2010-11 Polls/Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby knapplc » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:57 am

It certainly won't fix things 100%, but it's better than the current system.

The larger problem is that Div I is just too big. It's too unwieldy to have a true champion from a 120-team pool. The talent disparity between the top 25 and the bottom 25 is ridiculous. Many of these lower-level programs simply don't belong in the same class as the upper-tier schools. I know it's a pipe dream, but the top tier should really be pared down to 64 teams, max. This is why I'm not against the Superconferences that we're talking about over the last year or so. Better football all around, I think, plus it would be way easier to determine who should or shouldn't go to the post season, and then you could have a true championship game.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:55 pm

knapplc wrote:That whole plus-1 garbage is... garbage. We need a 16-team playoff, and that's that.

"More fair" really is a better way to go. The bowl system gets us teams with losing records in post-season play. Aside from the fact that it's football, I don't care one whit about the Poulon Weed-Eater Bowl, or the Chik-Fil-A bowl, or whatever. In a bowl season I care about Nebraska's bowl and the MNC game. Even the other BCS bowls are just more football. With a playoff, every game features a team that has a shot at winning the title. In the BCS system, only one game features teams with a chance. Playoffs simply mean better football.

I can't see the bowl system every completely disappearing, so the 16 team playoff is relatively unrealistic. As much as you don't think a plus one would be great, it certainly would be better than what we have now and it would definitely be a step in the right direction.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:45 am

Plus-one is simply a step toward a real playoff. Don't kid yourself to think that if they went to a plus-one that it would stop there. I'm "for" a plus-one format if for no other reason than that it will eventually lead to a playoff.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:56 am

knapplc wrote:Plus-one is simply a step toward a real playoff. Don't kid yourself to think that if they went to a plus-one that it would stop there. I'm "for" a plus-one format if for no other reason than that it will eventually lead to a playoff.

That's exactly what I said. A step in the right direction ;-D

I agree that a 16 team playoff would be awesome, but I do like the plus one system for now, because at least it's better than what we have.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:19 pm

Ah. My bad. I misunderstood what you were getting at, apparently.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby roninmedia » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Two opposite sides of the story. Someone is lying. %-6

I think Boise State had concerns over the buyout clauses that normally in place in the contract concerning a match-up that would be a two-for-one and a home and home series. The power conference teams will likely dictate that the first game of the home & home or quite possibly the first two games in the two-for-one will be at the power conference's place. If they win the first match-ups, they will buy-out the remaining games as it is better from a football and financial standpoint to buy out the away game and make more money in an additional home game the following year.

I do think Boise State has enough name and media recognition to make some demands as far as negotiations go for ballgames although the real powerhouses still control it (Florida hasn't left the state for a non-conference game for a long time). It's a different world now where you go play at a place just for the recognition and pride of "beating anyone, anywhere". Athletic departments must look out for themselves.

Fresno State is more of the play anyone, anywhere team.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:59 pm

It is reasonable for Boise to recoup travel expenses if they're doing a one-and-done deal with a team like Nebraska, but anything beyond that is ridiculous. Further, at least in Nebraska's situation, we offered several packages which included a return trip to play on their ridiculous blue field, all of which they declined.

I have no problem including Boise in the conversation about good teams, but there is no way I'm going to agree that they should get paid by a top school to come play there. Top schools don't pay to play each other. It's expected that you make your own bank when you have your home game.

You'll also notice that since Nebraska went public with Boise's refusal to play them in any way that Boise's administration has stopped publicly griping that "nobody will play us." That's not an accident.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Nfl Fan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:50 am

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:10 pm

That's cool...kinda sucks though that Oregon has a bye the first weekend the BCS poll comes out.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:58 am

Man Boise State's SOS sure took a major hit tonight. Oregon State losing to Washington and Nevada losing to Hawaii. If Boise is #1 when the BCS rankings come out tomorrow I think I'll puke. But then I think I'll be a little relieved. Not sure I want Oregon to have that #1 pressure, it hasn't been working out the past couple weeks. :-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to College Football