2010-11 Polls/Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:56 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I agree Met. If Boise St. makes the National Championship over even a 1 loss team in the Big 10, Pac 10, Big 12, or SEC, I'm going to be sick.

Likewise. Cheap-Shot U needs to toughen up their schedule... then let's talk. :^
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:37 am

Nfl Fan wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I agree Met. If Boise St. makes the National Championship over even a 1 loss team in the Big 10, Pac 10, Big 12, or SEC, I'm going to be sick.

Likewise. Cheap-Shot U needs to toughen up their schedule... then let's talk. :^

While I agree that Boise State's schedule is soft and does not measure up to the upper echelon teams, I have to say they're doing just about the best they can. They did schedule a VT team that was on the rise when they were penciled in. I mean they were #10 to start the season. Also they scheduled a Beavers team that also had been showing promise when they were penciled in. They were #24 when Boise played them. Obviously Wyoming and Toledo are cupcake out of conference games, but they did schedule a top ACC team and a decent Pac-10 team. The problem is, Boise St. is a victim of their own weak conference and they can only play who they can play. It's easy to say they should just schedule all tough non conference games, but that's way easier said than done. For one, it's tough to schedule those games advance, the football landscape changes drastically year to year. It's difficult to predict who is going to be a "quality opponent." Also, I really believe there is some truth to big name teams not wanting to play Boise. Why would an Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc. want to play Boise State? How does that benefit their program? I'm not saying any of those schools have actually turned down Boise St. but I've read articles saying that the Big 10 and SEC both have not been receptive to offers from Boise St.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Solid points all around. Maybe there's been some discussion in another thread, but it seems to me that the Pac 10 is the Pac 12 now and almost was the Pac 16. There were a whole bunch of teams realigning and moving about, and discussions about this possibility and that possibility. I didn't hear much about Boise State looking to jump ship and play Big-boy football, did you?

Sorry, but you don't just get to play two average teams and a bunch of cupcakes and expect a #1 or #2 finish in the BCS.

IMHO! ;-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Well, Boise can't just say, "we want to play in the Pac 10" (or any conference for that matter) and then they're in. Teams have to be invited. The reason Boise wasn't one of the schools invited is because of one or both of these things: 1) They don't measure up to the Pac 10's high academic standards. or 2) They don't meet the other sports required to join, or measure up. Yes they are good at football, but just being good at football isn't going to get you into a major conference. The Pac 10 prides itself on having high standards as far as academics, and being multifaceted as far as athletics. I can't say for sure, but I think think Boise is pretty much a one trick pony...er Bronco, when it comes to athletics. \

I agree that they should not be this high in the polls based on their resume, but it's easier said than done when people say, "play a tougher schedule" or "join a big boy conference." Boise is doing the best they can with what they have. However, "doing the best they can" isn't good enough to earn a shot at a National Championship...not even close. Also you have to remember that these are still just polls, it will be interesting to see where Boise is when the first BCS rankings come out.

I have to give Boise props, the transformation they have gone though in such a short period of time is pretty impressive. They literally waltzed into the WAC in 2001 and proceeded to dominate the conference. 10 years later they're moving into the MWC. Not a huge improvement from the WAC, but a step up.

Oh yeah, I might be alone here, but I really hope they don't change the title of the conference from Pac 10 to Pac 12. I've always liked the ring of Pac 10. Plus the conference just revamped the logo and Oregon's brand spanking new field has the new logo all over it. I suppose I'd be okay with "the 12 Pac." :*) :-B
Metroid

Postby Sandrock » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:30 pm

The Boise State wrestling program is always one of the best in the nation. But outside of Football and Wrestling, Boise State is lacking academically and athletically. They'd join a Big 6 Conference at the drop of a hat if given the chance though, no question about it.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:59 am

Sandrock wrote:The Boise State wrestling program is always one of the best in the nation. But outside of Football and Wrestling, Boise State is lacking academically and athletically. They'd join a Big 6 Conference at the drop of a hat if given the chance though, no question about it.

Yup, Boise would absolutely join one of the big 6 if they were offered.
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Nebraska offered a couple of different packages to Boise St, but they turned us down. It's BS, because they say "anyone, anywhere, any time" but what they really mean is, "You pay us enough and we'll come play you."

I also get a kick out of Stewart Mandel's column HERE where he throws Nebraska under the bus because THIS YEAR we're playing a pretty weak schedule, due to some truly awful OOC games being scheduled by our former AD (fired) to get our former coach (fired) some easy wins. The problem is that over the past decade, Nebraska's worst SOS was 56, while Boise's best was 74th. This year, when it all pans out, Nebraska's schedule will end up higher than Boise's, again, but probably not by much. It still chaps my ass to see Mandel use us as an example because we have a crazy weak schedule ONE TIME. :-[

That said, I think Boise belongs in the upper echelon. I think they'd beat Nebraska on a neutral field right now. They're a good team, and if they win out I'd like to see them get a shot at the title, if for no other reason than to make up for that BS we saw last year where they got shafted playing TCU.

Bottom line is, the BCS is everyone's enemy. If Boise could fight their way through a playoff to the NC game there would be no more doubters. And we could stop calling it the "Mythical" National Championship game.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:23 pm

I hadn't heard about Boise turning down the huskers. That's lame. :-t

Anyway, I don't care if Boise does go undefeated, that doesn't earn them the right to play Bama or Ohio St. or Oregon or Nebraska or whoever in the title game, even if one or all of those those teams have a loss. Their resume just does not and will not measure up. I mean really....come on. And Boise did not get "shafted" last year. What, were they supposed to get into the title game over Texas? Or are you one of those who think they should have played a Florida or Ohio St. or some crap? Both TCU and Boise should have been happy just to be in the game they were.

I used to be a supporter of a playoff, but anymore I just don't see how it would fix a damn thing. It really doesn't matter if we have a playoff or not, teams will still get left out and "more fair" still isn't fair. Even if we had a playoff we'd still have to have some entity like the BCS to rank teams and decide who get's in the playoffs. Even if we add a plus 1 or 2 or whatever, we still have to have an entity like the BCS to rank the teams to put them into the bowl games first. College football is what it is and I still have yet to hear a sound scenario to "fix" it.
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:56 pm

That whole plus-1 garbage is... garbage. We need a 16-team playoff, and that's that.

"More fair" really is a better way to go. The bowl system gets us teams with losing records in post-season play. Aside from the fact that it's football, I don't care one whit about the Poulon Weed-Eater Bowl, or the Chik-Fil-A bowl, or whatever. In a bowl season I care about Nebraska's bowl and the MNC game. Even the other BCS bowls are just more football. With a playoff, every game features a team that has a shot at winning the title. In the BCS system, only one game features teams with a chance. Playoffs simply mean better football.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Speak for yourself, I personally love bowl season and watch just about every game I can. It's not that I'm against a playoff system it's that I don't see it fixing anything. I guess I really don't care all that much except I wouldn't want the bowls completely thrown out. Maybe the 16 team playoff could start with something like the Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, Gator, Sun, Liberty....or some crap and then taking the 8 winners into a playoff. I dunno, I just really like the bowl system I guess.
Metroid

PreviousNext

Return to College Football