final two drives. In the first drive, Nebraska was called for two separate penalties which gave A&M first downs - the first on 2nd-and-10 and the second on 3rd-and-8. The first was Courtney Osborne's PI call, which was legit since Osborne went through the back of the receiver, but the second was the PI call on Dennard where both players were fighting for position. It could also have been called on the A&M WR, who clearly hooked Dennard. Should have been a mutual contact no call, but instead the close call went against Nebraska. But wait, there's more....

The next, and most egregious, came on A&M's final scoring drive. On 3rd-and-11 from Nebraska's 49 yard line, Tannehill throws an incomplete pass under pressure. However, Osborne was called for perhaps the worst call of the game, a personal foul for roughing the passer, even though Osborne put a textbook hit (shoulder pad into chest) into Tannehill as Tannehill was finishing his throwing motion. This gives TAMU first down on Nebraska's 34, and the Aggies go on to kick the game-winning field goal.

Of these three calls, one was completely legitimate, one was questionable and likely should not have been called, and the third was horrifically wrong. The third led to the game-winning field goal.

That's hard to swallow.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:54 pm

That's completely legit, Knapp, and I'm not doubting the fact that you have a case. With that said, one thing that does bother me is when people blame the refs for a loss, because MOST of the time the complaint is not legitimate. Now, I saw only roughly a quarter of the game, so it is easily possible that this is one of the rare occasions during which you have a legit complaint, in which case it really does suck that the refs had such a big influence on the game.

Also, it's definitely possible that the reason I hate that complaint is due to the fact that, as a Michigan fan, I'm frequently exposed to the complain of "woe is me, Michigan gets all the calls" crap that follows around a lot of storied programs (the same thing happens to Notre Dame, USC, and other teams that people love to hate).

Anyway, I go home for Thanksgiving break tomorrow, at which point I should have some time to catch up on some of the stuff I missed, so at that point I'll take your advice and watch the game to decide for myself.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:17 pm

If you want a biased view of the calls, I'd say about ten of the penalties against Nebraska were legit. A few were questionable and could have gone either way, but inexplicably all went against Nebraska. The only huge, glaring, horrific call that is clearly unquestionably wrong is the roughing-the-passer penalty which kept A&M's game-winning drive alive. That was penalty #16, and sealed the deal for the Aggies. If they don't make that call on third and 11, A&M punts, and even if Nebraska doesn't score, the game likely goes into overtime, where I like our chances. They made that call, our defense reeled, and only pulled it together again down by the goal line.

We were in Tannehill's face all game long and had three sacks. A&M started two true freshmen at both tackles. But not one time did A&M commit holding. ;-7
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to College Football